Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisgohcs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
hi

how do you guys set your wallpaper?
take for example i have a jpeg file on my desktop which i want it to be my wallpaper. but when i right click it,it doesnt give me any option to set it as my wallpaper.
i will always have to add the photo to iphoto then set it as wallpaper thru system preferences.

any help will be appreciated!=)

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
1. Go to Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop

2. Click the + sign (located bottom left)

3. Select the particular folder in which your wallpaper is located (i.e. desktop). No need to use iPhoto

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
go to the system preferences section. look for the desktop icon. you'll then be able to choose what picture you want.

it's pretty easy.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
It has always bugged me to go to System Preferences just to change the wallpaper, so I created a simple Automator Actionto do it for me. Save As Plug-in (for Finder) then right-click the image, go to automator actions, and there is your "Set as Wallpaper" command.

Attachments

• Automator.png
    Automator.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 1,459

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Or you can just drag & drop the file into the little wallpaper preview in the System Preferences pane...

Ravloo

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Automator Steps

Mernak you're the man. This is the first time I used Automator and it works lovely.

For the newbs, here are the steps:
1) Open up Automator - This is located in your applications folder. The right window in Automator should be blank and say "Drag or add actions here to build your workflow." In the leftmost window labeled Library, Applications should be selected.
2) Search for "Get Selected Finder Items." It should appear in the middle window labeled Action. Double click "Get Selected Finder Items," and it will appear in the right window.
3) Search for "Set the Desktop Picture." Right click it and it will appear in the right window under "Get Selected Finder Items."
4) Go to File:Save As Plug-in. Choose a name like "The Amazing Wallpaper Automator." Select Plug-in for "Finder" in the drop down menu and Save.
5) When you are in Finder, if you right click your picture and scroll to Automator, you will see your automation. Click this and enjoy the view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.