Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeoSurge

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Wait a bit

They are already working on a fix and are most of the way there. Just give it few more days and they should have it.

Cheers

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
this has always puzzled me!? im assuming people use insomniax to download overnight. why not just set your computer to sleep "never" in the energy saver prefs and turn down the screen brightness?

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
this has always puzzled me!? im assuming people use insomniax to download overnight. why not just set your computer to sleep "never" in the energy saver prefs and turn down the screen brightness?

You're right.... but it's a bit of a pain to keep changing the settings.

I use insomniax for watching movies on my TV mostly though.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
well you could always plug in the power along with the dvi adapter and a audio cable then close then lid and then plug in a usb mouse to wake it up. but whatever suits your fancy. ive always hated apps that interfere with the macbook's default sleep settings.

adjei7

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007

I don't just use it for downloading over night (in fact I never do). I just use it in general. I like to close my Macbook and know that it's not gonna go anywhere (like to sleep). If i'm using airport and I wanna close the mac (which is generally what I do if i'm moving around), it cuts off (only when I use a vpn mind, which I like to use at school for secure connection). How annoying is that, to have to open up cisco connect multiple times?

Also, I like to shut down, and close the lid, knowing that it will turn itself off nicely, without it wanting to go to sleep half way through. You can't do that without InsomiaX or other such programmes.

Not being able to close the lid without it sleeping was one feature that really got on my nerves when I first switched to Mac. It was like the choice was taken away from me. It's standard in PC's and don't know why it shouldn't be in Macs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac, but I get picky over some of the little things like this.

K

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Not being able to close the lid without it sleeping was one feature that really got on my nerves when I first switched to Mac. It was like the choice was taken away from me. It's standard in PC's and don't know why it shouldn't be in Macs.

Agreed. What's wrong with a program that alters the default sleep settings? One of the reasons I love my mac is because you can "mess with" everything... Apple has their way that they think it should be used, but leaves it open for developers to change it.

I also really don't like that you can't set it to not fall asleep when you close the lid... it's natural to close the lid when leaving for a second... IE.) to go to the bathroom... and there's no real reason to put it to sleep.

I know I could plug in a USB mouse... but I mean, I just want to hook up my MacBook to the TV and watch a movie... I didn't have a mouse with the MacBook when I first got it so my only choice was to grab one from my girlfriends PC... which was a hassle because she couldn't use her PC and I had to unplug and plug it in every time I wanted to use it... I'm not going to buy a mouse so that I can close the lid and watch movies... that just doesn't make sense. I do have BT mouse now, but I don't use it often and it's just less of a hassle to open up an application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.