Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I live on the campus at my University, there's a large surplus and salvage building next to my apartment which serves as an outlet for old campus computers. They've all been wiped, and have no OS or software of anykind installed. They have a ton of old Powermac's mostly G4's and some old iMacs too. I'm wondering what you all think it would be worth to pay to get an old Powermac G4 just to play around with.

Also none of them have monitors or keyboards or mice (save the iMacs obviously)! The clean looking ones are going for $80

What do you think?

SLC

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"powermac G4" covers everything from 350 mhz sawtooths to dual 1.42 Ghz mirror drive door models. One of the old, single processor G4s is worth very little at this point ($50? Depending on spec). A dual 1 Ghz or up could still bring a couple of hundred dollars. Not to mention all of the possible RAM/HD/video card configurations possible.

So basically, it totally depends.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I just picked up a couple of dual 450's with ~756 ram and 80 GB harddrives, with dvd burners in each.

They were 50 each. Bought two and sold one locally for 150. Kept the other one as a server for the house.

I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for a powermac g4, even the top of the line.

TenFour

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2006
Macs are very upgradable, and older ones are VERY cheap to upgrade. I still make great use of an up-spec'd G3. New is always better and less time-consuming, but consider the use, it might be well worth it.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I had a MDD G4 with 1.42 processors. I bought it about a year and half ago for $600, and ended up selling it for more on eBay, about five months ago.

My current G5 is a dual 1.8, and i bought it for $650 on eBay.

kem

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
San Francisco
It amazes me how much the MDD G4's are going for these days. But it does make me happy because I have two I'm about to put up for sale. lol

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It amazes me how much the MDD G4's are going for these days. But it does make me happy because I have two I'm about to put up for sale. lol

I still have a MDD Dual 1.25 GHz G4 (FW 800 model), 1.5 GB RAM, 1 x 200 GB HD, 1 x 250 GB HD, have put a Radeon 9800 Pro in it, an M-Audio revolution 5.1 PCI audio card, PCI TV card, and a 4 ports USB PCI card....

It's running Tiger, iLife '06.. and I absolutely adore it!

Okay.... I don't do hardly anything with it, but it really is one of the most beautiful Macs ever made IMHO. Such a beautiful design... :)
It's a treat to boot it once in a while... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.