Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k40jeep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I was in my local apple store today and a guy brought in a few week old
macbook pro. The battery had one of the cells explode. I was able to snap a pic on my iphone quick and discreetly before the genius's swarmed the battery and replaced it quickly and quietly. Thought I would post the pic for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 2,461

bogman12

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Scary stuff.. but really the fault of the battery manufacture.. which would suggest that no product is safe as long as it uses li-ion batteries..

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Hehe...when a battery in a Windows laptop explodes, it's because Windows (and the laptop's manufacturer) sucks. When a Macbook Pro battery explodes, it's clearly the fault of the battery manufactuer! :D

bogman12

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Hehe...when a battery in a Windows laptop explodes, it's because Windows (and the laptop's manufacturer) sucks. When a Macbook Pro battery explodes, it's clearly the fault of the battery manufactuer! :D

Really? I thought the predominate feeling for a faulty battery has the blame on Apple....

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008

haha fur sure

k40jeep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I knew they were having a problem with this a while back but I was shocked when I saw this.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
When I was at the genius bar the other week, a woman came in with a battery that exploded. The genius looked at, laughed, and said something about how he hadn't ever seen one like that personally and that it was kind of cool. Whatever....

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Hopefully it wasn't on the persons laps, or you could say goodbye to genitalia! :eek:

Is scary though thinking about it

k40jeep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
If I brought something like that in and the genius laughed at me I'd be close to punching him in the face. What a jerk. That's just not called for.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Yeh I've seen one which did this.

It happens. Not Apple's fault, not the battery manufacturer's fault, as such. It's simply a failure and no product can have 100% reliability.

Like when everyone said don't buy a Dell laptop because the batteries might explode (me included at the time)? Not Dell's fault, or Apple's. If anything, it was Sony's fault.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Hopefully it wasn't on the persons laps, or you could say goodbye to genitalia! :eek:

Is scary though thinking about it

Very scary thought.... [shifts laptop 4" down the legs].

Although how common of an issue is this? I have personally never seen it in person, not even with the cheap 2 for 1 Windows Laptops you can buy.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Extremely uncommon.

But still common enough to shift that laptop towards my knees away from groinal zone! :eek:

I agree with the general jist of the thread though, you can't particularly blame apple. If it was a common problem, you'd sure enough hear about it on this forum!

By the way, to the OP, great stealth pics, ever thought about becoming a private detective? ;)

russeta

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
I had one of these so called 'exploding' batteries.
it sucked.
i sent it back for a replacement and got billed $172 for it even tho i followed every direction they gave me to prevent billing. Terrible system with UPS.

i phoned support and had the charges reversed. support was good. system was bad

rsm5068

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Am I the only one that finds this marginally awesome? I understand the danger and respect that... but as a Scout, things that blow up make me happy inside.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I wonder what happens when a macbook air battery explodes???

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
The battery swelled. If it exploded, that machine would be a heap of charred remains.

Batteries can do that if the cell is shorted and if its been drained too much or charged for too long (the charge safe circuit failed).

You can't chalk this one up to the battery manufacturer until they've had a look at it.

tandaman

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
This totally just happened to me. This morning as I was editing in FCP, all of a sudden I noticed my laptop was wobbly on my desk. I turned it over and the battery had swollen up huge. I called applecare, and they said I was out of warranty so I had to buy a new, $130 battery.

Luckily, I live pretty close to an apple store. I took it in, and they replaced it for free. Makes me wonder why the apple store employees are so nice and the applecare guy was so unhelpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.