Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuRui

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
I'm sorry this is going to be a rant...
I got my Macbook 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it....but seriously ...Transmission and Azareus (i hate it!) are the best torrent clients out there for Mac now? I saw some rumors about a uTorrent client but guess they're just rumors.

Transmission is seriously SLOW on downloading it's unbelievable I've never seen a client that slow.
Azareus just messes with my good will it even crashed Leopard the other day...it's slow as hell I was about to throw my windows laptop out the window out of frustration (obviously I wouldn't throw out my beauty mac :D )

Anyway! ...I just had to get it off my chest I'm sorry.
Also...hate towards microsoft for not releasing a decent MSN client for Mac.
(Adium is nice but no webcam also it seems to be timing out a lot lately ie. undelivered messages? aMSN sucks since it doesn't support chinese apparently...and the official MSN client doesn't support webcam).

Other then that..loving the Mac just wish that for THIS the 3rd party support would be better.

DuRui

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
If you hate it so much you can always install XP or Vista on your Macbook.

I love OS X...seriously I had to use Windows the other day ...it's...torture mate :)

Just azareus crashed my leopard which made me dislike it...to put it in a nice way ;)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I must be he only user to ever have Transmission work perfectly. I did bump up my number of global connections but the only significant thing that I do is have my ports forwarded.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I love OS X...seriously I had to use Windows the other day ...it's...torture mate :)

Just azareus crashed my leopard which made me dislike it...to put it in a nice way ;)

I thought you could boot up XP with Vmware and proceed to use your trusted torrent application?

I must be he only user to ever have Transmission work perfectly. I did bump up my number of global connections but the only significant thing that I do is have my ports forwarded.

Add my name to that very short list. ;) Transmission works wonderfully.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I thought you could boot up XP with Vmware and proceed to use your trusted torrent application?

Add my name to that very short list. ;) Transmission works wonderfully.

Tack my name onto that list as well. I have speed tested uTorrent and Transmission. I copied my slowest moving and fastest moving torrents that I was downloading last week (linux distros of course ;)) and set them up on my desktop running uTorrent, and my MacBook running transmission. The speed difference was so negligible that is what silly.

My only issue with Transmission is that time once in a blue moon when it has to verify data. If you pause all before the verify is done (I have done it twice in the past 2 weeks, kicked myself both times) it 'forgets' what it was downloaded thus far, and unless parts of it are completely done (and that doesn't even work sometimes) it restarts the whole thing. I have had to restart the same 6GB torrent twice now because of that issue.

PhazonElite

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Since Transmission .72, I've considered it the best torrent client for Macs. Transmission 1.02 has all the necessary features for a vast majority of users, a tiny footprint compared to Azureus, and in my experience, speeds virtually identical to µTorrent on Windows. OP, I'm not sure what the problem is, but I suspect it may not be precisely the fault of Transmission. I do know that 1.02 tends to max connections at 50 regardless of your preferences.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Since Transmission .72, I've considered it the best torrent client for Macs. Transmission 1.02 has all the necessary features for a vast majority of users, a tiny footprint compared to Azureus, and in my experience, speeds virtually identical to µTorrent on Windows. OP, I'm not sure what the problem is, but I suspect it may not be precisely the fault of Transmission. I do know that 1.02 tends to max connections at 50 regardless of your preferences.
More then likely fixed in the latest nightly.

http://transmission.xpjets.com/

Beating a dead horse...

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I do love Transmission--how "light" it is, as well as it's UI. However, it just isn't allowed on the trackers I use (never mind which ones!!). I use Azureus 2.5.4 (or whatever). It is "heavy" in terms of resource usage, but at least I get good speeds. I figure Transmission does me no good since the trackers I use won't even allow me to connect via Transmission. Stuck w/ Azureus for now.

DuRui

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Guess it's indeed a tracker problem...christ.
I got some torrents with great speed (legal...:p) an other just won't connect like you said.
I read on some forum that there were issues with transmission before (previous builds) and that because of that some trackers banned the program? What kind of problems could a program have for people to just ban it..interesting.

Anyway I'm sorry if I came of strong....I love my macbook and I love leopard (allthough waiting for the bug fixes just like anybody else) I'll live with it..just hope there will be a program which will allow me to just use chinese + webcam soon haha (...hard talking to ur girlfriend if u can only look or type :))

why is it that transmission is blocked by some trackers? in fact, what the hell is a tracker anyway?
As far I know tracker keep track of who is seeding...ie gives u the address of where to go to get bits and pieces of the file you're trying to download

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Transmission works 999% of the time for me, the other 0.1% I boot into Windows and use uTorrent (or rather - virtually boot into it ;))

I've wondered about a utorrent port, but the developers say it's not going to happen. :(

Niko

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
I use transmission but it is really slow. I tried port forwarding but I couldn't get it to work.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I use transmission but it is really slow. I tried port forwarding but I couldn't get it to work.

http://forum.transmissionbt.com/index.php

You should go to the Transmission forums and try to get help. There is nothing in the current versions of Transmission that would stop you from getting good speeds.

Like others here, I have found Transmission since 1.01 to be the best OS X BT client out there. Just deleted Azureus from my computer.

martyrk

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
In Lab
Absolutely love azureus, never had issues with it and not familiar with transmission, although never had to since azureus is working very well for me

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Absolutely love azureus, never had issues with it and not familiar with transmission, although never had to since azureus is working very well for me

Then by all means, keep using Azureus. My buddy uses it on Windows since that is what he has always used on Windows. In fact, he used it on OS X for a while, but it eventually got to the point that he just got fed up with how much memory it was using on his system, and how cluttered the UI is.

For me, I just need a downloader. I don't care if I can make a .torrent, I don't care if I can get a cool visualizer that show all the bits as they are being downloaded, i just want something that downloads the files. And Transmission works perfectly for that.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
For me, I just need a downloader. I don't care if I can make a .torrent, I don't care if I can get a cool visualizer that show all the bits as they are being downloaded, i just want something that downloads the files. And Transmission works perfectly for that.
Surprisingly enough Transmission does all of that. :rolleyes:

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Surprisingly enough Transmission does all of that. :rolleyes:

Well, yea... it does. When I first got my mac though, it didn't do any of those things, which was fine by me, which was mostly the point. I like the fact though that although it has all these features now, it is still a really lightweight client that doesn't get in your face.

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark
I've had mac for a few years now (lovin' it!), and torrent-wise I have always used Azureus on mac. I have used it pretty much always on mac, and can't remember it crashed ever. Used it on Tiger and now Leopard - no problems. For me Azureus is the way, it's fast and reliable. Don't care if it's Java. It works a treat!

I tried Transmission a month, or so, ago. Spent a whole day fiddling with it, but it was sloooooooow. Don't know why..

My 50 cents..

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I'm using Transmission 1.03 and find it to be great. Speeds are great (depending if there are plenty of seeds).
Ports is a good idea to start as already mentioned. Mine states the port is already open anyway.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I use Transmission and get varied speeds - whenever I do get maximum speeds (400kb/s) it has been connected for quite a while.

Right now, I'm downloading the latest Prison Break (pathetic how I was able to watch Season 1 and 2 on Five UK, but now Sky bought Season 3 they expect me to get Sky JUST to watch it?! No thanks..) and it is just going 16kb/s. Meh, over 25000 seeders.

transs.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.