Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Do I need to convert both iPod video and Apple Tv movies separatedly?

For Apple tv I use the pre-set "Apple Tv" and iPod I use the ipod preset. Could I get away with just converting one or should I keep doing both?

I don't watch to many movies on my ipod because I have tv show dvd's for my ipod mainly. I kind of want them for my ipod just in case. I'm not sure what to do here?

Should I just keep converting two versions of the same movie placed into two seperate folders or stick to one version?

What's your suggestions on this?

I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm new to the forums. Thanks everyone.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I assume you are using Handbrake.

I have seen this asked before and it was suggested to use the iPod Hi-Rez settings.

Try one in that format then play it on both devices ... if you are satisfied with the results then you have the solution.

Come back and update us with the results.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
What generation iPod are you using? Ie. is it one of the new models or the 1st iPod with Video (5th Generation)?

This is important because the current generation of iPods and the iPhone accept much better quality encodes than the 5th generation iPod. You can get DVD quality playback on them and the Apple TV with one file. I'll walk you through the difference if you have one of them.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Wow didn't know. I am using the 5th Generation 80 gig Ipod.

So far I have converted my videos at the Apple Tv preset with 2500 bit rate. It loads right into the ipod.

I want to get max viewing when I buy the Apple tv here soon. Sorry to go on like that. Please teach me sir. Thank you.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Wow didn't know. I am using the 5th Generation 80 gig Ipod.

So far I have converted my videos at the Apple Tv preset with 2500 bit rate. It loads right into the ipod.

I want to get max viewing when I buy the Apple tv here soon. Sorry to go on like that. Please teach me sir. Thank you.

I just did the same thing. Took a movie I convereted using the Apple TV format and loaded it on my 80 G iPod Video - which I believe to be a Gen 5 .... or could it be a Gen 5.5?

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
So I guess nobody has an answer for me?

I don't know what Hi Rez is? I'm using Cucusoft for my conversions.

They do have a high resolution setting but it's for ipod video. It looks great on the ipod but not so hot when you plug it into the tv directly.

Only the :apple:Tv preset will make it look the same on the ipod and better on the output to the tv. So logic tells me to use the :apple:TV setting.

I want to know what everyone else is doing?

I want to convert my dvd's but not yet.:)

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what Hi Rez is? I'm using Cucusoft for my conversions.

I use 'Handbrake' and it has 2 iPod settings ....

iPod & iPod Hi-Rez

But to be honest I took a movie converted using the AppleTV preset and it looked fine on the iPod.

Best bet, take on movie and convert it to AppleTV , watch it via AppleTV and on your iPod. If it plays well in both places, you may have your answer.

From the time you first posted this question, you could ripped one DVD in 3 formats! :D

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I use 'Handbrake' and it has 2 iPod settings ....

iPod & iPod Hi-Rez

But to be honest I took a movie converted using the AppleTV preset and it looked fine on the iPod.

Best bet, take on movie and convert it to AppleTV , watch it via AppleTV and on your iPod. If it plays well in both places, you may have your answer.

From the time you first posted this question, you could ripped one DVD in 3 formats! :D

LoL, I know. I rather rip them one time only. I might have blown it if I did my own thing prior to confirmation from you. :)

I did some visual comparisons on the big screen using Simpsons Movie. The :apple:Tv preset is my best option right now.

I would use hand brake but I don't have :apple:computer yet. My Dad has a Mac Mini but I live 1 hour away from him. So I have to use this one here:

Source: http://www.cucusoft.com/dvd-to-ipod.asp

It has :apple:tv preset option.

billselak

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Use TV preset

First off, I'd recommend using Handbrake. Nearly everyone uses it, and it has awesome presets for iPods and TV.
http://handbrake.fr/?article=download

Next, I'd rip it in Handbrake using the TV preset. The presets basically determine quality vs. file size. You're gonna want higher quality (and bigger files) for your TV. If you have enough room on your 80GB iPod, the TV files should play fine on it (the quality is just way better than you need).

If you don't have enough room on your iPod, then you'd need to rip each movie twice. I just got an TV, and am re-ripping my favorites so the quality will be better for my TV. Hope that helps.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
First off, I'd recommend using Handbrake. Nearly everyone uses it, and it has awesome presets for iPods and TV.

Next, I'd rip it in Handbrake using the TV preset. The presets basically determine quality vs. file size. You're gonna want higher quality (and bigger files) for your TV. If you have enough room on your 80GB iPod, the TV files should play fine on it (the quality is just way better than you need).

If you don't have enough room on your iPod, then you'd need to rip each movie twice. I just got an TV, and am re-ripping my favorites so the quality will be better for my TV. Hope that helps.
This isn't true. An unmodified AppleTV preset uses advanced x264 options that are not compatible with iPods/iPhone (ex. b-frames).

