Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I have an HP all in one printer for documents and an Epson photo printer for pics. I can print to the HP with no problems whatsoever, but when I try to print to the Epson, I get the error below.

Computer I am trying to print from: Macbook on Leo, running off wireless through router.

Computer I am trying to print to where printer is connected: Compaq desktop on XP Pro on lan connection and hosting the router.

I have printer sharing enabled on the new printer, the settings appear to be identical, but I guess not.

Any ideas?

printerror.jpg

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Here's the console error on the log report.

I've highlighted the error in bold.

Any clues?

[15/Jan/2008:23:44:41 -0500] [Job 11] Started filter /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/Filter/pdftopdf.app/Contents/MacOS/pdftopdf (PID 890)
I [15/Jan/2008:23:44:41 -0500] [Job 11] Started filter /usr/libexec/cups/filter/cgpdftoraster (PID 891)
I [15/Jan/2008:23:44:41 -0500] [Job 11] Started filter /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/Filter/rastertoescp.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescp (PID 892)
I [15/Jan/2008:23:44:41 -0500] [Job 11] Started backend /usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb (PID 893)
I [15/Jan/2008:23:44:41 -0500] [Job 11] Restarted by "xxxxxxxxxx".
W [15/Jan/2008:23:44:41 -0500] [Job 11] recovered:
E [15/Jan/2008:23:44:41 -0500] PID 892 (/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/Filter/rastertoescp.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescp) stopped with status 206!
I [15/Jan/2008:23:44:41 -0500] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
E [15/Jan/2008:23:44:44 -0500] [Job 11] Job stopped due to filter errors.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have an HP all in one printer for documents and an Epson photo printer for pics. I can print to the HP with no problems whatsoever, but when I try to print to the Epson, I get the error below.

Computer I am trying to print from: Macbook on Leo, running off wireless through router.

Computer I am trying to print to where printer is connected: Compaq desktop on XP Pro on lan connection and hosting the router.

I have printer sharing enabled on the new printer, the settings appear to be identical, but I guess not.

Any ideas?
You don't explain exactly how you have each printer connected. However, your problem appears to be a very common one that often brings users to this forum.

However, I am betting that you are trying to use vendor-supplied drivers to print to networked printers. Vendor-supplied drivers are usually for a USB connection. You cannot use a USB driver to control a Windows-shared printer. You have to download and install the CUPS driver for your model Epson. There are ample links to the Linux Foundation OpenPrinting website elsewhere on this forum. Do a search--either here or on Google.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
They weren't too helpful actually. Thank you for the answer though. :)

If anyone has a similar printer on network please share your experience. :)

User-contributed Printer Entry

This printer entry is not yet included in the Foomatic packages and the data on this page is not verified or proofread. This entry can be edited by everyone.

Notes
No luck with this one. Still looking for answers.

Also, I went to http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_ink.html and found a promising driver, but I can't open it. What distribution should I be downloading and what distribution version?

It has been giving me files I cannot open so far.

The only one that attempted to open was redhat and this is what it did:

EDIT: I logged in as root and installed the redhat driver, still the same original problem :(

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I am downstairs on my MB.

The Epson and HP printers are both upstairs on USB to a desktop, desktop has a router and cable modem.

Epson is an R280 photo printer.

I can print to the HP with no issues.

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
When I go to that page, I see this:
foo2zjs
The foo2zjs is a package to support certain HP LaserJets, Minolta, Samsung, and Xerox printers. It contains several 'foo2*' drivers.
23 printers
Gutenprint
The Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) package is a suite of high-quality open-source drivers supporting Epson, Canon, lexmark, and HP inkjet printers.
800+ printers
hl1250
The hl1250 package supports 8 Brother printers that do not include the Brother PostScript emulator.
8 printers
hpijs
The hpijs package uses the open-source hpijs driver to support over 600 varieties of (mostly HP) DeskJet, OfficeJet, PSC, LaserJet printer.
635 printers
imagewriter
The imagewriter package provides support for all three Apple ImageWriter dot-matrix printers. Printing is supported via AppleTalk and serial port.
3 printers
lpstyl
The lpstyl package supports 7 Apple Stylewriter printers. The printers must be connected to a serial port.
7 printers
m2300w
The m2300w package supports 2 Konica Minolta magicolor "w" printers.
2 printers
min12xxw
The min12xxw package supports 5 Minolta PagePro "w" printers.
5 printers
pnm2ppa
The pnm2ppa package supports printers that use the proprietary PPA (Printing Performance Architecture) protocol developed by Hewlett Packard.
6 printers
pslevel1
The pslevel1 package attempts to support printing to PostScript level 1 printers.
5 printers
pxlmono
The pxlmono package supports 461 printers from manufacturers, including Brother, Epson, Gestetner, HP, Infotec, Kyocera, Lanier, NRG, Ricoh, Samsung, and Savin. .
461 printers
rastertokmXXXXdl
The rastertokmXXXXdl drivers support the KONICA MINOLTA magicolor 2300 DL, magicolor 2430 DL, magicolor 2530 DL, magicolor 5430 DL, and magicolor 5440 DL printers.
samsung-gdi
The samsung-gdi package supports printers that use the Samsung-GDI language.
12 printers
Foomatic-RIP
The Foomatic-RIP package installs the standalone runtime machinery for printing with any Foomatic driver. It can be used to more easily install a Foomatic driver for which no Mac OS X package exists.
Loads of printers

-- the link called Gutenprint is what I was referring to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.