Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
So,

my university told me that we use POP3 mail, and that setting up on my iPhone and Macbook should be a piece of cake. On my macbook, the server of my email (mail.stfrancis.edu) works fine, and imports mail. However, the IT guy said that the outgoing server is the SAME thing. Mail seems to want a SMTP prefix for some reason. The situation is, I can't get it to connect with the outgoing server. What am I doing wrong? The IT guy says it is over his head, and he can longer help.

Help!

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
most outgoing mail servers (and all the ones i have ever seen) have an smtp.xxx.xxx as the outgoing mail server.

I would try smtp.stfrancis.edu first and if that does not work then try a few others. Like: smtp.mail.stfrancis.edu or mail.stfrancis.edu.

Another problem might be your internet provider. I have had problems a few time with my internet provider blocking mail that is going out via a different smtp server. To test this just figure out the outgoing mail server for your provider and put it in as the outgoing server.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
most outgoing mail servers (and all the ones i have ever seen) have an smtp.xxx.xxx as the outgoing mail server.

I would try smtp.stfrancis.edu first and if that does not work then try a few others. Like: smtp.mail.stfrancis.edu or mail.stfrancis.edu.

Another problem might be your internet provider. I have had problems a few time with my internet provider blocking mail that is going out via a different smtp server. To test this just figure out the outgoing mail server for your provider and put it in as the outgoing server.

Ok, here's what happened. using th SMTP prefixes yielded no results. However, using mail.stfrancis.edu as my outgoing server, the error message "+OK Groupwise POP3 Server Ready".

We use Novell Groupwise at school...does this have anything to do with it?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Ok, here's what happened. using th SMTP prefixes yielded no results. However, using mail.stfrancis.edu as my outgoing server, the error message "+OK Groupwise POP3 Server Ready".

We use Novell Groupwise at school...does this have anything to do with it?

Do you have to use a user login name and password??

I know when i get my school mail i need to authenticate to the server.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Do you have to use a user login name and password??

I know when i get my school mail i need to authenticate to the server.

Yes, but even using that yields no results. I use Authenticate using password. Then, I use my username and password that the email uses.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Yes, but even using that yields no results. I use Authenticate using password. Then, I use my username and password that the email uses.

Hum, well the other thing you can try is using your internet providers outgoig mail server.

Who is your internet provider?? Usually you can find the info on there site as most providers also have a free e-mail account that goes with the service. I would try that next and if it works don't bother messing with it anymore.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Did you check if it needs a secure connection or a non-standard port? The IT guy would know this.

It also may matter where you are. At my university you can only send mail using the university mail server if you are on the campus network. If that is the case you can always use another mail server like gmail or your ISPs.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hum, well the other thing you can try is using your internet providers outgoig mail server.

Who is your internet provider?? Usually you can find the info on there site as most providers also have a free e-mail account that goes with the service. I would try that next and if it works don't bother messing with it anymore.

I have AT&T Broadband. What is their server?

Did you check if it needs a secure connection or a non-standard port? The IT guy would know this.

It also may matter where you are. At my university you can only send mail using the university mail server if you are on the campus network. If that is the case you can always use another mail server like gmail or your ISPs.

I use my university's email at home and at school, so I think that might rule out that possibility.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Did you email the webmaster@ your school? Ask about SMTP server and outgoing mail settings. The settings will work for macs and pcs, so if they say they don't know macs, tell them to give you the settings for outlook.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Did you email the webmaster@ your school? Ask about SMTP server and outgoing mail settings. The settings will work for macs and pcs, so if they say they don't know macs, tell them to give you the settings for outlook.

Yes, I emailed the webmaster/IT guy at school. He told me both the outgoing server and incoming server are both mail.stfrancis.edu

So, I'm not sure what else I can do. I go to a small, private school..I'm not sure we could get an IT guy who knows what he's doing.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
thanks- I guess this means that i can't send mail over edge then?

so does the outgoing mail server work if you try to set it up in Apple mail on a computer??

I am just curious, cause if it does then there is something that is happening (or not happening as the case may be) in the iPhone mail program that is not in the desktop version.

If you can set it up on the desktop but not the iPhone i would head over to the apple discussion boards and see if they can help.

wassupdude423

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Hey Jschultz,

Did you or anyone else ever figure out this problem? I am in the same situation: I go to a small private school, the incoming and outgoing servers are the same (mail.etbu.edu), I am unable to connect/send emails from the outgoing server (But I can receive emails), and the IT people at my school haven't helped at all either.

Everything worked fine for a few weeks, but then all of a sudden it stopped working. I'd greatly appreciate any relevant ideas/solutions. Thanks.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Holy wow, I almost forgot about this.

Nope, I never figured it out. I was hoping some software updates from Apple would eventually help, but no. I was always able to receive email from the school, but that was it. I eventually gave up and just made the direct mailbox URL an icon on my homescreen. PITA, but it worked. Good luck!

javagrl

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Possible solution to outgoing school smtp server problem

Hi I know this is so late, but I had the same problem with the outgoing smtp server for my school. I'm not an expert, but somebody mentioned using the settings for outlook express. This worked for me, and since i definitely don't want to talk to the IT department at my school I found this link that my school uses to set up outlook express. You might be able to use the same settings for your school email (just fill in your school name where it says ramapo).

https://its.ramapo.edu/downloads/OutlookSettings.pdf

thanks for all the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.