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Awesome information from both of you. I'm not all that concerned with my iPod as I am with :apple:tv.

I will take your advice and use Hand brake. Only problem is that this will have to wait until I can buy a :apple: computer.

I will apply this knowledge. Thanks Gentleman.:)

-Alex.

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
I will take your advice and use Hand brake. Only problem is that this will have to wait until I can buy a :apple: computer.

-Alex.

I thought so myself, but just the other day I went to handbrake.fr and found they have a fully functional version of Handbrake for Windows PCs. Used it a little bit, and it seemed to work fine.

Mark

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
UPDATE:

I said earlier I was ripping in Apple TV format and loading on the iPod.

That was PARTIALLY true.

It seems as those *some* movies are not loading on the iPod Video & iPhone.

Looks like multiple rips for multiple devices -OR- rip in a lower format and play those files on the Apple TV.

{ Still experimenting - will update as needed }

bomadian

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
so the ipod's cannot play the apple tv setting? thats a pain and a waste of storage space if you have to do two versions. Does anyone know what the ipod high quality setting is like when blown up on a tv?

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Awesome information from both of you. I'm not all that concerned with my iPod as I am with :apple:tv.

-Alex.

I don't understand. Do you not have a computer or do you not have an apple computer? Because handbrake is available for windows.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I am making one version for the appletv AND the iPhone. While the appletv preset looks amazing, it is a waste of space. If I need that high of a quality, I will just put the DVD in.

The iPhone cannot do larger than 640 x --- and 1.5mbps. So I have those at their highest. It looks AMAZING on the phone and pretty damn good on my 42" 720p plasma.

I recomend 1 file for both devices. It is the iPod HiRes in handbrake with the second pass turned on.

Having 2 files takes up more space, takes longer to encode, and is messy in iTunes. Having 1 file will make the appletv a little lower in quality but justifies the result.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Thanks Mark for the post. I have a computer and it works fine. I was under the impression that I needed a :apple:cpu because I didn't know Handbrake was on windows?

I thought it was purely :apple: only program. I tried the link but the install keeps failing. I will keep trying.

Tomorrow I'll let you all know what's going on. So far using Cucusoft I have used the ipod video high rez equivalent settings and the results are awesome.

For DVD movies I am using the :apple:tv preset option at 2500 bit rate. The results look like a real dvd on my 65 inch Mitsubishi HDTV. I have nothing bad to say about it.

I will check out hand brake and get that going soon. Thank you everyone. I'm learning alot from these forums. You guys are awesome help. :)

-Alex.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I am making one version for the appletv AND the iPhone. While the appletv preset looks amazing, it is a waste of space. If I need that high of a quality, I will just put the DVD in.

The iPhone cannot do larger than 640 x --- and 1.5mbps. So I have those at their highest. It looks AMAZING on the phone and pretty damn good on my 42" 720p plasma.

I recomend 1 file for both devices. It is the iPod HiRes in handbrake with the second pass turned on.

Having 2 files takes up more space, takes longer to encode, and is messy in iTunes. Having 1 file will make the appletv a little lower in quality but justifies the result.
This is not true...the iPhone can handle much higher bitrates and resolution. I'm currently encoding using CRF=64 and anamorphic and am able to play the files on my iPhone. Typical bitrates reported by iTunes are 2000-2500. This results in larger files than the iPhone preset, but it does allow me to encode 1 high quality file that works on the AppleTV and my iPhone (and looks great using the video out cable I purchased).

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
FACT: AppleTV preset in Handbrake will not play on an iPod or iPhone. Using Handbrake, the best quality file that will play on both devices is the iPod High-Rez preset.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
These posts have been very helpful, thanks everyone. I have been ripping my movies for a while at the appletv preset (have about 140 ripped). I would love to get one file as everyone else would but don't want to sacrifice tv picture quality (unless it is minor).

I can deal with the reduced bitrate. If it can handle 2000 as you say I don't think it would make much difference from the 2500.

My biggest concern is the resolution, the iphone setting is 640 x X, I assume the apple tv setting is 720 x X, do people think it will make a material difference on a tv? I tried ripping bourne supremacy at the iphone setting and watched it on my 60" 720p, it was hard to tell if there was a significant difference, and to be honest if I sat back watching it I probably wouldn't notice it. But just curious what others think?

Thanks,
Peter

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Sorry that this is being bumped but I have Hand brake now. I had to reformat my entire computer and then re-download everything else after.

I can now run the PC Hand brake. Problem is I don't know where to start. I am trying disc one of American Dad which is my own purchased dvd I personally own.

I am going through these forums now for everything hand brake related. Any suggestions or short cuts please post them. Thank you.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.