Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

girlinthemoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Hi all!

New to the forum :)

I have an opportunity to buy a G4. Don't know a ton about Macs and I would love help in deciding what is a fair price. I would like to do some designing on this computer and use it as a learning machine until I buy something new in a year or two at the most.

Here are the specs I have on hand:
  • "fastest one they made"
  • 933 mhz
  • 60 gig HD
  • Software is staying on . . . Macromedia 8, Adobe CS1, fonts . . .

No monitor, keyboard, mouse. This person wants $800 which seems high. Thoughts anyone?

Many thanks for any help.

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
You'd be a sucker to buy that.

A "good" used G4 would be $200-$300. I'd not pay a penny more.

And pirated software? That's not worth anything.

girlinthemoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Well this stinks.

The seller is the person who redesigned a website that I will be maintaining for a small business owner.

The seller thought this could be a solution since she knew I was thinking about trying a Mac and that this would give me access to Dreamweaver/Fireworks (which is $400) to maintain the site instead of buying it for my pc.

Considering the amount of money the person I am supporting spent for her redesign/support, it seems a little rotten to ask that amount of money for something this board, e-bay, and a few friends have told me is way too much. Feeling a bit disappointed.

Thanks for all of your input!

ctango

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Mountains
Fair estimate

60 GB hard drive, probably original, I'm sure it is weak on the RAM as well.

If it looks like this person will be feeding you more websites to maintain, then it would be worth it to pay at or slightly above market value. However, if you are only going to have limited dealings with them I would pay no more than offer them $350 with the software boxes / Proof Of Purchase included. (with proper proof of purchase you can get a good upgrade to CS3).

If they come to the table and "oops" forgot the boxes/POP, then I would renegotiate for $150-250.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.