Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
question.

will one be able to notice the difference between the 1.6 ghz and 1.8 ghz core 2 duo in the macbook air?

is it worth it to spend $300 more for it?

will it make a difference considering the HD only goes 4200 RPM?

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
My guess is it won't make much of a difference. Major bottleneck with hard disk speed. 5-10% speed increase in applications when boosting by 200Mhz, as seen in barefeats tests. If you consider that worth $300, than maybe you would want it.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
no. you won't see much difference. consider most macs are running at 1.5GHz most of the time even with 2.6GHZ CPU. I would consider it for extra $50, not extra $300.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
i may go for the 1.8 ghz.

for resale reasons.

mmm would going from a 2.0 CD to a 1.8 C2D be considered an upgrade?

will i see a difference afterall?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
will one be able to notice the difference between the 1.6 ghz and 1.8 ghz core 2 duo in the macbook air?
For those who do tasks like e-mail, web browsing, word processing, simple spreadsheets, listening to music or watching a movie, there will probably be no difference.

My guess is that the base MBA is a good offering for most folks.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
I seriously doubt it, except in benchmarks.
Personally, I would apply that $300 toward the SSD, which will go a long way toward improving the overall speed of this notebook.

no. you won't see much difference. consider most macs are running at 1.5GHz most of the time even with 2.6GHZ CPU. I would consider it for extra $50, not extra $300.

Um, when and why would a 2.6ghz CPU run at 1.5ghz?

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I seriously doubt it, except in benchmarks.
Personally, I would apply that $300 toward the SSD, which will go a long way toward improving the overall speed of this notebook.

i thought about that but i need more memory anyways.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Um, when and why would a 2.6ghz CPU run at 1.5ghz?

there is a app called "core duo tem", you can check how fast your cpu is running

Most Modern OSes (win/OSX/Lin) adopt so called step-speeding technology for laptop to reduce power consumption and prolong the battery life.

oh yes, I should have mentioned that this mostly applies to laptops, especially when on battery power. "Most mac and most of the time" might be a little bit overstated.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
$300 is a bit of a steep price for a modest upgrade in processing power. I would doubt that the difference in performance would be very noticeable- if even noticeable at all. Now if the 1.8GHz C2D had extra L2 cache or a faster fsb then the difference would probably be noticeable. :)

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
do you think i'll see a speed difference between a 2.0 Ghz CD (in my MBP) and a 1.8 Ghz C2D?

which one will be faster?

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
The MBP is faster, obviously.

oooh..mmm..really? even though the MBP is a CD and the MBA is a C2D?
(forget the difference in hard drive speeed, i'm talking just plain processor speed)

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
I placed an order for the 1.8 ghz and I think I'm going to be cancel and order the 1.6 ghz. I was thinking that it would help in that I might occasionally use Aperture, but for $300 more, I don't think it's really worth it. Besides, I'll be doing the vast majority of photo work on my 2.8 ghz iMac with 4 GB RAM!

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
I placed an order for the 1.8 ghz and I think I'm going to be cancel and order the 1.6 ghz. I was thinking that it would help in that I might occasionally use Aperture, but for $300 more, I don't think it's really worth it. Besides, I'll be doing the vast majority of photo work on my 2.8 ghz iMac with 4 GB RAM!

smart decision. If you ALREADY have a real fast mac at home... then this macbook air is somethin you should be buying as a "faster" mac. Yuo should be buying it, because it's unbelievably portable, and easy to carry with you everywhere you go.

iPhone did a good job letting you take your files with you everywhere, but now Macbook air is gonna do an EVEN better job, cause it's running full OS X, and has a full keyboard.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
smart decision. If you ALREADY have a real fast mac at home... then this macbook air is somethin you should be buying as a "faster" mac. Yuo should be buying it, because it's unbelievably portable, and easy to carry with you everywhere you go.

iPhone did a good job letting you take your files with you everywhere, but now Macbook air is gonna do an EVEN better job, cause it's running full OS X, and has a full keyboard.

Exactly...I also have a 2.16 ghz MacBook Pro that I bought a year ago...at the time, it was my only computer. I caved when the new iMac's came out and got the whole enchilada: 24" screen, 2.8 ghz, 4GB RAM...of course, now the MBP doesn't get used all that much (at least in comparison as I do a lot of photo editing). I mainly use my MBP when I travel or just around the house for general surfing, email, and occasionally I might go in and tweak a photo here and there.
I realize that the MBP is a more powerful machine w/ more features, yadda, yadda...than the MBA, but I really would like a smaller, lighter form factor so, I'm Ebaying my MBP to purchase the MBA. To me, and for my purposes, it's worth it. Now if my laptop was going to be my main machine, I'd definitely keep the MBP-that's just not the case anymore, though.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
do you think i'll see a speed difference between a 2.0 Ghz CD (in my MBP) and a 1.8 Ghz C2D?

which one will be faster?

The C2D should be faster since it has an 800 MHz FSB and a larger cache i think. And technology has improved and chips are running cooler which should also boost performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.