Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcs1088

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I got leopard for christmas and i was going to install it into my iMac but come to find out i don't meet system requirements. I have a G4 flat panel iMac w/ 800 MHz and 256 RAM. Leopard needs 867MHz and 512 RAM. I was able to find the ram on OWC but when it comes to the processor i'm culeless. Does anyone have any idea where i can find a processor.

JNB

macrumors 604
Non-upgradable. Sorry. :( However, you likely can still get by with Leopard, many others have (hopefully others will chime in with direct experience). It's not an "absolute" barrier, but YMMV. RAM definitely is a more critical issue, I'd opt for at least 1GB.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
I got leopard for christmas and i was going to install it into my iMac but come to find out i don't meet system requirements. I have a G4 flat panel iMac w/ 800 MHz and 256 RAM. Leopard needs 867MHz and 512 RAM. I was able to find the ram on OWC but when it comes to the processor i'm culeless. Does anyone have any idea where i can find a processor.

you don't technically need to upgrade your processor. i've read about a hack that will allow you to change a setting in the leopard install that will check for speed of the computer. You can actually change 867 to something lower and leopard will install onto any mac.

i'll try to get on that link.

Rustman

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
England
This really wouldn't be worth installing unless you plan on installing more RAM. I've got an old G4 that has 1.25GB of RAM and even Tiger runs just adequately on it. As soon as I start web browsing on it, Flash sites drag it to a crawl.

Even if you managed to install Leopard you wouldn't be able to do anything worthwhile with it without wanting to slit your own wrists. :)

Cdmphoenix

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
I want a processor upgrade for my g4 too :( Daystar used to offer a 1.92 upgrade for the 1.0 and 1.25 ghz models and a 1.35 for the 700 and 800 mhz but they don't anymore which sucks. They might as well offer it some people would do it. :mad: Leopard runs well on my 1.0 ghz but thats within their requirements. Good luck. Also the VRAM on the g4's sucks; when I use the desktop changer the menu bar has this glitch and gets pixelated for a few seconds but oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.