Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Anyone know....does OS X have a global Open a Finder window shortcut key combo? I've looked but haven't found anything.

Looking for something similar to Windows 'Flag + e' to open Explorer.

-Kevin

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
When Finder's the active application, command-N opens a new window.

Since the built-in keyboard shortcut functionality is per-application, you'd need a third-party application (like the old QuickKeys) to make a system-wide keyboard shortcut to 1) activate Finder and 2) hit command-N.

evandena

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Easiest way for me is to Alt-Tab to finder (which is always in that list), then Command+N

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
When Finder's the active application, command-N opens a new window.

Since the built-in keyboard shortcut functionality is per-application, you'd need a third-party application (like the old QuickKeys) to make a system-wide keyboard shortcut to 1) activate Finder and 2) hit command-N.

Do they have something like it now? I want to be able to sleep my computer by just pressing F19.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Odd that Apple doesn't have a Open NEW finder window shortcut, since so much of the rest of the OS is keyboard based.

Guess I'll have to live with it, or get used to Cmd Tabbing to Finder and Cmd N to open a new window.

:(

-Kevin

JLM

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
finder is normally at the top of your dock.

So 'fn' + 'ctrl' + 'f3'
then press return to select.

(you can use arrow keys to cycle through other dock apps)

zolee1

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Option+Command+Space opens a spotlight window, which is essentially Finder.

Huacanacha

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
I usually launch applications from the spotlight menu:
-> command-space -> start typing name -> enter

Most apps you just need the first letter or two. I find this just as fast as a direct shortcut, as it is consistent for all applications rather than remembering all the different key combinations. This is identical to "windows_key -> type name -> enter" in Win7 etc. I find this very efficient... more so even that task switching with command-tab as the key shortcuts are always the same vs random number of command-tab presses.

However... Finder app doesn't show up in the Spotlight search!

Solution:
1) Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/
2) command-option-drag Finder to the Applications folder.

This creates a shortcut which is Spotlight searchable. The sequence is then command-space-"finder"-enter. Not ideal having to type the whole word.... if only spotlight remembered your common choices and promoted them to top of the search results.... the could just use "f" or "fi" then enter.

porjes

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
open folder, not finder

I never want to just 'open finder', I always want to open a folder.

So... go to finder preferences and drag the 'folders' to the top of the list
Then Cmd-Space to open finder, start typing the folder name, and arrow-down (if necessary, which it isn't if you get a 'top hit') and Cmd-Enter to open the folder.

Works for me...

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Just create a service in Automator.

Have it "Run Applescript"

Code:
tell application "Finder"
	activate
	set new_window to make new Finder window
end tell

You can get more fancy and set the size and what not, or change have it open with column view, etc.

Save that service and set a shortcut for it in Keyboard Prefs --> Keyboard Shortcuts

timd.mackey

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010

Have it "Run Applescript" ...

Thanks calderone, your solution works like a charm. The only change that I made is to make finder activate after the create new window, rather than before. This avoids having your Mac switch to a different Space if you already have another finder window open on another Space. Here's the modified code:

Code:
	activate
end tell

damith

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
short cut keys to finder

hi all,

⌘-Option-Space bar

its came as short cut for Spotlight window
we can also use it as finder shortcut....

cheers,,

dooban

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Not working

I can't make it work. Only works when selecting text before pressing the shortcut.

I doesn't work either when Finder is the active app. (yes I know I can press CMD-N but I just want one a global shortcut).

Have it "Run Applescript"

Code:
	activate
end tell

You can get more fancy and set the size and what not, or change have it open with column view, etc.

Save that service and set a shortcut for it in Keyboard Prefs --> Keyboard Shortcuts

TheSkullKing

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Solution

You make an automator service that does it, and put Run Applescript in the service. Go to System Preferences > Keyboard and then bind the Service to a key combination.

jt6572

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Perth West Australia
i found this forum looking for the exact same thing.
i have Spark installed and have used it to create the shortcut "command + F"

in Spark, double click on Applications, then browse to (your)iMac - System - Library - CoreServices and then Finder.app

easy peasy! :)

hope this helps.

Last edited:

DonnieBeancat

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Opening new finder window

For Snow Leopard -- Go to Keyboard in System Preferences, under Keyboard Shortcuts, go to Keyboard & Text Input: Double click over current/default shortcut for "Move focus to the Dock" change to ⌘, (or ⌘ and whatever symbol you want) Then - you just have to hit ⌘, ⏎ and its done

andsens

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Or you could just use the snow leopard built in shortcut

System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Services -> General -> New Finder window
:D
I have assigned it to ⌥⌘N

chriswhat

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Anyone know....does OS X have a global Open a Finder window shortcut key combo? I've looked but haven't found anything.

Looking for something similar to Windows 'Flag + e' to open Explorer.

-Kevin

If you're not in Finder, the best way to open a new Finder window is to press:

Command+Option+SpaceBar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.