Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
I have several programs I installed (like the Gmail email notifier) that should run on start up and be running in the back ground without my having to start them each time I boot. When I installed the program I assumed (I know) this would be taken care of. They ran great till I rebooted but they didn't restart as they should after the system came back up. Did I do something wrong? Click and install were the only options. How do I get this and other programs I want to run on start up to do so?

Thanks

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Did you right click on the icon and select Open At Login?

No, because for some unknown (and stupid if you ask me) reason there is no right click function on the selection bar on the laptop (macbook). I was told it is basically a one-click mouse. Nothing happens if I right click. With a USB mouse I do get the right click function so I need to start using a mouse when I can I guess. Thanks, it was right in front of me but hidden.

Steve

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Neither of the above (2 finger or control) work. I tried them and they select the item but I get no menu.

Did you right click on the icon and select Open At Login?

Also, I have not seen this option in any menu of icons I have right clicked (with a mouse) on.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's strange. Well you can still add Login Items the old fashioned way - through System Preferences. It should be an option in the Accounts pane. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.