Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murraymuscles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
How do you use your usb soundsticks at the same time as the line-out? I have a set of harmon kardon soundsticks hooked upto my powerbook, I also have a amp and speakers plugged in to the line-out (headphone socket). I cant find a way to play audio through them both at the same time as system preferances alows me to output audio through one or the other.

Another question, does anyone know if you can hook your soundsticks up to an amplifier which would then be connected to the mac's line-out? If so, this might solve the above problem.

I cant find any software or forum answers to help me solve this problem.

Can any one help me out?

Andy

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Sorry to say...

but i do not believe that it can be done.

You may be able to get a line out to interface with the Soundsticks, but you would have to open the interface that came with it, override the audio path, and then splice in a analog path. Basically, no, that will not work either.

The only thing i could think of is if the Soundsticks give you the option of "playthrough" to the line out, but i doubt that.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I spent about an hour a few months back talking it over with a couple of audiophile friends. As much as I do not like the phrase "it can't be done", ...... If someone has found a way, please post in here. You would make a lot of happy SoundSticks II users even happier.
X

murraymuscles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Thanks for all your replies. I have been doing some searching and found a little shareware app called "Detour" that lets you use the line out and soundsticks at the same time. The only snag is that it can only output two different sounds to two outputs . e.g. system sound to line out and itunes music to the soundsticks. It does not alow you to divert all sounds to each audio output. It is a partial but not full solution to this problem.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20128

murraymuscles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
I got a reply from the people who make detour:

"No, this isn't currently possible with Detour. In OS X 10.4, using the
Audio MIDI Device application, you can create what's called n "Aggregate
Device". This virtual audio device can consist of two or more output
devices, masquerading as one. Detour can then send audio to these
Aggregate Devices"

The confusion continues!

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
It depends on the applications.

I do this in XP with my Soundsticks. It's dumb-luck really - but there are apps where I can assign my various USB audio devices as I please.

For example - in iChat, or in music production programs - I can assign the output to my Soundsticks, my monitor headphones or my Logitech USB Headset.

So, it's possible - it just isn't a feature supported by the OS.

joerick

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2003
Cracked it!

I know this is a bit of an old thread to be digging up, but found myself wanting to do this myself and found this before finding the solution myself!

You'll need SoundFlower and AU Lab, which is available in Apple's Developer Tools (for Leopard at least).

In Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities) create an aggregate device with the devices "Built-In Audio", "SoundSticks" and "SoundFlower". Change the default output to SoundFlower.

Open up AU Lab, and add output channels for "Stream 1" and "Stream 2" (not for SoundFlower), and add the SoundFlower input channel.

You should be set! Volume can be controlled in AU Lab's faders.

Not really what I'm gonna use this for now though! :rolleyes:

Plumbstone

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
You don't need soundflower, you just need to set up an aggregate device in your Audio/MIDI setup....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.