Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SvenonTech.com claims to have tracked down an Apple representative at Macworld who was willing to speak about the reason why Copy/Paste has not yet arrived in the iPhone.

The validity of the comments are in question as it seems unlikely that an Apple employee with this knowledge would necessarily speak freely about it at Macworld. The claim is that iPhone Copy and Paste is being actively developed, but how exactly to implement the functionality appears to be up for debate.
The trouble it is having is implementation. How to easily call up a copy or cut option and then the paste action. It’s probable that the zoom bubble (the one that brings up the edit cursor) is the issue as it has removed the obvious tap and hold position from Apple to use for a pop-up menu of some sort. Text selection is another difficulty to sort out. Certainly, the cursor could be added to the menu selection; however, Apple wants to keep this as simple as possible and that added step would not lend itself to simple.
Historically, Apple had already addressed a menu-less copy/paste in their previous touch-based handheld, the Newton. A description and video shows how Apple implemented Copy/Paste on the Newton, though it would conflict with the press-hold magnifying glass in the iPhone.

Other iPhone users have suggested alternate possibilities (screenshot, mockup video) but these also suffer from complexity issues.

Meanwhile, the Apple representative also claimed that "Apple's aware of the Exchange need" but stopped short of confirming that it was coming.

Article Link

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
Copy and paste. I don't really miss it.

Now a better way to get to my exchange server than through Outlook WebAccess. That would be nice.

And if it is between the two, Apple has to have Exchange as the priority. It is what holds it back from getting more penetration into the business market.

Though, in parallel to that is AT&T support for corporate accounts. When my company tried to add the iPhone to their existing accounts AT&T would not allow it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hopefully they will settle on a Copy/Paste method by the time the SDK is ready, so that app developers won't try to invent their own conflicting methods.

Sussman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2006
Colorado
Mockup video looks good.

I think the mockup video was funny and well done, as well as a great idea of how to copy/paste

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
Hopefully they will settle on a Copy/Paste method by the time the SDK is ready, so that app developers won't try to invent their own conflicting methods.

That is a good point. With the current set of applications I don't need it. Though what application would you want to create that would need it?

Would it not be better to allow more smart tag like functions? i.e. I don't need to copy a phone number because the iPhone recognizes that.

sebastianlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
San Francisco
So if 1 finger brings up the zoom bubble, then why not add a second finger to bring up text selection and when the fingers are lifted up, the options to copy, cut, cancel, and paste come up below the selection?

Sebastian

RayCon

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2001
Stillwater MN
So if 1 finger brings up the zoom bubble, then why not add a second finger to bring up text selection and when the fingers are lifted up, the options to copy, cut, cancel, and paste come up below the selection?

Sebastian

Yes, exactly my sentiments. If Apple can do finger-spread and double-tap zooming, I'm certain that this would not be that difficult.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Please, just bring on copy/paste already!!! If we can't have that then please let us get MMS! Those are the two things that I want/miss the most.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Good point. There's got to be a ton of viable options. Double Finger Double Tap, Single finger triple tap... etc.

I don't own an iPhone, so I don't know if this conflicts with anything...

but how about a rapid counter or clockwise turn? One to copy, one to paste?

You select the text (...I'm assuming you can do that with the loupe), then if you want to copy, you turn two fingers each 90º clockwise (I'm thinking of the MBa move), copying the text.

Then you would go to where you wanted to place it, put the cursor there, and do the same twist-move, but counter-clockwise.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland

Sebastian
I made this comment (very similar anyway) on AI about 4.5 months ago.

tothelimit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
South Florida
I think the mockup video was funny and well done, as well as a great idea of how to copy/paste

at the beginning when he finishes the first few sentences and then just moves his mouth around - thats pretty darn funny.

and then 'thanks for watching.... i love you'.

well played.

ryanflanders256

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
A "smartphone" without copy & paste? How pathetic!

Somebody please fix this! It's driving me nuts!

After being without copy and paste for months, I don't care about implementation anymore--I just want to be able to friggin' copy and paste!

Location triangulation in Google Maps?

Cool.

No copy and paste???

WTF!

FIX IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
I don't think relying on gestures to copy and paste will meet Apple's standards for ease of use, as they don't have any intuitive gestures associated with them. I think they'll probably end up doing something like this:

Double-tap and hold to start highlighting. The zoom bubble will pop up, showing you where your selection ends. Once the selection is made, a button panel will pop up at the bottom of the screen, with Cut, Copy, Paste and Cancel options.

It's simple enough, doesn't interfere with the zoom bubble, and doesn't require an additional menu to stay on screen.

Edit: I just realized another problem: You need to be able to accurately place the beginning point in the selection, and without the zoom bubble it's going to be difficult, so selecting will either have to be quick so you can redo it if you start in the wrong place, or allow you to pan around to set the beginning point of the selection. Panning around before the selection starts will add complexity to the process, so the best way I can think of is a selection mode, where other tap behaviors such as the double tap zoom in Safari will be disabled. Then you just drag over text to select it.

emccus01

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
Exchange!!! If there is an apple rep reading this forum please include this soon on the phone!!

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Simple copy and pasting on iPhone

Seems a simple "copy/paste" solution for iPhone that's in keeping with "gestures" would be to SWIPE a finger across text to select it. Once selected, TAP it to copy, or "lift," it off the page. Drag it to where you want with a finger (it could appear translucent over a placement cursor while dragging) and then TAP AGAIN to paste, or "place," it in its new location.

To truly copy selected text and paste duplicate text in new location, simply use two fingers: one to hold the original position and the other to drag the selected text to the new location.

This method wouldn't conflict with the tap-and-hold method currently used for the magnifying glass (which probably shouldn't be changed). Nor does it address copying and pasting between applications. Perhaps for that, a clipboard app (accessible from all applications) could be employed somehow.

Apple will surely implement copy/paste on iPhone that will be intuitive and elegant. With the SDK arriving next month, a third party developer may beat Apple to the punch.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Why don't you just have the magnifying glass come up, as usual, but include a button next to the magnifying glass that you can press with a second finger to begin selecting text?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.