Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankiejoe577

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Is there any way to rearange Icons?

Are there any programs in the installer that let you re-arange Icons or more icons.

Are there any other srouces that have something like i discribed?

does 1.1.3 have one?

Im speaking about what the new iphone thing has that makes every thing wiggle and move around.

please reply if you know any thing.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
iPod Touch/iPhone 1.1.3 January Upgrade...

Does just that, the January Upgrade available for iPod Touch enables that feature. I believe Customize does something like that, but requires a Jailbroken iPod and this is not safe with 1.1.3 or really with 1.1.2. If you are game enough to jailbreak, then do so, but if not, purchase the update for the iPod Touch and get the 5 new apps plus the Home Screen Customization (Moving Icons, Multiple Screens, Web Clip....etc).

Cheers!!!:D

Darkjenso

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
while there is no downloadable ipod wiggle thingie, you can arrage the order of the home screen and add or take items from the dock (you can add more than 4) by editing the .plist file

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
but requires a Jailbroken iPod and this is not safe with 1.1.3 or really with 1.1.2.

"not safe with 1.1.3?" I think you mean "not possible with 1.1.3 (at least not yet.)"

And what's "not safe" with updating a jailbroken 1.1.1 over to 1.1.2? Nothing. Just need to install OktoPrep first. Many have done it and it works fine! There's nothing inherently "unsafe" about it.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Just to give you more confidence, my jailbroken 1.1.2 is as solid as a factory issued touch. There is absolutely nothing not safe about it. The only danger is you wont wanna put it down.

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Just to give you more confidence, my jailbroken 1.1.2 is as solid as a factory issued touch. There is absolutely nothing not safe about it. The only danger is you wont wanna put it down.

Haha, especially with these cold winter days and the metal back, you may literally not be able to put it down

goldypoker

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Yep, if it's jailbroken then use Customize...

I have a jailbroken 1.1.1, with springboard. Is it OK for me to install and use Customize as well??

Sorry for the stupid question, but I thought I had read somewhere that the two apps werent compatable...is this true, or can I use both without issues?

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
I have a jailbroken 1.1.1, with springboard. Is it OK for me to install and use Customize as well??

Sorry for the stupid question, but I thought I had read somewhere that the two apps werent compatable...is this true, or can I use both without issues?

should work just fine.

why not move up to 1.1.2?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

I think he means it's not safe to jailbreak 1.1.3.

To the original poster: just upgrade to 1.1.3 and pay the $20 to get the Apps... it's worth it... seriously.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Sorry!

Yep, if it's jailbroken then use Customize or if not then update to 1.1.3

Don't listen to him, it works fine with 1.1.2.

The only reason I wrote that it isn't safe with 1.1.3 or 1.1.2 is because it requires a HACK which CAN at sometimes go horribly wrong, such as bricking your iPod. People say, if its bricked then put it in recovery mode and restore it in iTunes, well I CAN tell you that COMPLETELY bricking an iPod DOES happen where you cannot restore it at ALL. This did not happen to my iPod as I have not jailbroken it (with much difficulty resisting) and where do you get off telling people not to listen to me or ANYONE for that matter???

I am Half-Way through developing my 1.1.3 Jailbreak for the iPod Touch. The code is done i'm just prettifying the interface. Maybe I should scrap development so people who have jailbroken or updated to 1.1.3 can't add third party applications.

Cheers :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

xXriderXx7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Lake Elsinore, California
The only reason I wrote that it isn't safe with 1.1.3 or 1.1.2 is because it requires a HACK which CAN at sometimes go horribly wrong, such as bricking your iPod. People say, if its bricked then put it in recovery mode and restore it in iTunes, well I CAN tell you that COMPLETELY bricking an iPod DOES happen where you cannot restore it at ALL. This did not happen to my iPod as I have not jailbroken it (with much difficulty resisting) and where do you get off telling people not to listen to me or ANYONE for that matter???

I am Half-Way through developing my 1.1.3 Jailbreak for the iPod Touch. The code is done i'm just prettifying the interface. Maybe I should scrap development so people who have jailbroken or updated to 1.1.3 can't add third party applications.

You've seen a completely bricked, non-functioning, non-restorable touch?

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England

Err, you can't brick an iPT. iPhones, yes. But with an iPod, no.
And before you shout 'I DID BRICK IT' at me, pics or it never happened

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

First off: Nobody has ever bricked an iPod touch for good. People have screwed them up and have had to restore 15-20 times before it restored but, never has anyone reported bricking an iPod touch completely with no way to recover. Also, if you've never jailbroken your iPod touch then why suddenly are you an expert hacker that is creating a jailbreak for 1.1.3 when the current hackers don't even have one yet.... I don't believe you on both accounts.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
iPod Related Typo...

Oops, Sorry. I was typing that post from my iPod. I meant to say I am prettifying the interface for the 1.1.2 Jailbreak (as in without Downgrading first).

As I said, the Completely Bricked iPod didn't happen to me, my mate showed me his and all it showed was a lit screen with nothing showing, just a black sc reen. It only went away when the battery went out and the whole unit turned off and was unable to be turned on until it had some charge, as there was no way to tell whether it was charged or not. He said he had jailbroken it and this was the result. He had restored it with all sorts of methods, I watched him do it. Nothing. He has now gotten a replacement touch and it is perfect and he has sworn that he will never jailbreak again.

