Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hi my fellow forumers (patent pending),

My wife and I are moving to Los Angeles next month from cold, snowy Toronto. We are really excited, and are even looking forward to the drive.

Our plan: we're going to look for a short term lease on an apartment until I start working, and then we're going to move closer to where I work to avoid commuting. My wife will be working from home (I am told that she will be very lucky to not have to commute to work).

We're looking to live (and work) in the West Los Angeles area.

So I'm looking for any advice anyone can give:
-on good restaurants (best sushi, chinese, vietnamese, thai, sandwiches, pizza, bagels, deli, italian, seafood, indian, etc),
-cool coffee shops (with internet access),
-cool places to hang out (we are in our early 30's) during the day and at night,
-a good gym,
-the best internet, cable, and phone service (not cell phone though, it's an iPhone FTW for me!),
-the best places to shop,
- or anything else you can think of.

I've been to LA before, and my wife lived there as a kid.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

itsallinurhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2007
Southern California
Hi my fellow forumers (patent pending),

My wife and I are moving to Los Angeles next month from cold, snowy Toronto. We are really excited, and are even looking forward to the drive.

Our plan: we're going to look for a short term lease on an apartment until I start working, and then we're going to move closer to where I work to avoid commuting. My wife will be working from home (I am told that she will be very lucky to not have to commute to work).

We're looking to live (and work) in the West Los Angeles area.

-on good restaurants (best sushi, chinese, vietnamese, thai, sandwiches, pizza, bagels, deli, italian, seafood, indian, etc),
-cool places to hang out (we are in our early 30's) during the day and at night,
-a good gym,
-the best internet, cable, and phone service (not cell phone though, it's an iPhone FTW for me!),
- or anything else you can think of.

I've been to LA before, and my wife lived there as a kid.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

If you can get Verizon FIOS. Very, very fast. Mom and pop coffee shops are always the best and most have, unlike starbucks, free wi-fi. Any idea on what area you want to live in?

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If you can get Verizon FIOS. Very, very fast. Mom and pop coffee shops are always the best and most have, unlike starbucks, free wi-fi. Any idea on what area you want to live in?

We're focusing on West LA and near one of the freeways. So West Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica, Palms(?), Westwood. Basically, in those general areas.
We'll be looking for and securing a lease in the next two weeks, and those are the areas we're concentrating on. I know that that isn't very specific, but if you have any pros/cons for any of them, I'll be glad to hear you out.
We'd love to live near the beach, but I hear it makes it difficult to commute if you have to travel east to the freeway. True?

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
When we moved to Santa Monica about 8 years ago, we used a service that found many of the open rentals there. We ended up in a one bedroom at 10th and wilshire for about 1250 a month. It was nice because it was just a short walk to the 3rd street promenade.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
When we moved to Santa Monica about 8 years ago, we used a service that found many of the open rentals there. We ended up in a one bedroom at 10th and wilshire for about 1250 a month. It was nice because it was just a short walk to the 3rd street promenade.

Wow, great location.

Do you remember the name of the service? I have been looking at westsiderentals.com and other rental sites, but if there is a service that will actively search for a place, I would look into that.

I have a friend who lives in LA, and she has offered to look at potential rentals for us, but it may be hard to coordinate. If I can hire a service to do it for me, that would be great.

Thanks.....

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
OK, well I go to USC, so I can give you some advice on Los Angeles in general, but not specifically on those locations you chose.

In downtown on I believe 8th street and Figueroa is a place called "The Pantry". It's been there forever, and it's a really great place to get something to eat and some dessert. It's open 24 hours a day I think, it's a landmark.

Also, China town has some excellent places to eat. There's a place called Yang Chow on 819 N. Broadway St. that is so amazing. I go there almost weekly.

For fitness, there are a bunch of expensive fitness clubs downtown, but I'd recommend finding one closer to where you live and work...

For entertainment I'd recommend going to USC Football games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum!!!! K, sorry, a little bit of enthusiasm there.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
We're focusing on West LA and near one of the freeways. So West Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica, Palms(?), Westwood. Basically, in those general areas.
Geographically all of those places are in the western part of LA county, but in LA terms none of those hoods would be considered in the same area (w/the exception of Westwood and West LA). Also, I wouldn't want to live near a freeway (relatively close is okay, but not near). There will be more traffic around freeways and typically taking surface streets will be faster. Personally, I like living near Olympic Blvd (the Olympic corridor as I call it) because Olympic is probably the fastest way to move east/west, w/o going too far south, if you destination is somewhere between the ocean and downtown Los Angeles. You also don't want to live next to popular shopping or eating areas because your hood will have more traffic and finding a place to park will be insane. Of course, if you move to a hood w/neighborhood parking or your residence has 2 parking spaces then it's a none issue.

And no offense to Badandy, but everything he suggested would be considered out in guam compared to where ya'll are looking to move.

