Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Does anyone with a new 24 inch iMac experience problems with bluetooth? Occasionally, my bluetooth mouse stops responding completely, and I have to use a wired mouse. I tried repairing permissions but it didn't help. Sometimes I even have to restart my computer because something crashes. Help anyone?
P.S.- anyone's imac gone to sleep and had trouble waking up/ statup issues?

ceres

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Dark Forests of Germania
Does anyone with a new 24 inch iMac experience problems with bluetooth? Occasionally, my bluetooth mouse stops responding completely, and I have to use a wired mouse. I tried repairing permissions but it didn't help. Sometimes I even have to restart my computer because something crashes. Help anyone?
P.S.- anyone's imac gone to sleep and had trouble waking up/ statup issues?

no luckily no such issues. do you have a windows bootcamp partition?
if so, i´d check if the issues also surface under win. If so it´s probably a hardware issue.

Particular

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
Yes I have the exact same problem and so are a lot of other people

It happens soon after the computer comes out of standby

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
No I don't have a bootcamp partition, and yes it does happen when it comes out of standby (sometimes)or (sometimes out of the blue)
Any fixes?

Glad to see I'm not the only one

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
I have this same issue! Brand new 24" imac. Any solutions?? :confused:

ceres

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Dark Forests of Germania
I have this same issue! Brand new 24" imac. Any solutions?? :confused:

If you are using the wireless "mighty" mouse switching it off and back on by sliding the switch on the back should make the mouse visible to the OS again.
I was able to reproduce your findings using my mm. So it´s a software issue that can be fixed.

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
The thing I noticed is that if my bluetooth mouse is "not responding". I can try turning it on and off to no avail from the system. However if I try to turn the bluetooth off then on to reset the imac's reciever, it will freeze up the bluetooth menu's until I reboot.... Anyone else have this error?

Soulprod

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Same Issue with Bluetooth

new iMac 20" - having similar issues with both my Bluetooth Keyboard & Mighty Mouse. Now, that being said, I have a suspicion that it has something to do with Parallels. Another piece that I notice is that when I try to shutdown or restart wheneven I have issues with my Keyboard & Mouse (forced to restart with a USB mouse), it won't shut down correctly. It closes everything and then the little circle appears and goes round & round until I'm forced to do a hard shut down.

My mini mac hasn't had this issue AND I don't run Parallels (with Windows XP) so I'm beginning to suspect this. I have talked to Parallels customer support several times to no avail.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one, but still doesn't solve the damn problem.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
wow, I have the same issue. just made a post about it..

Turning the mouse of and on corrects the problem for the time being.

Soulprod

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Bigger issue...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think it's a bigger issue. After my bluetooth disconnects and doesn't allow me to use by keyboard & mouse, I plug in my usb mouse to shut down.

Two other things happen as well:
1) when I shut down, it won't complete the entire shutdown process - the little circle just keeps going round and round....

2) when I try to go the bluetooth preference, it won't open. It just keeps processing and trying to open.

Spent 60 mins with apple on the phone yesterday. They tried to convince me it's because I'm using the white bluetooth keyboard from the last version of the iMac instead of the new thin silver one, but the mouse is exactly the same. It's a software issue clearly - but nobody can figure it out. Yet (i hope).

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think it's a bigger issue. After my bluetooth disconnects and doesn't allow me to use by keyboard & mouse, I plug in my usb mouse to shut down.

Two other things happen as well:
1) when I shut down, it won't complete the entire shutdown process - the little circle just keeps going round and round....

2) when I try to go the bluetooth preference, it won't open. It just keeps processing and trying to open.

Spent 60 mins with apple on the phone yesterday. They tried to convince me it's because I'm using the white bluetooth keyboard from the last version of the iMac instead of the new thin silver one, but the mouse is exactly the same. It's a software issue clearly - but nobody can figure it out. Yet (i hope).

The fix for me was that the previous iMac update did not properly install (I guess?). So I downloaded that exact update (the one for the new Alum iMacs). Installed it and restarted as it told me to. After that just to be sure, I shutdown the machine after it rebooted. Then booted it back up and reset the PRAM (which I am SURE they did to you on the phone). After that the mouse has been working fine for me, it just gets crappy when the batteries get down pretty low (go figure!? :p)

Hope this helps, took me almost 4 hours to get it working consistantly. Also one thing that seems to help is to wake from keyboard instead of the mouse (but after doing the above I no longer have the issue).

