Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Hitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am starting to consider to jailbreak my Ipod Touch, but I have a few concerns.

1. Is it safe?

2. Can it damage my IPod badly? (thus "brick" it)

Thanks for your help

The Hitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I just jail-broke my IPod and I love it.

One more question

Is "TextEdit" the only write program I can get?

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
Actually I've heard rumors that jailbreaking your iPod touch can cause it to become grumpy and reluctant at times. Sometimes it may try to strangle you with the earbuds. My one once got angry at me when I tried to warn others about this...... Uh oh... Nooooooo!

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
one thing, if you do jailbreak, NEVER, and i repeat NEVER remove more than 5 apps at one time, and if its summerboard, or customize, restore to defaults before you uninstall them

IF you don't follow that there is a chance of your IPT becoming bricked, as mine forgot how to sync to the computer.. and i had to pay apple to fix it, and it never booted up, and i had removed SSH....yeah.. it was fun...

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Actually I've heard rumors that jailbreaking your iPod touch can cause it to become grumpy and reluctant at times. Sometimes it may try to strangle you with the earbuds. My one once got angry at me when I tried to warn others about this...... Uh oh... Nooooooo!

well its kinda hard to say what can happen since people get different results. My browser was crap and crashes all the time but now its seems smooth.

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
well its kinda hard to say what can happen since people get different results. My browser was crap and crashes all the time but now its seems smooth.

May I point out now that pretty much all my posts contain a high level of sarcasm. My way of making sure you get your five a day...

I found my jailbroken touch had a messed up clock when it synced though, kept going back to sometime in July.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
May I point out now that pretty much all my posts contain a high level of sarcasm. My way of making sure you get your five a day...

I found my jailbroken touch had a messed up clock when it synced though, kept going back to sometime in July.
May I point out that I tend to not care? Cause I dont.

IpodTouch8GB3G

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
How to jailbreak and what can it do

Hi i have a few questions how can i jailbreak my ipodtouch 8GB 3G and is it safe and what does jailbreaking change from none jailbreaking ipod touch's i will hope for replys thank you all.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Hi i have a few questions how can i jailbreak my ipodtouch 8GB 3G and is it safe and what does jailbreaking change from none jailbreaking ipod touch's i will hope for replys thank you all.

Hi you can jailbreak it with blackra1n and it is safe and it lets you install apps that apple hasn't approved and you can do all kinds of cool stuff like change wallpaper and

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
May I point out that I tend to not care? Cause I dont.

You replied with full seriousness to a (mildly amusing) joke post. You look like a bit of an idiot. :p

He's not trying to be insulting, you just failed to realise that iPods don't really have the ability to strangle people with their headphones. Hey.. What? Noooooo! *gurgling*

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
How about we dont necropost, and keep on topic, thanks.

And, yes, let this thread die, this is extremely old, and no longer applies.

All you need is 30sec, and blackra1n. pretty much that easy. it is safe, if you dont do anything stupid, and jailbreaking allows you do do anything you want, from themes to changing text.
I would reccomend taking some time and reading, all your answers are in the hacks section

Megmacman

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am starting to consider to jailbreak my Ipod Touch, but I have a few concerns.

1. Is it safe?

Thanks for your help

If I jailbreak my iPod and I have to return it to apple. Will it ve covered

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan

How do you restore it to normal

Was it really worth resurrecting this ancient thread with two separate posts asking questions you could EASILY Google yourself? Seriously, the answer to each of these questions is the first or second hit for any relevant Google search you can think of.

mikespike91

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
hey I was just wondering if I only want my homescreen to change and then I reset it will my bakground 4 it go away

Sreno1

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Yes, very safe

I have jailbroken my ipod touch on 3.1.2 and 4.2.1 firmware and no problems whatsoever :) the springboard (the "desktop" with the icons) has gone into safety mode a few times but all you have to to do fix it is reboot or respring, no problem at all. I've got a tutorial on how to SAFELY jailbreak the 4.2.1 itouch here: http://www.ps3ipodjailbreaks.com/how-to-jailbreak-ipod-421.html Check out the rest of the site too while your at it :)

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
So from what i have read...

Jailbreaking is Safe

Anything wrong can be fixed with an Itouch reset

??

Can anyone confirm, i am new to jailbreaking so this is an entirely new subject for me.

Also what are the benefits of jailbreaking?

Aero26

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
Never faced a single problem in the jailbreaking process. The risk doesn't outweight the reward if you're a gambler.

arianaandrea24

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011

no. once you jailbreak it, Apple won't cover it. They might even try to confiscate your iDevice as one of the idiot apple genius tried to do but the annoyed guy called the cop.

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010

1. Is it safe?

Thanks for your help

1.Yes
2.No, Emmmm, maybe not, some times it will happen.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.