Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi... I just got a fw hub, which solved some of my issues having to do with having as many external fw drives, and whatever other fw hardware I have. I no longer have to unplug/plug as much when I go from one project to another. But even with the hub, I still need more fw ports...
Can I add another fw hub to this 'chain', without suffering any ill effects?
Thanks for any advice,
malch

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
no prob malch.

I have various firewire devices daisy-chained and suffer no loss of speed (I have tested using every port/config etc.) Are you using 400 or 800 or both?

Also, I was not aware of a hub that has more than 3 ports for an external 800 hub?

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi Andy,
Sorry to be so slow getting back to you. My hub is only fw 400.
4 extra ports.
I'm suddenly a little nervous, because yesterday I attached a second fw hub, and shortly thereafter, the fw 400 and fw 800 ports on my MBP stopped working! I had to re-set things by unplugging AC and taking my battery out and holding down the power key for five seconds.
I wonder if I did something wrong.
If I try it again... do I need to plug in AC to the second fw hub, or is this somehow unnecessary, because the first one is already getting power?
Cheers,
Malcolm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.