Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Given all the rumors, I'll add my own unoriginal speculation.

Apple TV will no longer be just a hardware device, it will become the latest entry into the world of IPTV. Hook it up to your network wirelessly ("something in the air") and have both TV programming and iTunes content to choose from. I think it could be a good alternative to Cable/Dish assuming it will do HD and is priced reasonably.

Thoughts?

I heard all the craze at CES was IPTV and OLED and given Apple's track record of entering early to market, could this be what's in the air?

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
At least here in the US, I believe IPTV is mostly a closed system. AT&T has their U-verse IPTV system and I believe the other telcos are working on similar systems to combat cable and satellite providers.

Also, I am not sure how open IPTV systems are in terms of just connecting a device (as CableCard allows with cable systems). One might very well be required to use the telco's box to receive and decrypt IPTV which means it could not be added to the :apple:tv.

Now, there is the "rival" Internet Television initiative, but bandwidth could very well be an issue there since you're sharing the pipe with all other internet traffic as opposed to the dedicated transmission paths used in IPTV.

ccortez

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
Before I started hacking around the AppleTV using awkward, nito, etc. I took at face value everybody's claims that Apple restricted the ATV's network access to iTunes in order to drive everybody to iTunes for content purchasing.

That may have been part of their thinking... but in general, I now believe they limited the AppleTV's functionality in order to guarantee the quality of the user experience. Once you tell people they can "simply" mount a network drive (choose your poison: AFP, SMB, NFS/Windows?!) and play the content on it (choose more poison: MP3, FLAC, AIFF, MPEG1/2/3/4, DIVX, MKV)... well, that's going to be a really hard user doc to write and a harder support call to solve. Given what I've been through to enable the "basic" (ha) functionality I require, I can't imagine it will be easier for them to make AppleTV more useful on the network w/o giving out free Linux classes with every purchase... :p

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Your typical CableModem connection ain't fast enough to handle IPTV let alone a DSL connection.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I now believe they limited the AppleTV's functionality in order to guarantee the quality of the user experience.

Bingo.

Especially the experience for the "non-technical user". People who like the idea of iTunes, but not the idea of connecting a Windows PC or Macintosh to their television.

This is what I feel the folks who are calling for an :apple:tv with a DVR and Blu-Ray and full video/audio codec support are missing. They want a cheaper Mac Mini HPTC with all the dongles contained inside. They already know OS X so installing and configuring TV scheduling and DVR applications and maintaining the whole environment is child's play to them. If it blows up, they know how to reboot OS X and then re-launch all the apps. They're happy to hack the software to provide more functionality. Applying fixes and patches is something they can do blindfolded.

Those people are very different from the target market of the :apple:tv. One of the reasons the :apple:tv has been so slow to update is because Apple doesn't want to "change things" and "confuse" those people.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Interesting, as IPTV around here is AT&T, and they are the iPhone providers...

Didn't think of this angle. Some sort of partnership???

Your typical CableModem connection ain't fast enough to handle IPTV let alone a DSL connection.

I think that may rule out HD, at least til fiber in the home becomes common. But SD seems possible with the scalabilty of H.264.

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Those people are very different from the target market of the :apple:tv. One of the reasons the :apple:tv has been so slow to update is because Apple doesn't want to "change things" and "confuse" those people.

I'm beginning to think that's an excuse. I'd love to build a simple product with no real feature depth to speak of and have everyone make excuses for its lack of functionality so I don't have to.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'm beginning to think that's an excuse. I'd love to build a simple product with no real feature depth to speak of and have everyone make excuses for its lack of functionality so I don't have to.

If Apple did not offer the Mac Mini, I'd agree with you.

But a Mac Mini will do anything an :apple:tv will (and far more). It just won't be as simple or elegant.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yes, but we would also like to be able to get the shows we watch via OTA/cable/sat in HD from the iTunes Store in HD. :)

And it looks like Steve may just have delivered it with the AppleTV Take 2...

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well we did indeed get a new :apple:tv...

HD content and Dolby Digital 5.1.
Rent directly from the :apple:tv - no Mac required. HD for $4.99 with 100 rentals.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
As cool as this is, Netflix is still a better deal. Why rent by the unit? Apple needs to have a monthly subscription. I suppose the movie studios dictated that, though. To me it's no different than cable on-demand which I don't use either (because of price).

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I am on limited internet here at work. is it a new box or is it a software update for the old box? *crossing fingers for software update*

UPDATE - It is a free software update. :D

And the price dropped $70 on the base unit - $229.

Available within two weeks.

sebf

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
UK
There better be a firmware upgrade for existing Apple TV owners or my Apple TV that I got for Christmas will be smashed with a large axe!

Edit:
10:00 am The new Apple TV is a free software update.

Pheeew! :D

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
As cool as this is, Netflix is still a better deal. Why rent by the unit? Apple needs to have a monthly subscription. I suppose the movie studios dictated that, though. To me it's no different than cable on-demand which I don't use either (because of price).

it depends on your usage. This is dating myself a little bit, but I remember when AOl started offering unlimited access for a flat fee. But you could still do the hourly rate if you wanted. Well by that time i was down to using AOL only for e-mail. So dialing in, getting e-mail only for the month worked out to about maybe an hour. So I only payed $4 or whatever it was instead of 20. If I only rent 1 or 2 movies a month, single payment is better than a subscription for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.