Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple continues to make market share gains according to online trend research firm Net Applications.

Last month, Net Applications reported that Apple's share was up to 6.8% with corresponding declining Windows market share. Today, Net Applications reports that the Mac has crested the 7% barrier and is at 7.31% for December 2007. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows OS continues to decline in market share, with a still dominant 91.79% in December having eroded from 92.42% in November. Apple (and to a lesser extent, Linux) have been steadily taking market share from Microsoft for the past 6 months.

CFT0101_082004217CE_500.gif

Courtesy, Net Applications

In contrast to market share numbers by firms like Gartner which combine quarterly results from the industry to give market share of sales, Net Applications market share numbers attempt to represent installed base of internet users. More on how Net Applications gets its numbers...

Article Link

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
More like over 9000, right?

I digress. It's good to hear especially after getting a lot of Windows + crappy Terminal clients + Xming to switch over.

Not that Xming is a bad thing.

Everyone drooled over my MacBook's looks. I drooled over Core Foundation, 64-bit, and Terminal.app.

aridon

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
I looked really briefly at that link on how they calculated the data and they talked about Iphones and such under the browsers section. I'm sure the extra 5 million safari's being used helped things some.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
This is great! It's not surprising though. People are really starting to get it here in the city. I'm beginning to see more Macs than PCs in cafes these days.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
I'm not surprised. I had a friend who asked for a Mac for Christmas a few years ago. His dad said that there was no way that he would ever buy a Mac. This year, my friend asked again and because of Boot Camp, his dad went with the Mac.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I give much of the credit to Vista. Microsoft may as well have named it Windows Frank Stallone. It's kind of like MS is a football team that's beating itself- fumbling, throwing interceptions, penalties, etc. Worst OS ever. That, and OSX just being superior, is my theory.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
7% is impressive. A few years ago, it was at 2%. 10% would be nice.

What this really means is that Apple hardware sales continue to increase faster than the rate of other "PC" sellers. This means more money for Apple and more adoption of OSX.

We will NEVER see 50% Apple market share. Apple can't build that many computers. In addition, we will NEVER see 50% OSX market share unless Apple opens it to generic PCs. We all know that will not happen.

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
We will NEVER see 50% Apple market share. Apple can't build that many computers. In addition, we will NEVER see 50% OSX market share unless Apple opens it to generic PCs. We all know that will not happen.

The question is...would we even WANT that to happen?

Don't we enjoy being part of the niche market and ignored by the virus writers?

countach

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
Sure you could see 50% market share. Apple is quite capable of contracting out that much manufacturing. Nobody thought at one time that MS could have 95% market share.

As for the stats, a .5% point move in one month is HUGE. If it continued the whole year that would be 6% points in a year, and AAPL stock would be $500 in a year.

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6

I agree we will never see Apple with 50% market share. But with the kind of company Apple has become in the last 6 or 7 years, I am sure they could take care of any demand that comes. As long as that demand is organic in nature, as it is currently.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I have to say the OS X is just a more peaceful experience in my opinion. The market share being steady would of made me happy but to see it increase is even better.

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Inreased Market Share

I'm not sure how accurate the calculations are however going by interactions I have had with friends personally, I'm finding more and more people are switching to Macs. It's slow but it is definitely increasing. I've met quite a few strangers at John Lewis stores and Apple Stores contemplating the move over to Macs and given them a gentle nudge. Mind you I've taken on a few die hard Windows sales people too who then push more customers to the Mac market because of their sales tactics.

Even today a technophobe friend of mine is definite about his next purchase being a Mac within the next 2 months.

I agree with other postings. Get to 10 (or 15) percent and momentum will generate.

Working on 4 family members at this time to move over.

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006

Valid question. While an increase is good, too much could end up a beast.

Then again, as a lot of those windows viruses are because of microsoft, has Apple ticked people off like that? While not every virus out there is written under those premises, a good share of them are.

I think the biggest obstacle against a large (25%+) market share is attitude, competence and mindset. To illustrate, there's a lot of lemmings in line for the cliff jump.

I've got a buddy that I laugh at all the time while he reinstalls his OS because its so screwed up. Now he wants to move to even more parts, and vista. I laughed so hard I cried. He just can't comprehend that there is something better, that would keep out of his way while he works. He's a great guy, but sometimes a little dense I guess. To be honest, I think he's scared/intimidated by the thought of not having windows, and having to learn something new. Even if it's a breeze, it can be a scary thing to folks who honestly don't know what they're doing.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Oh no! As market share increases, my self-worth is declining!

Time to go full-blown emo.

rezonat0r

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007

I hope that was a joke :) But in case it wasn't...

Virus writers are not ignoring OS X at all. Going down in history as the creator of the first "real" virus for OS X is more than enough to get people trying. It hasn't happened because OS X is relatively secure and has sensible default services running.

macmike47

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
On the road

Good point - while spreading the :apple:love is a kind and generous thing to do, it's quite nice being part of the minority. If Steve and friends keep going at the same rate, the market will no longer be niche.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I think the biggest obstacle against a large (25%+) market share is attitude, competence and mindset. To illustrate, there's a lot of lemmings in line for the cliff jump.

The biggest obstacle to Apple getting that high is profitability and thus price. Apple doesn't sell a PC for under $1000, but that is the VAST majority of the PC market right now, and growing. The Dells and HPs of the world aren't less profitable than Apple because they have crazy expenses, they are less profitable because they don't make 50% profits on the hardware sale like Apple does. Apple will never be able to serve the part of the market for whom $200 in upfront cost makes a large difference.

As they say - "the poor man pays twice"

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Q. Will :apple: be able to keep up with product and production if it reaches 10+?

A. With a growing user base and more revenue, I am certain that :apple: is capable to handle this task. At present and in the past production and demand were not certain.

Q. With :apple: popularity Mac OS X will see more viruses and the sort?

A. Quite possible, its the nature of the beast I am afraid.

Q. Mac OS X needs to be ported to run on average PC for more market share?

A. It's possible to run Mac OS 10.5 on average PC, the problem is that it does not run 100% as native hardware. Profit is the name of :apple: game and market share is cheer second. Seems quality is being pushed down to 3rd and dropping.

Being in the minority for such a long time as a Mac user does not make me envious to reaching 10% or higher. It does not bother me in the least as long as Quality and Experience is attained. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.