Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SubaruNation555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
This may sound like a silly and trivial problem but I have a screensaver (.saver file) that is PowerPC and will not work on my Intel-based Mac. Is there anything I should try before I move on? Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 1.JPEG
    Picture 1.JPEG
    27.6 KB · Views: 97

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'd noticed the same thing, and I'm fairly certain that you'd need to run the screensaver subsystem in Rosetta to get this to work. Which is probably possible, but there's no easy way to do it.

I just gave up on the old ones, personally.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Screen savers (.saver bundles) are not executable which is why there is no "Run in Rosetta" option. They are loadable bundles (basically plugins) which get loaded into the screen saver engine. To get one PPC screen saver to run you'd have to run the entire screen saver engine in Rosetta including any other screen savers until you change it back.

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I think it's a private framework or something similar that runs under a fairly low level (and important) process. If you preview a screen saver in System Preferences no new executable gets launched and all the CPU used by the saver gets assigned to System Preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.