Lethal

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
My wife and I just moved to the LA area in May, although we are NE of downtown. I haven't been too impressed with west LA honestly. Too crowded for my taste and we have lots of trees over here which makes it feel less harsh IMO.

I don't spend tons of time on the west side of LA, but the Getty Center (on the 405 just north of the 10) is probably one of the coolest places down here. It's an art museum, but it is an amazing place to visit and I never get tired of going there.

On everything you mentioned, there are probably multiple good places for all those things. It never ceases to amaze me how many people live here. Even in "small" Pasadena, there are 3 good gyms, 2 movie theaters, 30+ restaurants, 3 grocery stores, an outdoor mall, an Apple store (plus tons of other shopping) and 2 bookstores just within a 10 minute walk of our apartment. I'm sure the situation out there would be sort of similar. I recommend lots of exploring.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Geographically all of those places are in the western part of LA county, but in LA terms none of those hoods would be considered in the same area (w/the exception of Westwood and West LA). Also, I wouldn't want to live near a freeway (relatively close is okay, but not near). There will be more traffic around freeways and typically taking surface streets will be faster. Personally, I like living near Olympic Blvd (the Olympic corridor as I call it) because Olympic is probably the fastest way to move east/west, w/o going too far south, if you destination is somewhere between the ocean and downtown Los Angeles. You also don't want to live next to popular shopping or eating areas because your hood will have more traffic and finding a place to park will be insane. Of course, if you move to a hood w/neighborhood parking or your residence has 2 parking spaces then it's a none issue.

And no offense to Badandy, but everything he suggested would be considered out in guam compared to where ya'll are looking to move.

Lethal

I know that the places that I listed aren't considered the same area. We're just focusing on those areas because we have been told, and we have seen during visits, that they are nice areas to live in.

Let me clarify about living near a freeway- I don't want to live next to it, I meant that I would want easy access to one for easier travel. I have been told that, for example, if you live in the west part of Santa Monica, it is a hassle driving east to the freeway during rush hours. I'll keep in mind your advice about Olympic Blvd- thank you.

We are looking for a place that has parking, so we're not too worried about the area in terms of having to look for a spot. We tend to do a lot of walking, so hopefully the neighbourhood we choose will have good areas to walk to and around in.

I doubt we'd be heading to the downtown area of LA all too often (if ever?). We'll probably check out chinatown though- I'm going to miss King's Noodle House in Chinatown in Toronto.

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Keep it coming :)

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
You're moving to LA - and need some advice?

Well then, don't move to LA.

To each their own (obviously) but generally, I refuse to live anywhere that:

People don't know how to drive in the rain. (don't give me the oil buildup excuse)

Is governed by the Terminator.

The air is actually dangerous to breathe.

A nine-killing homicide via machine gun in an auto-parts store is channeled into "other news". (aka NOT the big story)

People commit and/or join in on a crime just to be on camera.

Your "nice home" also has 3/8" tempered steel bars on all of the windows - yet, it's supposedly in a "nice neighborhood". :eek:

Yeah, good luck with that. ;)

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

People don't know how to drive in the rain. (don't give me the oil buildup excuse)

A nine-killing homicide via machine gun in an auto-parts store is channeled into "other news". (aka NOT the big story)

Your "nice home" also has 3/8" tempered steel bars on all of the windows - yet, it's supposedly in a "nice neighborhood". :eek:

Thanks for the sarcastic 'good luck with that'.

So... is this advice based on you actually living there, or from watching too many bad movies?

/I can do sarcasm too....

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
All of that - sadly - is true. (even the auto-parts store bit) First hand experience.

I've been there too much to be honest. Maybe I just saw all the BAD places.

If you've got a great job offer down there or something - go for it - like I said - to each their own.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA

This was my stereotypical view of LA as well before I moved here. I've come to find out that everything bad that is said about LA is true to some extent, but not to the degree that people think. There are lots of perfectly safe places to be.

The smog problem, I've been told, is 100% better than it was in the 70's which makes me feel better, and it is continually getting better when most cities are getting worse.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. Like every city, there are its nicer and rougher neighborhoods.

The only problems I have with LA are the street system and LAX. It takes forever to get anywhere on the freeway, and LAX is the worst, most poorly designed airport I've set foot in.

My brother is in the music industry, and my sister in the television industry, and I'm probably going there for college, so I know I will have to spend a lot of quality time with it. I like San Francisco and San Diego better than LA, but LA isn't hell. I guess I'm just not in a rush to leave Denver.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Compared to Vegas, perhaps. Have you been to Florida? Or in this case Toronto in the Summer?

B

Yes, Toronto is one humid steam bath in the summer. You sweat just standing there.
I'm not too concerned about the humidity anyway. I'd rather some heat than some snow.

Big-TDI-Guy said:
All of that - sadly - is true. (even the auto-parts store bit)

I've been there too much to be honest. Maybe I just saw all the BAD places.

But of all places I've traveled - I've never been that unlucky elsewhere.

