Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogman12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I can say that because the #1 priority of an ultra compact is connectivity <-- That is the intention of an ultra compact, to be able to take it to more places than a conventional laptop and still have full connectivity.

So why in the world would the MBA not have built-in 3G reception? And the USB port is so geared towards "looks" that it can't even accommodate an external 3G anttena. Is Apple Inc so delusional as to think wi-fi is everywhere? Certainly not within the lifetime of this Rev A MBA.

Hence, given the lack luster features of the MBA, we can conclude that it purpose is to serve as a fashion item more than anything else.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Well maybe they're going to come out with a 3G dongle. Wait till they announce a 3G iPhone, I'm sure an air announcement would be somewhere in there too. Lets not underestimate the "50 weeks remaining"

Of course its also a fashion item. It'll be a hot addition to my Hermes attache.

bogman12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Well maybe they're going to come out with a 3G dongle. Wait till they announce a 3G iPhone, I'm sure an air announcement would be somewhere in there too. Lets not underestimate the "50 weeks remaining"

Of course its also a fashion item. It'll be a hot addition to my Hermes attache.

How much of a fashion item would be with a dongle sticking out of it?

I can see it now:

"Hey check it, I've got this badass MagSafe connector on my MBA so I can't bend my power connector, oh but wait, I've got this dongle sticking out of the other side, so be careful when you walk by or you will take out my USB port, my only USB port."

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
How much of a fashion item would be with a dongle sticking out of it?

I can see it now:

"Hey check it, I've got this badass MagSafe connector on my MBA so I can't bend my power connector, oh but wait, I've got this dongle sticking out of the other side, so be careful when you walk by or you will take out my USB port, my only USB port."

Well I think its a possibility. The other possibility is something do with the iPhone + Air, who knows. This is just the beginning of the "wireless world" for Apple. I am expecting something as creative as Remote Disc.

bogman12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
YOU can conclude that, as you are entitled to your opinion, but don't believe for a second that everyone will share your same view.

You say the obvious.

Well I think its a possibility. The other possibility is something do with the iPhone + Air, who knows. This is just the beginning of the "wireless world" for Apple. I am expecting something as creative as Remote Disc.

Okay, for the MBA to go online, let's drain the battery on the iphone as well.. even better design..

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
I can say that because the #1 priority of an ultra compact is connectivity <-- That is the intention of an ultra compact, to be able to take it to more places than a conventional laptop and still have full connectivity.

So why in the world would the MBA not have built-in 3G reception? And the USB port is so geared towards "looks" that it can't even accommodate an external 3G anttena. Is Apple Inc so delusional as to think wi-fi is everywhere? Certainly not within the lifetime of this Rev A MBA.

Hence, given the lack luster features of the MBA, we can conclude that it purpose is to serve as a fashion item more than anything else.

Well wifi isn't everywhere, but here in San Diego man, it sure seems like it! I can get wifi pretty much anywhere here, most people don't even buy it because you can always get it from one of the neighbors haha. And every coffee shops here has internet, most of the time free to. And oh ya, coffee shop on every corner. :D

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Has everybody forgotten about the patent Apple filed a while back which depicted a monitor capable of accommodating a slide-in thin laptop? I'm excited to see where that goes...Apple's first real docking station?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Has everybody forgotten about the patent Apple filed a while back which depicted a monitor capable of accommodating a slide-in thin laptop? I'm excited to see where that goes...Apple's first real docking station?

It was just a patent. Don't expect anything to come of it.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
How can one possibly conclude that the MBA is only a fashion item simply because it doesn't have built in 3g??? I use my MBA as a primary machine to get work done. I have no need/want for 3g compatibility. I can get all of my work done at home, in my office, at the coffee shop, in the hotel, pretty much anywhere I actually sit down and use it... even in the classrooms where I teach!

Does that then make every ultraportable without 3g compatibility a fashion item? Does it mean that if I would not like to pay the exorbitant amount for a 3g data plan I am only carrying a fashion item? I don't think so.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits

Hmmm...

I use mine as my primary business and personal machine. Including, but not limited to: Hooking up to external monitor/keyboard/mouse, running a gamut of programs (including VMware 3), windows, calyx, word, excel, Adobe 9pro... etc, etc. It's with me at the office; and with me on the road.
I utilize cloud storage often, and used the dvd drive twice; to install SL, and Office.

Additionally, I use logmein to monitor, fix and install system patches to my SBS2003 environment at work.

Yeah, some fashion item.

TangyToad

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2003

Apple's first real docking station is here already!!! Rejoice!

attachment.php

Attachments

• duo230.jpg
    duo230.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 859

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
Dragging up a 2 year old thread... yet still relevant! Nice find. :D

HAHA, I didn't even look at the last post... I swear it showed up at the top of the MBA forum in bold... so I just assumed it was done recently... but yeah, it's probably a good time to revive the topic anyway!

halledise

macrumors 68000

a thread started by someone with a gripe, who obviously doesn't own and probably hasn't ever tried out an Air.
a real 'kiss-my-arse' statement if ever I saw one

and even if said person does have an Air, then still has an obvious gripe and is missing the entire point of the Air which is way way more than just a fashion statement :D

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006

You might conclude that. From a users point of view, I don't agree. I am sysad, programmer, and engineer, mainly working on linux servers. I am using the MBA all day, a USB dongle or BT tethering providing 3G connection if needed. Additionally, here in Japan, pocket-wifi is available which I might switch to. I don't need the USB port otherwise very much but it is there and always can be augmented with a USB Hub. As for me, I love the light weight and adequate road performance paired with bigger screen size, making it the ideal work tool.

Now, you are right that an internal 3G would be nice but such doesn't break the deal for the MBA being more than a fashionable item. It still is a tool if it fits your requirements.

chickadee

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
I would also disagree. The ability to carry the Air anywhere has been a mind-boggling productivity boost for me. Just as with the old doctors' adage "the best exercise is the one one you'll do", the best computer is the one you'll use, and my Air's constant proximity is the main reason I just delivered a 250-page document almost three weeks early.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
The 1.5lbs weight difference between the Air and the 13" Pro is more than just a small figure - it's a functional difference: The fact that you can throw the Air around easily with one hand makes the difference much more synergistic than the number.

As chickadee indicates above, productivity and the amount of actual playtime it gets because of its form factor goes through the stratosphere. In fact, among owners of both the Air and any other more powerful notebook - in my own reading the vast majority are stating that the Air gets much more use. It seems when it comes to the crunch, preferences are not dictated by sheer benchmarks even for us computer enthusiasts!

To be honest I don't even feel any need to defend the Air on any logical basis whatsoever - I love the damn thing :) And yes one of the massive factors I love it is its look. It looks better than anything else to my eye. This thing turns heads make no mistake.

Call it a fashion accessory, call it anything. Its form factor/spec tradeoff is simply phenomenal and in my view the Macbook Air is the best notebook ever created (Rev B/C) in the history of computer hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.