Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
How can you install Windows XP on a Mac BESIDES Virtual PC, Boot Camp, Parallels, and all that crap? THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!

Is it possible if I made my PPC mac "think" it's intel based processor? THEN will it work?

You're disagreeing with yourself.

What you're describing is not only possible, but it exists. It's called emulation. VirtualPC was one of the big windows emulators for PPC back in the day. And it worked. It ran MS Windows on your PPC Mac. There was one huge catch though - it was slow as molasses. Unless you're only doing the absolutely least demanding tasks, MS Windows emulation is too slow to be useful.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Everyone else is totally wrong.

What you're describing is not only possible, but it exists. It's called emulation. VirtualPC was one of the big windows emulators for PPC back in the day. And it worked. It ran MS Windows on your PPC Mac. There was one huge catch though - it was slow as molasses. Unless you're only doing the absolutely least demanding tasks, MS Windows emulation is too slow to be useful.

Read the original post ;)

I've seen many people hack OS X on a PC. How can you install Windows XP on a Mac BESIDES Virtual PC, Boot Camp, Parallels, and all that crap? THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
There is Q. