Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
So, I'm thinking of getting an iPod touch, and I noticed they are discounted at Amazon.

As I also would not pay sales tax or shipping from Amazon, I am wondering if there is any reason I should consider buying from the Apple store. Can you think of any?

[For example, if my amazon bought touch has a problem, can I take it to an apple store or would I have to return it to amazon?]

Thanks

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Well if you like paying more and paying state tax then buy from the Apple store.

Seriously though, items bought from the Apple stores have the updates and they usually give you a few weeks to get them free if they come during that period. Items bought anywhere else might be old stock. So you most likely have to pay $20 to get the recent apps.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Can you still get free engraving via Apple?

You can get service at Apple if you purchase at Amazon, it is their warranty. But if you had to return/exchange right away I believe you would use Amazon.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
there's no advantage to purchasing at the apple store. i bought mine at best buy and had 5 defective units. i was able to exchange them one after the other at the apple store even though i hadn't bought it there.

i recommend best buy because if yours goes bad within the first 30 days, you can return with no questions asked and no restocking fee.

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
there's no advantage to purchasing at the apple store. i bought mine at best buy and had 5 defective units. i was able to exchange them one after the other at the apple store even though i hadn't bought it there.

i recommend best buy because if yours goes bad within the first 30 days, you can return with no questions asked and no restocking fee.

But they're as expensive at best buy as they are at Apple. I thought it's best getting it straight from Apple.

a1016neo

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
I was going to buy mine from either Costco or Apple. I don't know if costco has the updated touch though

maxcady

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
If you purchase at an Apple store and need to return an item after 10 days (or maybe it was longer than 10 days) from purchase, then you need to make an appointment with a 'Genius'. You can't just walk up to a customer service counter and do a straight return. If there's no defect acknowledged by Apple then you'll have to pay a restocking fee.

From what I've read, Best Buy is a better option as long as you're getting the same model you'd get at the Apple store for the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.