Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hey,

thinking of buying a used 12" powerbook... getting a good deal on one from a friend.

I want an super portable machine, and thought it would fit the bill. email, web, writing, basic stuff like that.

what are the advantages/disadvantages of this, vs a newer machine?

and what are the modifications i could do with it to make it even better? think it would be fun to mod the thing...

r.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
The Powerbook's use G4 processors, which are slower compared to their new Intel Counter Parts. You also Can't run Windows on PowerBook's.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Hey,

thinking of buying a used 12" powerbook... getting a good deal on one from a friend.

I want an super portable machine, and thought it would fit the bill. email, web, writing, basic stuff like that.

and what are the modifications i could do with it to make it even better? think it would be fun to mod the thing...

r.

The advantages:
-cheaper (if it's the great deal you're talking about)
-gorgeous machine that is capable of fitting a user's basic needs
-small and well built
-can run leopard if you want it to (while I'm very pleased with my powerbook g4's performance in leopard I do recommend people stick with Tiger...but that's just me)

The disadvantages:
-not as fast as Apple's current offerings
-smaller viewing area (I personally like it very much)
-battery you get might be a bit drained, but you could buy a new one
-max ram is either 1.5gb, 1.25, or 1.12 depending on which model you get
-the 867mhz model runs hotter

Overall I loved my 12 inch powerbook and I regret that I ever sold it. The 15 inch powerbook I have now still handles all my needs (which are the same ones you mentioned) and is my most powerful computer right now.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
ya, it's a good deal.

and i've already got a faster machine that i don't take around with me so often due to size...

the hard drive... which type is it? same one that i took out of my 15" macbook pro?

r.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland

Overall I loved my 12 inch powerbook and I regret that I ever sold it....

+1

Having said that, the newer offerings are much more powerful, but if you needs are relatively light (i.e. you dont need video editing), go for it if the price is good.

I'm holding out (a probably vain) hope that they will reintroduce the 12" with modern processors.

domhnal

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
MacBook Air...

I love my PowerBook G4 and it has been a solid computer for the past 3 years. The only reason I held onto it was its size and I really thought the MBA would have been 12", regardless I ordered one. I don't think you will see the return of the 12" unless a tablet type in 2009.

Cheers....

+1

Having said that, the newer offerings are much more powerful, but if you needs are relatively light (i.e. you dont need video editing), go for it if the price is good.

I'm holding out (a probably vain) hope that they will reintroduce the 12" with modern processors.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Hey,

The display is very dim compared to the newer Apple laptops (about 120cd/cm2), but if you can live with that, it's a great laptop (I love mine, especially the form factor). Furthermore, part of the RAM is soldered in an cannot be upgraded.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I wouldn't worry about the dimmer screen unless you're going to be using the PB for graphics work, in which case the 12" probably isn't right for you anyway due to speed, max memory, and screen real estate limitations. For e-mail, web browsing, word processing etc. the 12" is perfect. I absolutely love mine. I wish Apple would bring out a 12" MBP. I'd buy it like a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.