Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fezzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Does anyone know if it would be possible to upgrade the 1st generation mac pros to use the 8800 GT graphics card? They don't seem to be for sale separately on the Apple store yet.

sys0p

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
I just called them and apparently, they are not sold as standalone. :(

But now - Leopard has to have the nVidia 8800 Drivers and I was wondering if one could use a 3rd part card - maybe flash it ... all to exciting ... finally a good card for the MacPros

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
why wouldn't they?

Because most people using a Mac Pro right now who want an upgrade want a graphics upgrade and BluRay, not 4 more cores, so the incentive to buy a new Mac Pro is small if you can just get a modern graphics card to pop in your old one.

the flashing possibilities are very interesting to think about with this card out there now, though...

If they sell a stand-alone 8800, they will have to release 10.4 support for it as well...which would be great because the new mac pro will probably not work on 10.4 and I'm not going to deal with 10.5 again until it is fixed.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
They are still selling the ATI card for 399$! If they continue to sell that card they need to drop that price.. or just drop it and add the new cards. I am not paying 399$ for that old card to upgrade the card in my Mac Pro. I am really hoping for options to buy the new cards or a cheaper ATI. 399 is ridiculous.. especially if it holds much longer at this point. But.. we will see.

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
why wouldn't they?

Because most people using a Mac Pro right now who want an upgrade want a graphics upgrade and BluRay, not 4 more cores, so the incentive to buy a new Mac Pro is small if you can just get a modern graphics card to pop in your old one.

So you think that Apple thinks by not selling a $3-400 graphics card as an upgrade to old mac pros, they will instead sell brand new ones for $3k to current mac pro owners just for the graphics card???????

djhspawn

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2006
why wouldn't they?

Agreed!

All I want for my rig is a card that will be DX10 compatible. Have they ever had a situation where they did not sell the cards directly?

Fezzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Will they work ok as the 1st gen mac pros don't have PCI express 2.0?

StructAural

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
The Netherlands
It's got to come available at some point, if only for nVidia's sales. And so many mac pro users have been complaining about the lack of decent up-to-date cards. When I bought my 8-core in the summer I naively thought I could stick any card in there as it had standard architecture. How wrong I was.

I'd buy it today if it were available, I've been waiting 8 months for this to happen. I wonder if I get my work to buy a new 8-core with a 8800GT I can swap the card out for my home 7300 :)

*waits*

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
PCIe v2 is backwards compatible (the difference is extra bandwidth, 32x lanes). 8800GT uses 16x lanes anyway so there's no benefit to PCIe 2.

Hope either Apple offers it at a reasonable price or someone flashes them soon...

edit: I double checked the specs. It is actually PCIe v2 compatible but doesn't require it. We're OK with older MPs.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
I'm going to be pretty upset if I can't just get one of these 8800 GT's and drop it in my current Mac Pro. I already have 8GB of FB-DIMMS that aren't compatible with the new Mac Pro's, theres no way I want to upgrade to a new Mac Pro just to get better graphics. Frankly I'm very satisfied with my current Mac Pro, if I can just get a better graphics card. I'm worried about the 8800 GT not being compatible for some reason. I don't care if the card costs $399, $399 is a hell of a lot cheaper than $2799 for the machine plus the costs of another 6GB of 800mhz FB-DIMMS.

sweedigel

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
france
(copy/paste of my post in another thread that nobody care :D)

I was wondering... if I take a MacPro with a Radeon HD2600, could I buy a less expensive "PC" 8800GT later, flash it and use it in the MacPro ?
Taking a 8800gt now add a delay of 3-5 weeks before shipping... can't wait

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
I'm going to be pretty upset if I can't just get one of these 8800 GT's and drop it in my current Mac Pro. I already have 8GB of FB-DIMMS that aren't compatible with the new Mac Pro's, theres no way I want to upgrade to a new Mac Pro just to get better graphics. Frankly I'm very satisfied with my current Mac Pro, if I can just get a better graphics card. I'm worried about the 8800 GT not being compatible for some reason. I don't care if the card costs $399, $399 is a hell of a lot cheaper than $2799 for the machine plus the costs of another 6GB of 800mhz FB-DIMMS.

We are in the same boat, I agree 110%....

pezza

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
If you know someone who is buying a new mac pro, get them to BTO with an additional graphics card, and buy it off them. Quick solution if any machines are being ordered through work etc etc.

sys0p

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
PCIe v2 is backwards compatible (the difference is extra bandwidth, 32x lanes). 8800GT uses 16x lanes anyway so there's no benefit to PCIe 2.

Hope either Apple offers it at a reasonable price or someone flashes them soon...

That's good news!

... could I buy a less expensive "PC" 8800GT later, flash it and use it in the MacPro ?

Yes, that's my hope too. We will find out soon which 8800GT (or even GTX) will be flashable, will work with our Macs ... can't wait! :)

TransientWolf

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
OK - too impatient and twitchy trigger finger. Got it through Employee Purchase Programme for £202 against cheapest third party card £175.

ATI 1900XT soon to be on eBay!!

Masher500

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Dana Point
just called the apple store

Im not really sure how smart this dude at the apple store was, but he said i could just buy an off the shelf 8800gt and put it in and it would work...... i guess we will have to see....:rolleyes:

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
yeah....

They need to get this up as an upgrade.. my piece of crap x1900 died 30 days out of warranty (of course) and I need this card. NOW. PLEASE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.