Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
When I see my iPod management screen in iTunes, the "enable disk use" box is checked, but the check box is grayed out so that I can't uncheck it. How do I turn off disk mode?

So I have to trash every file and folder on it through the finder first? In the finder it shows no files on the iPod except for the ones it created automatically. It shows the empty folders it automatically created, the calendar.ics files that it auto created when I once turned on the Sync Calendars option in iTunes (which is now turned off), and the instructions file it auto created in the Notes folder. Should I select all and trash them in order to turn disk mode off?

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I found the solution, but encountered a huge interface bug in the process that prevents me from being able to do it.

iTunes help document says:

iTunes help said:
When the "Manually manage songs and playlists" option is enabled, the iPod is in "manual" mode. In this mode, "Enable disk use" is always enabled or turned on. This is a feature of manual mode.

To disable the "Enable disk use" option, select either "Automatically update all songs and playlists" or "Automatically update selected playlists only." Once you have selected either of these two options you will be able to disable the "Enable disk use" option.

That's fine, except when I click to uncheck "manually manage songs and playlists" it says "Are you sure? This will replace all content on your iPod with stuff from your iTunes library," which is definitely not what I want to do. So I go to my iPod's Music subtab where there is an option to choose whether iTunes will automatically manage (i.e. replace) all the iPod's songs, or just the playlists. But it's currently set to sync "All songs" instead of just "selected playlists," but it won't let me change that setting until I turn on the "sync music" checkbox, which warns me that proceeding will replace all the songs on my iPod! Arg!

Man, iTunes sucks!

Someone please tell me there's a simple way around this!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 372
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 380

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
This sounds just like a bug that will have to be fixed, hopefully this will be addressed in the next update which should be out by the 15th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.