Sucks to be you, dude. Hopefully the next time you visit, you'll have a better experience. I've had nothing but great experiences in LA when I've visited. I'm not planning to live in South Central (no offense to anyone who lives there).

adrianblaine said:
This was my stereotypical view of LA as well before I moved here. I've come to find out that everything bad that is said about LA is true to some extent, but not to the degree that people think. There are lots of perfectly safe places to be.

The smog problem, I've been told, is 100% better than it was in the 70's which makes me feel better, and it is continually getting better when most cities are getting worse.

Yeah, the smog problem is not what it once was. In fact, when we've gone there, my wife has been able to breathe easier during that time. She has a mild case of asthma.
It is a stereotypical view of LA. Every big city has it's bad areas. Even Toronto does- there are parts of the city I won't go to. What's the difference? So there will be parts of LA I won't go to. Fine by me.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I doubt we'd be heading to the downtown area of LA all too often (if ever?). We'll probably check out chinatown though- I'm going to miss King's Noodle House in Chinatown in Toronto.
FWIW most of the authentic Chinese food in the LA area has left the historic Chinatown and moved to the East. (San Gabriel Valley, Monterey Park, Rosemead, ...). That's where the Chinese go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California_Chinatowns

Yes, Toronto is one humid steam bath in the summer. You sweat just standing there.
I'm not too concerned about the humidity anyway. I'd rather some heat than some snow.

I know, I basically melted there in August. :p

It's probably the best winter to move out in a while since it actually feels like "winter" this year. It's cold enough to need a jacket most days.

B

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
FWIW most of the authentic Chinese food in the LA area has left the historic Chinatown and moved to the East. (San Gabriel Valley, Monterey Park, Rosemead, ...). That's where the Chinese go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California_Chinatowns

It's probably the best winter to move out in a while since it actually feels like "winter" this year. It's cold enough to need a jacket most days.

B

It's worth a lot, thanks. I need my authentic Chinese food. No sweet and sour chicken balls for me.

I would hope that I'd be able to find a lot of really good Asian food on the west coast. I'm worried that I won't find anything to match or surpass the restaurants in Toronto that I go to.

For example, if you live in Toronto, and you like Thai food, and you've never been to Salad King.... you must go and order the green curry. It's the best in the city. I've scheduled at least 2 more stops there before we leave.

I don't want it to feel like winter when I get there= hopefully things turn around in a month from now :).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm worried that I won't find anything to match or surpass the restaurants in Toronto that I go to.

You will, but not before you try some sub par places.

Toronto (and surroundings) have excellent Asian food, the best I've had outside Hong Kong. When I was out there last August we ate a different regional Chinese cuisine every night, for 10 days, all excellent. That's a bit harder to do in LA. (At least when you're only "LA adjacent" as I am).

B

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006

-a good gym,

Have fun and enjoy the weather... :) West LA is a nice area to live in. I personally like Culver City area. Tree lined streets, nice houses, but they don't have many apartments there. Marina Del Rey area could be nice as well. Unfortunately, traffic in LA is probably gonna be worse than described and it will get worse as time passes.

There was a good and inexpensive Thai restaurant on Westwood Blvd across from Borders. I hope it is still there. That area is close to UCLA campus with lots of movie theatres. If you go south from there you'll see quite a few Middle Eastern restaurants, as well. There was also a place called Junior's, on the same street close to Westside Pavilion (a nice mall) if you feel like a more home cooking type of meal.

During the day, there is not much in LA other than hitting the beach. Try Manhattan Beach, especially if you like playing beach volleyball. That area has got some nice bars as well.

At night, Santa Monica 3rd St. Promenade is cool hang out. Usually teeming with people. I remember a Radisson close by with a bar on its roof that has nice views and live music on Fri and Sat nights. If you are into movies, try Westwood and Century City. I'd check out Old Town Pasadena as well. It's got a lot of bars, shops, restaurants and a lot of people roaming around. However, it is a bit of a drive.

Are you into museums? The area has a lot of good, but not so famous museums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't want it to feel like winter when I get there= hopefully things turn around in a month from now :).
Today's high was 60 degrees and you are currently living in Toronto. To people who live places w/four seasons there is no such thing as winter in Los Angeles. :p

I'm not a huge food person, but I don't think you'll have problem finding good food from any culture out here.

Getting back to location, I wouldn't live in the Valley (Sherman Oaks is in the Valley) unless you work there for a couple of reasons. First, getting into/out of the Valley is always a traffic nightmare. Second, it's typically at least 10 hotter in the Valley than it is in the rest of LA. If you live in the Valley you'll need A/C unless you like living in an oven, but in the rest of LA you really don't need A/C (except there might 5-10 days each summer where you wish you had it). Finally, and this is just personally preference, a lot of places in the Valley feels too much like the suburbs, IMO. Of course, if you wanna get into porn Van Nuys is the place to be. :D

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.