P.S, My mate tests my jailbreaking Betas, so far, its good.

Cheers

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Oops, Sorry. I was typing that post from my iPod. I meant to say I am prettifying the interface for the 1.1.2 Jailbreak (as in without Downgrading first).

As I said, the Completely Bricked iPod didn't happen to me, my mate showed me his and all it showed was a lit screen with nothing showing, just a black sc reen. It only went away when the battery went out and the whole unit turned off and was unable to be turned on until it had some charge, as there was no way to tell whether it was charged or not. He said he had jailbroken it and this was the result. He had restored it with all sorts of methods, I watched him do it. Nothing. He has now gotten a replacement touch and it is perfect and he has sworn that he will never jailbreak again.

Cheers

You're still lying... you don't have proof that his iPod was truly bricked... just because it wouldn't restore doesn't mean it's bricked. I've seen people try restoring 15-20 times before it actually took.

jvance

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008

Cheers

I have used macrumors for around a year now... but I have never had a reason to become a member... until I read this post. I am also the proud owner of a 1.1.1 jailbroken 16gig iPod Touch. When I first tried jailbreaking my Touch in October I experienced this very problem... and whenever I connected it to my computer to try to restore, it was not recognized. I went to bed that night thinking that my iPod Touch had played its final tune. But I refused to give up... the next day I spent nearly an hour trying different button combinations until the "Connect iPod touch to iTunes" image appeared on my screen... I was ecstatic to say the least. I did as the message instructed, and was able to restore my iPod back to normal. After spending a week working up the courage to try again, I successfully jailbroke my iPod. I now have three home screens that include apps such as Mail, Weather, Maps, TTR, Labyrinth, and iPhysics. And I am currently trying to convince my friends/iPod Touch owners to do the same.

swearbymac07

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Not Lying...

Sorry, I am not lying. As I said in my reply, my friend tried every known way of restoring the touch, he even did it on windows. I just contacted the friend in question and he told me exactly what the Staff Member at Apple told him. Hardware-Error. If I remember rightly, when Jailbreaks began to arrive, there were posts around certain websites that Hardware Errors could occur, but they may not, and are very rare. It happened to my friend, resulting from a Jailbreak. And yes he was running 1.1.1 jailbroke it, installed Oktoprep and updated following TouchDev's instructions. Thats when the error happened. This did happen. And 'Slip' as for the pics, the Touch is gone, back to Apple so I can't go to them and say 'Hey, Um, can you get me the touch that was jailbroken with a hardware error, that was returned in late 2007?' It wouldn't happen. So what I have told you is the truth. I am sick of justifying myself with every post of 'You're Lying'. If you don't choose to believe it, don't. I don't care.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Sorry, I am not lying. As I said in my reply, my friend tried every known way of restoring the touch, he even did it on windows. I just contacted the friend in question and he told me exactly what the Staff Member at Apple told him. Hardware-Error. If I remember rightly, when Jailbreaks began to arrive, there were posts around certain websites that Hardware Errors could occur, but they may not, and are very rare. It happened to my friend, resulting from a Jailbreak. And yes he was running 1.1.1 jailbroke it, installed Oktoprep and updated following TouchDev's instructions. Thats when the error happened. This did happen. And 'Slip' as for the pics, the Touch is gone, back to Apple so I can't go to them and say 'Hey, Um, can you get me the touch that was jailbroken with a hardware error, that was returned in late 2007?' It wouldn't happen. So what I have told you is the truth. I am sick of justifying myself with every post of 'You're Lying'. If you don't choose to believe it, don't. I don't care.

The jailbreaking methods do not touch the hardware. You can't break hardware with software.... sorry. It's just software but, since it's on a mobile device, they have to call it Firmware. I think the hardware error was a coincidence that was not caused by the jailbreak and I really still don't believe the iPod touch was truly bricked... he just didn't try hard enough to restore it. Also, jailbreaking 1.1.1 with jailbreakme.com was automated and then jailbreaking 1.1.2 was automated as well... how do you screw that up? I jailbroke my iPod touch on the first day the touch jailbreak was written for the public and it had 40 manual steps and I was able to do it, so what's so hard about automation?

Where's your 1.1.3 jailbreak?

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Where's your 1.1.3 jailbreak?

He already posted about (post #16) that it was a simple typo. Slow down and don't be so quick on the draw. You might not agree with him -- but the aggression being shown to another poster here, just trying to participate, is a bit unseemly. Sheesh.

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
He already posted about (post #16) that it was a simple typo. Slow down and don't be so quick on the draw. You might not agree with him -- but the aggression being shown to another poster here, just trying to participate, is a bit unseemly. Sheesh.

Bit fair seeing as he was saying how you can brick your iPod, which you can't...
For someone navigating here by Google and seeing that then it would be against all they have heard so far and maybe put them off the jailbreak which would seem a waste as there is no way to brick it.

pusman83

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Restore "Customize" to home screen

Customize gives you the option of taking icons off the home screen (making them invisible). Only I took Customize off there... How do I bring it back?

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Customize gives you the option of taking icons off the home screen (making them invisible). Only I took Customize off there... How do I bring it back?

You could either edit the N45AP.plist and move the Customize string from Special to iconList but that may be a little too advanced. My best advice would be to uninstall and reinstall via Installer. I've never done it so I don't know ;)
Report back (Y)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.