Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Hey everyone..further to another thread I started recently where I debated whether it was worth it to spend $300 or so upgrading my 12' Powerbook, I'm now starting to think about possible alternative machines.

I really love the portability of this machine, and it's been very durable and reliable. The problem I have is that I find my eyes getting very tired using it. My sight has always been good, but lately I've been working full-time as a journalist, which means full days in front of the screen.

Now, maybe the sore eyes are the result of bad use - not taking enough screen breaks etc - though I do make a genuine effort to rest my eyes for a few minutes every hour. However, I find myself squinting at the screen quite a bit - the text of some websites appears quite small on this machine too.

My budget is quite low. I can't afford a new machine, the only options I can consider are an 15' Powerbook or an older secondhand or refurb MacBook. With this in mind, I have a few questions...

1) How portable is the 15' Powerbook? Obviously it won't be anything like the 12', but I do move around quite a bit and need I machine that I can use on the go. Ideally I want something I can fit in a backpack and take when traveling.

2) Is there any significant difference in screen quality between the MacBook and 12' Powerbook? Does the one inch increase make much difference? I've used the MacBook a few times and it seems a lot brighter, but does this increase comfort?

3) Does anyone who uses either machine for work/intensively have any comments as to how it affects their eyes?

4) Has anyone switched between any of these machines, and if so, do you have any comments on any of the above?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Ultimately, what I need is a laptop that can act my main computer, with a good quality screen that will tire my eyes as little as possible, but that is still portable enough to take traveling or camping.

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
1. You should have no problem fitting a 15" PowerBook into a backpack (unless you are 7, and have a tiny little spiderman/hello kitty backpack)

2. Only used a MacBook a couple of times and 12" PB a couple of times. Take you PB to the Apple Store to compare (or set it next to a friends MB)

3. I use my 15" MBP for hours every day, recording, picture editing and just general web surfing/email/chatting use, and never seem to have a problem with eye strain

4. I Cannot say I have switched, but when looking for my first Mac I was originally planning to get the 12" PB, but decided I realllly like the extra's that came on the 15" (like backlit keyboard, faster processor, etc.)

I Have been using a PowerBook/MacBook Pro as my main computer for nearly 4 years and have never looked back.

Hope that helped.

P.S. I will gladly take that 12" PowerBook off your hands for you :)

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
I was always very disappointed with the quality of the 12" screen compared to the other laptops. It was the deciding factor for me going 15" even though I wanted portability. The MacBook screen is a huge improvement in my opinion...

Regards,

C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.