Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe Bannon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I need a program so I can send emails to all my newsletter subscribers. I've looked at the bulk emailing services, but I don't make any money from my newsletter. What is out there?

jeremynsl

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
There is one called Email Commander that was a MacUpdate promo awhile back. However, I found it didn't have proper throttling controls (my host only allows 200mails/hour) so thats a no-go. There is one more I heard of called Mailings but I haven't properly looked into that yet.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
am I wrong in thinking you could just make a group of the newsletter recipients and email to that group each time?

jeremynsl

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
With Mail? Well, not if you have thousands of people in your list. Mail will send it all at once and your ISP will be pretty unhappy...

Joe Bannon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
am I wrong in thinking you could just make a group of the newsletter recipients and email to that group each time?

No, these have to be personalized. Mainly because I put a one click unsubscribe link at the bottom of the page and I can't do that if I BCC everyone.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I use this on a Windows PC for list servs for a group I belong to. It's currently managing 7 lists for me but they aren't the size of your group.

http://www.xtreeme.com/mailxpert/

I know it's Windows but it's reasonably priced and works great. Maybe you could run it with Fusion or in Bootcamp.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
LOL. Ouch.

I have a small send to do on Feb 1. Perhaps I'll give one of the two mentioned in this thread a try. If I do, I'll post about it here.

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
I know it's not a Mac program, but have you tried phplist? It's free and as long as you have a webhost it's relatively easy to setup and use. I've been using it for a few years and it even does batch emailing (throttling), user controlled subscribe/unsubscribe, personalization, and more. For free I've been very happy with it.

Joe Bannon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I downloaded MacMassMail and tested it out. I sent a test message to myself, haven't gotten it yet. It leaches onto the Apple Mail program to send, which I don't like. Basically, it sends using the ISP you use for email. I wish it had a feature to set the servers you want to use.

Edit... I just got the test email. It went to my bulk email folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.