Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

it5five

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 31, 2006
New York
When I had signed into my university e-mail I saw a link to this thing.

1427384586_ee59a568f2.jpg

1427400224_207dfa54b5.jpg

I thought it was just some dumb new service, until I saw they asked if I had a Gmail account. Weird?

What could Google be doing that involves 3D modeling and online gaming, if this is Google related at all.

EDIT: Just realize those are probably too small for people to see. Here are larger pictures:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1028/1427384586_fbcc5e4ad2_o.png
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1366/1427400224_956c624b70_o.png

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If it is then it's silly. I think Google needs to focus on what they have and make them great. I believe if they try to be everything they will find themselves in the same class as AOL. It is far better to be great at a few things then so-so at everything.

capella

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
It flies

Not sure why google are piloting MW, not aware of their having those rights. MW is looking to raise working capital, google are one of several interested parties. MW will be a significant leap forward in interactivity, it is a gateway to a host of revenue generating services with a scale of application across multitudinous facets of use everyday use. I work in a small 'think tank' trailing applications for MW, we have generated literally dozens of fee generating applications, some entirely novel to MW others enhanced services for existing applications. The current MW demo platforms are stunning in graphics, speed, interactivity, user modeling, and potential.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
If it is then it's silly. I think Google needs to focus on what they have and make them great. I believe if they try to be everything they will find themselves in the same class as AOL. It is far better to be great at a few things then so-so at everything.

Google are a big money hungry advertising company at heart. Capella mentioned revenue generating services (in the middle of some top class marketing buzz words), I think that this is what Google will be interested in.

maple626

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
google's core product is search, unlike yahoo's "I'm all over the place" ie movies. OMG etc. Most of Google's income is via adsense/adwords where barely anyone uesed Yahoo's YPN

my 2 cents

Ashworth University

srt42b

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Google took over Sketchup which is a 3d modeling program, as well as Google Earth. At school we did some research and marketing for Yahoo that was similar but who knows if anything would ever come to be of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.