Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Picture is out of date.

P1000395.jpg

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Not mine, technically, but... what the hey. Here's the bike i built for my girlfriend a little while ago. Hasn't been ridden much as she's using her winter bike now, though.

(click photo for more info on it)

It's a quick little bastard, that's for sure!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
That's very nice too. I like simple bikes like that. So, fixed and two brakes?

It's a single speed, but it's got a flip-flop hub with a fixed cog on the other side in case she ever needs to do that for some reason. I think she prefers to coast, though, as most of her commute is downhill.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
It's a single speed, but it's got a flip-flop hub with a fixed cog on the other side in case she ever needs to do that for some reason. I think she prefers to coast, though, as most of her commute is downhill.

That's a nice way of doing things. When I eventually go this route (fixed road bike) I'd try and do the same. I haven't ridden fixed before but I'd like the option to go single freewheel as that's how my mtbs are.

Killtrocity

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
I love my bikes.

I have a Cannondale Synapse just like this one, a Rush carbon, and I am waiting on my new Capo. Thank God my dad works at Cannondale. :D

Attachments

• 8PR1_red.jpg
    8PR1_red.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 8SynapseCarbonSL1c_blu.jpg
    8SynapseCarbonSL1c_blu.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 213099442_2bc50cc912.jpg
    213099442_2bc50cc912.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 217

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
My latest....

A second hand On-One Pompino I've bought tonight off one of my mates.

Like the ones posted earlier by livingfortoday and Iamtherealwoody, it's got a flip-flop back wheel for running single speed or fixed if I ever get brave enough :)

Attachments

• 2246085857_1ff33e1190_b.jpg
    2246085857_1ff33e1190_b.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 243

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
My latest....

A second hand On-One Pompino I've bought tonight off one of my mates.

Like the ones posted earlier by livingfortoday and Iamtherealwoody, it's got a flip-flop back wheel for running single speed or fixed if I ever get brave enough :)

The hardest part about fixed gear is stopping, and you already got brakes. Well, that and when you are getting used to it, remembering you cant stop pedaling. Mine was my first fixie. Had planned on going straight to the bike shop and buying a freewheel. But after riding it for about 10 minutes, I fell in love. Youll be fine, and maybe never flip the wheel back.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
OllyW - That's a nice looking bike! Congrats!

Thanks, it rides nice too. I do like steel frames. :)

The hardest part about fixed gear is stopping, and you already got brakes. Well, that and when you are getting used to it, remembering you cant stop pedaling. Mine was my first fixie. Had planned on going straight to the bike shop and buying a freewheel. But after riding it for about 10 minutes, I fell in love. Youll be fine, and maybe never flip the wheel back.

I do intend giving it a go soon. I had a quick spin on one of my mates fixie last year which both terrified me and made me think I've got to get one of those. :D

I'm going to be patient though because I'm still recovering from a shoulder injury I picked up from going over the bars on my Giant Reign at Xmas. I've only rode my bike a couple of times since then and this weekend was the first time I've managed to get away without any major aches and pain afterwards.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
I got hit by a car last week. Completely their fault. I had right of way and they rolled through a stop-sign, looking left while turning right. I got a big hefty check out of it :D

Paid for repairs on my mountain bike that was hit (a Specialized Rock Hopper) and used the money to buy a bunch of new lights, a new lock, and a new bike. I almost bought a fixed-gear (a Surly Steamroller). It was a beautiful bike and I love fixed gears, but I decided to get a road bike. Got this guy for a very good price:
2a83yh2.jpg

2chrrli.jpg

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Nope, I was fine, but thanks for asking.

I was a little shook up/shocked/extremely angry that such incompetent people were driving a car, but that's life for you. I've since started wearing a helmet when riding.

swmr

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Penn State
I am still kinda of new here but I cannot believe I didn't find this thread. I don't have any pictures yet, but I will definitely edit when I get a few.

Curretly:
-Felt z80 road bike. bought last year, added some Shimano clipless and shoes at the purchase, and a Sigma computer
-Converted Sentinal Touring bike into a fixed/free flip flop hub bike. Just finished building it (myself) and I have only ridden it fixed a few times because of the weather.
-Mongoose Mt bike that is pretty crappy, but it gets me around.

Any body else build their own fixie? Mine has a 52t front chainring!!. I had to put on a 20t fixed on the back, and it took me three months to find a 22t freewheel to put on the otherside of the hub. I am still the only person I know with this setup. In 4 bike shops, I only met one person who has sold a 22t freewheel, and he never even got to see the final setup. Soon buying a 18t free to throw on the bike because I have gotten used to the 20 pretty quickly.

I will definitely post again with pictures, but it wont be for at least three weeks.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
That is a pretty crazy setup - you ever think of just getting a smaller chainring? Might make it a bit easier! When I lived in Chicago I ran a 56-13 fixie, but now that I'm in the Twin Cities I just have a 46-17 on my single-speed commuter.

Gonna have to build up a new fixed-gear for getting around the city when the snow melts, for now I'll stick to my single-speed with the huge studded tires!

swmr

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Penn State
Yea but it is old enough and cheap enough of a bike that the cranks are actually attached to the biggest chainring. I would have to replace the cranks as well, and I just don't want to do that quite yet. I am saving all that I can to put towards college/MBP.

I did just apply for a job at my favorite shop though, so who knows what will happen with employee discounts. I might even pick them up for "free" and I just build a bike in exchange for him. Need to get the job first though...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
That is a pretty crazy setup - you ever think of just getting a smaller chainring? Might make it a bit easier! When I lived in Chicago I ran a 56-13 fixie, but now that I'm in the Twin Cities I just have a 46-17 on my single-speed commuter.

Gonna have to build up a new fixed-gear for getting around the city when the snow melts, for now I'll stick to my single-speed with the huge studded tires!

i had no idea that you moved out of chicago! :(

i'm going to be getting a fixed gear this spring hopefully, and use it for around the city and my road bike for commuting to work and back.

swmr

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Penn State

I just noticed those pedals you have on there. I read about those once, but I have never seen or heard about them in real life. How do you like them and where did you pick them up? I have never seen them in any shop before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.