Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simicino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Or rather, how fragile? I know jogging and other turbulent activities can damage the HD of a Classic but I also know that many do it anyways without incident. I think personally I would or will (should I purchase one soon!) err on the side of caution, at least compared to some...will probably get a Shuffle for jogging...but I still would like to feel comfortable carrying my classic around while walking (I live in a downtown and walk for most my needs, so I guess this will include stairs which would mean some jerking motion), cycling with it in my pocket (I cycle long distances), possibly hiking. Would those activities still risk damage to my Classic? Would a conservative approach basically mean just sitting around listening to it at home or the office (something that my laptop/stereo can handle for me)? I know this topic has probably been discussed to death but the Classics haven't been around that long and I welcome any input as I'm really about to make a purchase imminently. Thanks.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I can tell you now a shuffle is great for doing anything that involves strange movements... it's so light you'll even forget it's there.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I have a classic and have now just purchased a nano as the dam things starts to stutter when I am out running at a reasonable rate. It is when the buffer has been used up as the genus advised me. Light running/ jogging no problem anything more and you want flash based.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I have a classic and have now just purchased a nano as the dam things starts to stutter when I am out running at a reasonable rate. It is when the buffer has been used up as the genus advised me. Light running/ jogging no problem anything more and you want flash based.

I've done a days worth of cycling with my iPod classic and it seems fine for now. I did experience stuttering as in the quote with my 4th Gen, but haven't yet with my classic. And if it does decide to stutter a quick change of song sorts it out, but just be aware that your iPod is crying inside and wants you to stop hurting it. You really wouldn't have to worry about climbing stairs because the hard drive spins for about 3 seconds every 20 minutes or so, so unless you have a never-ending staircase, chances are it'll be fine.

The activity which is probably the biggest risk there is cycling. I guess it depends on whether this is on flat ground or not. A classic should handle it, but it is a risk. A flash-based iPod would be a better idea if you frequently do these activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.