Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dt1611

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I got this update last night and it finally fixed the black screen glitch on my 24' iMac

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
Interesting that this was released after the keynote's revelations about AppleTV. I don't have Leopard -- anything obviously new in this update? Rentals? Bug fixes?

dt1611

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
Yeah, Front Row is a lot smoother now. It fixed the bugs that I had with my brand new iMac. Other than that, I bet it was just trying to go along with the new iTunes update.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
still no resume!

...yet since upgrading to Leopard I still haven't been able to "resume" any movies etc.. they always start from the beginning again...

i thought it would be fixed in this new frontrow update.. or maybe its a leopard 10.5.2 update thing??

I am loving this update! :)

Prior to this update I would press the "Menu" button on my Remote and it would take 2 or 3 minutes for Front Row to load on my 1.83GHz C2D Mac Mini (running Leopard). It was faster to leave Front Row on my dock, get up and click the icon than waiting on it to load from the remote.

After the update Front Row consistently starts after 10-15 seconds now. Finally I'm loving Front Row. Thank you Apple. :D

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
...yet since upgrading to Leopard I still haven't been able to "resume" any movies etc.. they always start from the beginning again...

i thought it would be fixed in this new frontrow update.. or maybe its a leopard 10.5.2 update thing??

It's because Leopard's Front Row accesses your movie files directly, not through iTunes. Therefore, it doesn't remember where you left off.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Renting movies?

I take it the update allows for playing rented downloads now. Can you rent movies through the new FrontRow (a la Apple TV), or do you still need to do that through iTunes?

update: OK, so now that I've updated FrontRow, and had a look myself, I see that the answer is NO. I was hoping that FrontRow would maintain its feature set with AppleTV. Maybe another update in 2 weeks when the AppleTV2 software update is released?

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
Prior to this update I would press the "Menu" button on my Remote and it would take 2 or 3 minutes for Front Row to load on my 1.83GHz C2D Mac Mini (running Leopard). It was faster to leave Front Row on my dock, get up and click the icon than waiting on it to load from the remote.

After the update Front Row consistently starts after 10-15 seconds now. Finally I'm loving Front Row. Thank you Apple. :D

I was having the same problem. Front Row on my mini was painful. Between the lag and the blank screen glitch. I hurt to use it. Front Row was a really impressive feature for my wife, but with how it was acting, she never used it.

Now that I updated last night, it is back with vengance.

bperboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2006
Hello? Could we please support compilation in the music part of front row? WTF!?!?!?!

geCk0

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
missing cover art

still don't get album art showing up, when source is from networked shared itunes library, with the amount of previous posts and complaints about this was hoping that this would have been fixed, or am i missing something??

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
It's because Leopard's Front Row accesses your movie files directly, not through iTunes. Therefore, it doesn't remember where you left off.
That's a bit weird because in Tiger's Front Row I could resume all kinds of movies, even those on my external disk (by creating an alias in the Movies folder) that were not in iTunes. I don't see any reason why this could not work. It should be possible by adding the data into a plist file, or am I thinking wrong here? :)

cmendill

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
resume works for me

Resume works on my setup. Are your movies in iTunes? I don't think things outside your itunes library will resume, but i'll have to double check when i get home.

Tourist

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
front row-Airtunes fix?

Any word whether this update fixes that current lack of airtunes support in leopard frontrow?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Resume works on my setup. Are your movies in iTunes? I don't think things outside your itunes library will resume, but i'll have to double check when i get home.

Yes, well that's just not enough. I have a number of movie files that I keep on an external hard drive and I don't want to have them in my iTunes library. But I do want Front Row to remember how to resume playing them, like it used to be able to. That was one of the best features of Front Row, and I really want it back.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
The great effect opening front row is gone. The desktop used to slide away and the big images would appear. Now your desktop just fades to black.

georgeoommen

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Any word whether this update fixes that current lack of airtunes support in leopard frontrow?

This is the main thing about Leopard that annoys me... Why on earth would they remove such a cool feature.. Hope apple get around to fixing this in 10.5.2.. Please apple.. pretty please......

krissvl

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Update organises TV Shows via series number???? This is CRAP.

Well the new update organizes my TV Shows via the series number not the show name, so now when i click on TV shows i get:

Prison Break
Prison Break
Prison Break
- each of these is series 1, 2 and 3 - not very smooth not very apple.

Lost
Lost
Lost
- each of these is series 1, 2 and 3 - not very smooth not very apple.

The last version was better for me......... any one have this or a fix for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.