Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garand

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
My wife does a good amount of computer work at home for her business and the desk and chair she uses are both just short of terrible. No space on desk, no leg room under the desk, uncomfortable to sit at, wrong height for keyboard and monitor, etc. She works roughly 600 to 1000 hours per year at the computer and I need to get her a quality workstation/desk chair combo so that she can work with space and with the proper ergonomic posture.

She uses a 2.5 ghz G5 computer, 20" wide screen monitor, she has a format scanner (17x11) I think, two printer - a standard unit that prints on 8 x 12 and a larger HP printer that prints up to 19 x13.

We can dedicate up to one of the walls in the office for her workstation/table top combo - that wall runs about 8' to 9' long.

Starting budget is $2,500 or so. Looking for specific recommendations on furniture or recommendations on which manufacturers to look at.

Thanks.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Hard to beat Anthro workstations IMHO. Lots of flexibility there. Very high quality stuff.

As to comfortable, flexible, and ergonomically correct desk chairs, I'm a big fan of the good old Aeron Chair. I've had mine for years and have never found anything I like better.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
You'll get a ton of people recommending Herman Miller's Aeron chair. Everyone who has one loves it. Someday, I will have one, too.

LOL I second that quote, until that day I will continue to buy £129 office chairs that dont last long :D

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
$1200 for a frakkin' chair? Yowza.

If only I could actually get my clients to pay me once in awhile...

I spend close to 8 hours in the same chair everyday. When you think about how much time you spend using things, a comfortable bed is about the only thing that compares to a comfortable desk chair.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I spend close to 8 hours in the same chair everyday. When you think about how much time you spend using things, a comfortable bed is about the only thing that compares to a comfortable desk chair.
I agree 100% as after having back surgery my chair became very uncomfortible to sit in. One day I sat in a Herman Miller chair for some time while my friend was shopping and it was the nicest chair my back felt in a long time. I was taken back by the price but as stated above, a bed and a chair that you spend a lot of time in/on are well worth the price.

Garand

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Thank you all for the recommendations. My wife configured a workstation wth Anthro and she tried out an Aeron chair at a local store - just loves the chair. The workstation is ordered, being built and will ship in 2-weeks from Anthro and we will be ordering the chair shortly looking for best price.

Totals around $3,100 or so.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I have the Herman Miller Mirra chair, and I love it. I agree with the recommendation for anthro workstations as well. If your office is carpeted, do you have a floor mat for under her chair? If this is the case, it's rather important you invest in a good one. I just got one at chair-mats.com, and am very satisfied with the quality, price, and delivery. The cheap mats they sell at Office Max and Office Depot don't last very long, and you end up replacing them over and over again.

Good luck, and happy shopping!

Oops, didn't see your final response!

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
$3,100 for a workstation? You could have a brand new Mac Pro - Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core) for the same price. :D

Garand

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Blu - telll me about it. The $3,100 actually covered the workstation (1,900) and the new chair (1,200). She needs good equipment.

Maybe next year we can go the new computer route but the dual G5 is fine atm.

Floor mat ordered and on the way thanks digital.

Ibkulguy99

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2006
Zody

Hey-

I had an Aeron but the molded plastic at the front of the seat kept causing my legs to go numb when I sat with my legs extended. Figuring that a blood clot was a real possibility and wouldn't be much fun, I checked out the new Zody. (by Haworth?) It is similar to the Aeron in the mesh back design but has a Gel seat pad (no molded plastic, or mesh seat, no numb legs) and it also has this cool dual lumbar support that my Aeron didn't have.

Check out sitforless.com for prices.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.