Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
For no apparent reason Safari now takes 10 to 25 seconds to change or open a web page on a 10MB Internet connection.

The only thing that I know I changed was the install of Office2008. Can't imagine that did the deed, but I can't explain it otherwise.

Unplugged the Ethernet cable from my iMAC and plugged it into my Windows Vista HP notebook, and the Internet is fast as ever under Internet Explorer.

This is a miserable situation. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
The only two browsers I can check are as follows:

iMAC Safari: Extremely slow.

HP Notebook, Windows Vista, Internet Explorer: Very Fast.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
I don't have Office, but have experienced the Safari issue. Cannot correlate it to open apps, and can't figure out what other apps could possibly influence it.

AdBlock/Safariblock don't seem to have any influence -- I thought at first that they might be the culprit, but....

After I take a backup I'm going to shred my safari plists, then see if that helps.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I don't have Office, but have experienced the Safari issue. Cannot correlate it to open apps, and can't figure out what other apps could possibly influence it.

AdBlock/Safariblock don't seem to have any influence -- I thought at first that they might be the culprit, but....

After I take a backup I'm going to shred my safari plists, then see if that helps.

Would you please report back here your results? I will also report back here if I find the reason for this problem and/or a solution.

Thanks.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Another Thought

I am fairly new to the Macintosh, so I am unfamiliar with OS repairs, etc.

Is it possible to reinstall Safari from the original Leopard disk without having to reinstall everything else?

Thanks for your comments.

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I am fairly new to the Macintosh, so I am unfamiliar with OS repairs, etc.

Is it possible to reinstall Safari from the original Leopard disk without having to reinstall everything else?

Thanks for your comments.
Yeah it is. Pop in your Leopard disk and click on "optional install" (or something like that) and check the Safari checkbox. I'd fully remove Safari and all the files first before you do that though to ensure a completely clean install of Safari if you went that route.

Good luck.

aviddk

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
SW Oregon
I wonder if it wasn't the latest software update that hit Safari. I switched back to Camino and it doesn't seem to have the problem. I am hoping the slow down on Safari is rectified with 10.5.2. When you have an iPhone using Safari is a huge advantage.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
Hmm.... shredded every plist wrt Safari. Can't see any change, subjectively speaking.

I'm travelling at the moment, but will delete/reinstall Safari when I get back, and see if there's any difference.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I wonder if it wasn't the latest software update that hit Safari. I switched back to Camino and it doesn't seem to have the problem. I am hoping the slow down on Safari is rectified with 10.5.2. When you have an iPhone using Safari is a huge advantage.

I am running Safari 3.0.4 (5523.10.6). I suspect this is the latest version of Safari. I don't have another browser to try.

Safari Issues

I am running Safari 3.0.4 (5523.10.6). I suspect this is the latest version of Safari. I don't have another browser to try.

While I am a MAC addict, I am not particularly fond of Safari. I am running Version 3.0.4 (523.12.2), and constantly have to force quit. Does anyone else experience this? I use Firefox much more frequently because of that.
:cool:

MoncoZero

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
tv land
Me too. Safari has been substantially slower for me recently. And come to think of it, it was around the time I installed MS Office 2008.
However, Firefox still works fine.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Me too. Safari has been substantially slower for me recently. And come to think of it, it was around the time I installed MS Office 2008.
However, Firefox still works fine.

Downloaded Firefox this morning and launched it. Same results.
Sl o o o o o w startup of web pages. Launching a web site or changing to a new page within a web site can take 8 to 25 seconds.

Guess the problem is probably NOT Safari after all.

This is driving me crazy. The only other things that might affect this is:
1. I installed Office 2008 on Saturday, 4 days ago. This should not affect Safari operation or timing, should it?
2. Charter Communications changed my bit rate from 5MB to 10MB recently. I wonder if my system is just choking on the higher bit rate?

mlcatl

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
I got the same problem

My internet connection, etc is OK. it's something in the Mac. Interestingly, I can stream HD video with no problem. I DIDN'T install Microsoft Office 2008, but I DID install Remote Desktop....

When I reboot, the problem stops... for a while, then returns. Totally f***ing irritating.

mlcatl:mad:

shwc

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2005
It is possible that you have an outdated DNS address in your DNS server list. If you have a bad DNS server address, your computer will spend a lot of time trying to get information from that address.

Normally, you should not have anything in the DNS server field. Your machine will automatically connect to a local DNS server if nothing is listed. If your ISP told you to put something in the DNS field, get an updated DNS server address from them. Also, make sure that your computer is not trying to access a private (e.g., work or school) DNS server from your home. The private DNS server will not let you on.

Good News?

It is possible that you have an outdated DNS address in your DNS server list. If you have a bad DNS server address, your computer will spend a lot of time trying to get information from that address.

Normally, you should not have anything in the DNS server field. Your machine will automatically connect to a local DNS server if nothing is listed. If your ISP told you to put something in the DNS field, get an updated DNS server address from them. Also, make sure that your computer is not trying to access a private (e.g., work or school) DNS server from your home. The private DNS server will not let you on.

Okay, this I did not know about. Thank you. How do I actually do all of this?:confused:

way77

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
On the Waters...
Try this

I also experience frequent slowdowns w Safari. When it gets too bad I delete all cookies and empty the cache. Sometimes I also clear the history, but the first two seem to be the most relevant. Next restart it's good to go.

OilConsumer

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Yea i had that problem also but mine also kept crashing.

My answer is change to Firefox :D

and if you really like the safari os x look just download extensions :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.