Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwwdotcomdotnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
From reading on the Apple Store website I am still a little confused about what AppleCare actually covers. If it doesn't cover a broken screen, cracked case after a year, or a similar issue, what is the point? It seems to cover hardware failure, however from reading up on the topic it is very unlikely that a HD would fail, and if it does I could easily just swap it out myself. Wouldn't it just make more sense to save the money and spend less on insurance for the machine?

Here is a link to the Terms and Conditions [PDF]

Can anyone speak from experience on this?

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
basically it extends the one year limited warranty that came with your computer to three years and telephone support from 90-days to 3 years. it does not cover accidental damage/loss/stolen (if you want something like this, use your AMEX card or Visa Signature to pay for it).

Limited warranty covers defect/malfunction caused by the computer itself.

wwwdotcomdotnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Right, I understand that part of the AppleCare, but I don't understand what I am actually buying. Sure it extends the limited warranty, but what is included with that? All it really seems to cover is fried HDs and logicboards, etc, but after a year those problems seems to already have presented themselves anyways.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
Right, I understand that part of the AppleCare, but I don't understand what I am actually buying. Sure it extends the limited warranty, but what is included with that? All it really seems to cover is fried HDs and logicboards, etc, but after a year those problems seems to already have presented themselves anyways.

Yeah, you're gambling for the breakage of things like:

* logic board
* Apple supplied RAM
* AirPort Extreme/Express
* melting MagSafe adapter
* ports stop working
* lose hinge
* etc.

It's highly possible that something will be broken within the 3 years of your MBP ownership. The cost of the logic board alone makes AppleCare a sensible choice if you're looking to keep your MBP for at least 3 years and avoid paying a hefty repair bill.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
If it doesn't cover a broken screen, cracked case after a year, or a similar issue, what is the point?

The assumption here is that these things happened due to accident or abuse. If enough people report a problem with the screen or the case then it is a defect in materials or workmanship, which is covered.

My personal experience is that Applecare, on occasion, has saved me well over the price of the machine. On other occasions, Apple has replaced things that were clearly my fault. And, of course, it's optional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.