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
The fix for me was that the previous iMac update did not properly install (I guess?). So I downloaded that exact update (the one for the new Alum iMacs). Installed it and restarted as it told me to. After that just to be sure, I shutdown the machine after it rebooted. Then booted it back up and reset the PRAM (which I am SURE they did to you on the phone). After that the mouse has been working fine for me, it just gets crappy when the batteries get down pretty low (go figure!? :p)

Hope this helps, took me almost 4 hours to get it working consistantly. Also one thing that seems to help is to wake from keyboard instead of the mouse (but after doing the above I no longer have the issue).

Na, there is not a fix.

I have had it from the beginning and have done several fresh installs since I have owned the computer.

The problem persists... Running 10.5.2 now.

macpaul30

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Try turning on bluetooth sharing in sys prefs-sharing. I saw this posted somewhere on the net and decided to try it on my 24" Alum iMac, since I was having problems with my wireless mm after it went to sleep. After turning on bluetooth sharing I was able to use the wireless mm without any problems even though it makes no sense to me as to why it should work.

Good luck!

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Try turning on bluetooth sharing in sys prefs-sharing. I saw this posted somewhere on the net and decided to try it on my 24" Alum iMac, since I was having problems with my wireless mm after it went to sleep. After turning on bluetooth sharing I was able to use the wireless mm without any problems even though it makes no sense to me as to why it should work.

Good luck!

hmmm, I'll try it.

nothing to lose here.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I'm having the same problem. I will be using my mac when the icon shows up that the keyboard has lost connection, and then my mm wont work properly.

It even wakes my computer up when in standby, which is a bit annoying.

bigevilalien

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, IL
The same thing has happened to me using my 12" PowerBook G4 running 10.5.4. What can I do to help this? I tried using the "shared bluetooth" trick but to no avail! Help me! My mighty mouse won't work for more than 10 minutes at a time!

hkip37

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2009
georgia
bringing back an old thread...

having issues with my new 24" imac. the mouse will stop responding, but looking at the bluetooth icon in the menu bar, the mouse it still connected. only thing I can do to fix it is plug in a wired mouse, turn off bluetooth, then turn it back on. same mouse worked just fine on my 20" imac. makes me wonder if there's a problem with the actual computer. using a wired keyboard. i wish there was some keyboard shortcut to enable / disable bluetooth. or maybe a shortcut to a specific widget.. i found a widget that enables / disables bluetooth when clicked

i do have a second wireless mm.. i guess the next time this one quits working, i could turn the other on and see if it works

hkip37

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2009
georgia
think my problem is fixed, thought i'd post for anyone else having the problem..

when my mouse quit responding, i tried turning on the second mouse to see if it would pick it up.. it didn't. had to turn bluetooth off and back on to get either to work

so i tried just using the new mouse, and it never stopped responding like the old one..

well, my old mouse used to be paired to my 20" imac.. so i decided to try turning it on and pairing the mouse back with it again, and then deleting the mouse from the 20". that seems to have fixed my problem with the 24"

Xorro

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2008
UK
I've been having the same prob and made a post about it here the other day: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/669362/

My mouse stopped working while using the Mac, it hadn't even had chance to go to sleep and I don't have bootcamp.

Also, I don't have two MMs to try.

As per my post I have to get a spare USB mouse, plug it in, disconnect MM on the bluetooth menu, then re-connect.

hkip37

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2009
georgia
I've been having the same prob and made a post about it here the other day: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/669362/

My mouse stopped working while using the Mac, it hadn't even had chance to go to sleep and I don't have bootcamp.

Also, I don't have two MMs to try.

As per my post I have to get a spare USB mouse, plug it in, disconnect MM on the bluetooth menu, then re-connect.

try deleting it from your bluetooth list, then clicking the add button to add it, instead of letting the computer add it on its own

elupy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2004
Same problem with wireless MM and brand new iMac 24"

Bluetooth mighty mouse would stop responding about once or twice a day. I can get it to respond again by connecting a usb mouse and disconnecting the wireless mighty mouse from the bluetooth menu and reconnecting it again.

Want to find a permanent solution!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Yes I have the exact same problem and so are a lot of other people

It happens soon after the computer comes out of standby

I'm having the same problem but it's not when i come out of standby. It's at random times while in the middle of using the mouse.

BTW, it's a new 24" iMac and wireless Mighty Mouse.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Bluetooth mighty mouse would stop responding about once or twice a day. I can get it to respond again by connecting a usb mouse and disconnecting the wireless mighty mouse from the bluetooth menu and reconnecting it again.

Want to find a permanent solution!

Exactly the same here. I use my Logitech Revolution to disconnect/reconnect my Mighty Mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.