Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi,
My girlfriend just bought an iPod Classic, and I was wondering if there's any way of copying MP3's (ripped from my own songs) to the iPod without going 'through' iTunes.

In other words, can the iPod be used as a hard drive to play songs?

I have another MP3 player which can be used with Macs and PCs which does not use any interface of any kind - one simply copies and pastes mp3's to the player and they are 'there'.

I tried copying some of my MP3's to the iPod, and even though they were copied and viewable through Windows Explorer, they did not show up on the iPod when I unseated it from the computer's U.S.B. port.

Also, and this may have something to do with this - I don't know - my MP3's were displaying as Real Audio mpeg's on my girlfriend's computer, even though when 'clicked' on, they play in various browsers as MP3's (I wonder if Real Audio is her default browser/player for MP3, and for some reason has mis-assigned the property type as mpegs).

If anyone can help me out here, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks,
GVDV

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi Techlover828,
Thanks for the reply.

However, I don't know what ipodlinux is, other than guessing that it's the OS/an OS that can be used with the ipod.

Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,
GVDV

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi PhilA,
Thanks for your answer.

I read on another thread that iPods can be formatted to either work with Macs or PC's; does your answer still hold true if the iPod is used with a PC?

Also, I read elsewhere that the iTunes encoder is great for making AAC files, but that the LAME encoder is better than iTunes for making MP3's. This suggests to me that my girlfriend could have her daughter transfer her AAC's from her Mac, and that I could transfer my LAME encoded MP3's to her iPod so that she'd have the best of both worlds.

Would the iPod play both MP3's created on a PC and AAC's created on a Mac (transferring both, I presume, through iTunes)?

Thanks,
GVDV

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi Mojitochica,
Many thanks for your reply.

Floola does, indeed look like what I need.

However, what is the advantage of Floola over iTunes? Is it that Floola resides on the iPod (i.e. is portable) and, because it is also cross platform compatible, will work on any computer into which the iPod is plugged?

If this isn't the case, then it seems to me that floola would just be a substitute for iTunes.

Just to clarify, as well, I presume that it's possible to have both ACC and MP3's on ipods at the same time.

Thanks once again,
GVDV

mojitochica

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2007
USA
Gvdv, you're welcome. The answer to your questions is yes, and Floola allows copying mp3s from your iPod to any computer easily, which iTunes does not. Yes, you can have ACC and MP3s on an iPod at the same time. If Floola doesn't work out for you, YamiPod is another option.

Hi Mojitochica,
Many thanks for your reply.

Floola does, indeed look like what I need.

However, what is the advantage of Floola over iTunes? Is it that Floola resides on the iPod (i.e. is portable) and, because it is also cross platform compatible, will work on any computer into which the iPod is plugged?

If this isn't the case, then it seems to me that floola would just be a substitute for iTunes.

Just to clarify, as well, I presume that it's possible to have both ACC and MP3's on ipods at the same time.

Thanks once again,
GVDV

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
mojitochica and thelimit,
Many, many thanks for this very useful, clear and simple information.

Even though I am a seasoned PC user, I have found Apple products to be a little more difficult to understand than I had thought. (The learning curve for my new Mac Pro has been harder than I had at first thought, partly because Apple's help files have not been all that useful).

So, the simplicity and conciseness of your information about the ipod has been very much appreciated. In fairness to Apple, a few minutes ago I installed 4GB RAM in my Mac Pro fairly easily, so I do like the physical design.

Many thanks, once again, to both of you for your help.

All the best,
GVDV

Jecko024

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
im not sure if it works as well with the new classics but I have heard many great things about Winamp.....my cousin used to use it and I really liked it (to lazy to switch though :)

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Jecko024,
Thanks for your message and suggestion; Winamp was covered in one of the two links that thelimit posted in this thread. It got good reviews.

Check it out.

Thanks once again,
GVDV

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hi,
My girlfriend just bought an iPod Classic, and I was wondering if there's any way of copying MP3's (ripped from my own songs) to the iPod without going 'through' iTunes.

Here's a thought: It's your girlfriend's iPod. Instead of putting music on it in the same way that millions and millions and millions of people do, you try to figure out a different way. What does she think about it? What do _you_ think she thinks about it? Do you think she is happy that you want her to use the iPod in a different way than everyone else on the planet?

I can see what will happen once you split up: She will tell you everything she hates about you. Like "remember back when I bought that iPod? Everyone else plugs it into their Mac and whoosh all the music gets copied to their iPod, but noooooo, that wasn't good enough for you, you had to muck about with it, and you spoilt it for me. I couldn't stand that iPod anymore because you little prick just couldn't leave it alone and let me put the music on it the way _I_ wanted but you had to be different from everyone else and messed it up because it had to be done the way _you_ wanted to do it".

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Here's a thought: It's your girlfriend's iPod. Instead of putting music on it in the same way that millions and millions and millions of people do, you try to figure out a different way. What does she think about it? What do _you_ think she thinks about it? Do you think she is happy that you want her to use the iPod in a different way than everyone else on the planet?

I can see what will happen once you split up: She will tell you everything she hates about you. Like "remember back when I bought that iPod? Everyone else plugs it into their Mac and whoosh all the music gets copied to their iPod, but noooooo, that wasn't good enough for you, you had to muck about with it, and you spoilt it for me. I couldn't stand that iPod anymore because you little prick just couldn't leave it alone and let me put the music on it the way _I_ wanted but you had to be different from everyone else and messed it up because it had to be done the way _you_ wanted to do it".

You owe me a new keyboard. I just spat out my brew with laughter. :D :p

(PS. Her iPod wouldn't be the only one in the world that doesn't sync though iTunes. I have mine syncing through Windows Media Player with no problems and I beleive many 3rd party media players like WinAmp do it out the box.)

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013

Here's a thought don't bump 5 yr old threads when you have absolutely nothing useful to say. It's also absolutely none of your business what his gf thinks about what he's trying to figure out.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi appleisking,
Thanks for the support.

gnasher729's message raises many, many questions in my mind. However, the content of his/her message emphasizes that none of them are worth considering.

All the best,
gvdv.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Here's a thought don't bump 5 yr old threads when you have absolutely nothing useful to say. It's also absolutely none of your business what his gf thinks about what he's trying to figure out.

He didn't bump the thread. There was another post that bumped the thread.

The post that bumped it contained spam (use this junk software to do xyz!), thus it was removed by mods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.