Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nintapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Problem: iPod touch stuck on recovery mode
itunes: tried 7.6, 7.5, 7.4.2
firmware: tried 1.1.3, 1.1.2, 1.1.1 (started with 1.1.1)
Computers: tried on intel imac core duo and friend's powerbook g4
Guides Used: Macrumors Jailbreak to 1.1.3 guide RupertGee-to 1.1.2
Errors Received while attempt Restore: 1604, 2001, unknown error 1

As you can see, I have put hours into trying to get the wobbly icons. I started with iTunes 6 and iPod touch 1.1.1 jailbreaked. I made the mistake of not using iJailbreak.com's wonderful simple app to jump to 1.1.3. Instead, I used macrumors tedious and sparsely detailed guide to upgrade. After initially coming upon Recovery Mode and getting stuck, I did some research and found out iTunes 6 does not work with the macrumors guide. Also I made the error of using Safari to download the 1.1.2 firmware, which my friend says will automatically unzip it (big nono apparently). So after that crazy mumbo jumbo, I did all the troubleshooting recommended in the million guides and threads out there... the restarting iTunes/computer, dropping to iTunes 5 and 4, holding the home and hold buttom to restart ipod, using a new account, checking USB ports, even using my friends powerbook. .... still stuck in recovery mode with a flip flop between error 2001 and 1604 (mostly 1604) after attempting to option-restore with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

Boy, this is getting confusing. I'm counting on you macrumor forum geniuses out there. I think I layed out everything nice and clear but...
if there are any questions about my circumstance that could help you solve my problem, PLEASE ASK!

btw, i really wish this would get notice from the super helpers in the iPhone hacks section. too bad these two hack-sections aren't merged.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
well, ipod touch is only compatible with itunes 7.6 or later. you must update it. that's why you are stuck. it's very basic you should know before doing it. come on.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Download the new beta if iNdependence and run it. It should kick the iPod touch OUT of recovery mode. I had to do that to mine once.

nintapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
well, ipod touch is only compatible with itunes 7.6 or later. you must update it. that's why you are stuck. it's very basic you should know before doing it. come on.

i meant itunes 7.6. not 6. previous itunes versions are perfectly compatible though, especially since we're talking about 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

second off, i tried itunes 7.6

anyways, my friend just repeated did the hold power button and hard restore restart thing about 20 times and got 1.1.3 onto it using iBrickr on windows. then downgraded. then finally used iJailbreak.

for the person that recommend iNdependance... that app is iPhone only. my situation is with an iPod touch.

the problem now is that my iPod touch under 1.1.3 jailbreaked won't remember my house wifi password. so it gets annoying having to resetup my ipod wifi every time i use it. also, my ipod wont mount in itunes 7.6.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
i meant itunes 7.6. not 6. previous itunes versions are perfectly compatible though, especially since we're talking about 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

second off, i tried itunes 7.6

anyways, my friend just repeated did the hold power button and hard restore restart thing about 20 times and got 1.1.3 onto it using iBrickr on windows. then downgraded. then finally used iJailbreak.

for the person that recommend iNdependance... that app is iPhone only. my situation is with an iPod touch.

the problem now is that my iPod touch under 1.1.3 jailbreaked won't remember my house wifi password. so it gets annoying having to resetup my ipod wifi every time i use it. also, my ipod wont mount in itunes 7.6.

iNdependence is for iPhone but, I only suggested it to get your iPod touch OUT of Recovery Mode.

cjd82187

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
Mine was like this for a while, it was stuck in recovery under 1.1.3. I just did a restore (not an option+restore) and it was in official 1.1.3. Then I just downgraded it to 1.1.1 like described here and jailbreaked it again.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/worlds-easiest-113-to-111-downgrade/

Good luck!

I would recommend doing it this way as well. The link posted to the recovery mode method always works for me, and I have and the iPod in an unusable state a few times (it was stuck with the "connect to itunes" screen on it, iTunes couldnt fix it because I guess it was not totally in recovery mode. I had to do what the link above said, it it worked)

Bodrum50

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
itouch stuck in recovery mode, can not do anything error 1604

:mad:Problem: [/B]iPod touch stuck on recovery mode
itunes: tried 7.6, 7.5, 7.4.2
firmware: tried 1.1.3, 1.1.2, 1.1.1 (started with 1.1.1)
Computers: tried on intel imac core duo and friend's powerbook g4
Guides Used: Macrumors Jailbreak to 1.1.3 guide RupertGee-to 1.1.2
Errors Received while attempt Restore: 1604, 2001, unknown error 1

As you can see, I have put hours into trying to get the wobbly icons. I started with iTunes 6 and iPod touch 1.1.1 jailbreaked. I made the mistake of not using iJailbreak.com's wonderful simple app to jump to 1.1.3. Instead, I used macrumors tedious and sparsely detailed guide to upgrade. After initially coming upon Recovery Mode and getting stuck, I did some research and found out iTunes 6 does not work with the macrumors guide. Also I made the error of using Safari to download the 1.1.2 firmware, which my friend says will automatically unzip it (big nono apparently). So after that crazy mumbo jumbo, I did all the troubleshooting recommended in the million guides and threads out there... the restarting iTunes/computer, dropping to iTunes 5 and 4, holding the home and hold buttom to restart ipod, using a new account, checking USB ports, even using my friends powerbook. .... still stuck in recovery mode with a flip flop between error 2001 and 1604 (mostly 1604) after attempting to option-restore with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

Hi everyone I have the same problem as the above, I use an imac duo can anyone help please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.