Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queuecipher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I've been considering a MacBook Air because the most power I'll need is for composing music (and I don't mind the exclusion of a cd/dvd drive). If I were to carry all of my music and music related files on a hard drive I would be using upwards of 250 gigs (which would leave little room for other things). I wanted to run my solution by some people to see if this was possible, and if I am missing some sort of limitation.

I would have a 2.5 in external hard drive attached to the usb port on the back of the Time Capsule. I'm assuming I would be able to access this drive from the MacBook Air and work with it pretty easily and untethered while at home.

When I need to be on the move I could just unplug the ext hard drive and plug it in when needed (which won't bother me), thus giving me access to a larger hard drive when necessary.

How does this sound? And if this does work, are there backup solutions for the external drive?

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
That might work, although that's assuming the current issues with external drives connected to the AEBS are worked out in the Time Capsule as it's effectively the same thing.

As for backing up the external drive, I think you might be able to back it up through Time Machine to the Time Capsule drive, but I am not entirely sure as I don't use my drive that way.

Either way, concrete answers wont come along until the Time Capsule is shipping and that wont be till some time in February.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.