Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
the black background is automatic when you are in the album view mode. It's the middle button, or you can change modes by using the view menu in the toolbar.

I've always wished this kind of view was an option outside of just the movies section. To be able to view CD album covers in this way under music or even TV shows grouped together until you choose to expand them. My biggest complaint is the lack of ability to truly customize how videos are grouped and viewed. You have 3 choices - movie, tv show, or music video. I have quite a few that are none of the above, but I just classify as movie since they're videos.

For instance, I have every US and UK "get a mac" ad in hi def added to iTunes, as well as the Japanese ones (sadly not hi def at all). Categorized as movies, this really adds a lot of unneeded fluff to scroll through when looking for something. It's also a lot of white on that pretty black background. lol

</rant> :p

f(A)t'kId

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    879.6 KB · Views: 684

zigmund555

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
Wow.

How many terabyte drives have you got for all those DVDs? :p

edit: Speaking of which, what are people using for external libraries? I'm just starting to rip my collection, which is around 60 movies. My iMac has the 350 gig drive so I'll likely be moving everything to external storage.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I recently purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ and 4 500GB hard drives (1.4TB usable space). My iTunes library lives on it, and I haven't had any problems with the setup yet.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Wow.

edit: Speaking of which, what are people using for external libraries? I'm just starting to rip my collection, which is around 60 movies. My iMac has the 350 gig drive so I'll likely be moving everything to external storage.

I'm an old Seagate fan, so I have been sticking with FreeAgent Desktop 500 GB externals.

f(A)t'kId

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Wow.

For my library I started off with a Western Digital 500 gig then that filled up so I bought another one. The 2nd WD 500 filled up so I bought a 1TB WD drive (from costco... price was right) and transferred all the videos from the 2 500's to the 1TB. Then started using the 500 again for movies then with the release of Leopard I bought another 1TB drive for movies and use my 2 500 GB's for time machine and video projects. So to make a story that didn't need to be long short I have 2 TB for movies. I can fit about 450 +/- movies per TB. :D

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I'm only doing movies encoded for the Ipod Touch. I figure it worth having a portable version onhand to watch, so the movies are between 700x800 mb big, Apple TV I only encode TV series as they have much more rewatchabilty than movies. I'd rather see a movie upconverted from DVD for max potential on my set

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Heres mine waiting for New External HDD got 200 more movies.

I rip them with MagicDVD on my mom's windows PC and convert to divx then transfer to Mac then open them in QuickTime Pro and Export/Save As .Mov then transfer to iTunes and presto my movie is there. I have some of the latest unreleased to DVD movie such as Rambo. If you want link to site PM me.

Northy124

Attachments

• iTunes 1.png
    iTunes 1.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 402

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Where do you guys put the info for studio like warner or universal etc. My movies just have:
Name
Cast
Genre
Time

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
If you looked you put studio name under Artist, Year under year. I can't figure out Descriptions though i tried comments but it didn't work. Also do you have a screen shot of what you have so far might help.

Northy124

Pandaboots

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Questions regarding the handbrake settings:

If I convert my dvds to :apple:TV format, is there any reason I would want to do a second convert to iPhone/iPod? I've seen a few posts here that suggest I need to have 2 copies to work with each device. Is this just a size issue or an actual file type issue? Seems to me that :apple:TV version would work on any device. Thanks

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
For descriptions you can use a free apple script from Doug's Apple Script just search for it. It's pretty easy to use.

Pandaboots: If you go to the Technical Specifications section under the Apple TV and iPhone/iPod Touch you will see that the:

Apple TV supports bitrates up to 5000 kbps and maximum resolution 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps but the

iPhone only up to 1500 kbps and maximum resolution 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second and under MPEG-4 video, up to 2500 kbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second

This means if you use Hanbrake preset AppleTV you will not be able to play the movie in your iPhone as the bitrate is too high and the device cannot support the resolution, nonetheless if you use the iPhone/iPod preset you will be able to use it on both devices but it will probably (and I say probably as I have not tried it) look not that amazing on your TV

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
For descriptions you can use a free apple script from Doug's Apple Script just search for it. It's pretty easy to use.

Pandaboots: If you go to the Technical Specifications section under the Apple TV and iPhone/iPod Touch you will see that the:

Apple TV supports bitrates up to 5000 kbps and maximum resolution 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps but the

iPhone only up to 1500 kbps and maximum resolution 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second and under MPEG-4 video, up to 2500 kbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second

This means if you use Hanbrake preset AppleTV you will not be able to play the movie in your iPhone as the bitrate is too high and the device cannot support the resolution, nonetheless if you use the iPhone/iPod preset you will be able to use it on both devices but it will probably (and I say probably as I have not tried it) look not that amazing on your TV
The iPhone can support the same DVD resolutions as the AppleTV, it is the advanced x264 features that make the AppleTV preset incompatible with iPods/iPhones.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I organize all my videos in iTunes with a tool called iTunes Drive-In. It automatically downloads metadata (including descriptions) and covers from IMDB and Amazon. TV Shows get season and episode numbers. And: it gives the option to put videos entirely in your library, or keep them on separate drives.
Overall, it saves me a lot of time.:D
it's available here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.