Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeydeluxed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I can't seem to sync any audiobooks in my new iTouch. Any books that's
I've loaded into iTunes will only go into my Music folder. Any ideas?
thanks in advance!
Joeydeluxed

Roxerroneous

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
I'm not sure if you're having problems syncing or just getting your audiobooks appear in the audiobook section of itunes.

If you're ripping your own audiobooks from CD, they need to have the file extension of m4b and they will be added into that playlist. The m4b file is a file with bookmarking capability so you can listen to the book, leave the playlist, listen to something else, and come back to the audiobook and pick up where you left off.

Itunes doesn't directly do this but there are options out there for a free conversion to m4b - if you need help finding them, let me know.

Hope this helps.

Joeydeluxed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Roxerroneous, Thanks for your reply. Apparently you know what your talking about and I would appreciate your your finding free conversion software.
thanks in advance! regards,
Joe

Roxerroneous

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
Joe, I'm on a windows based machine and am using the software from free ipod software.com (here's the link as the URL is censored).

To use it, you need to rip the audiobook into mp3 format and then add the mp3s to this program. It'll combine the files into one large m4b file (if that's what you want - you can keep them as individual files).

Also, from what I've read, you can rip the book as m4a files and simply rename the extension to m4b. I'm guessing that the m4b and m4a are identical, just that the m4b signals to itunes/ipod that the file is able to be bookmarked.

Hope this helps and if you run into any problems, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

-Brad

Joeydeluxed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
thanks!

Brad, thanks for the information. I have downloaded that site and
will give it a try!

Again, thanks for your help!

Joe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.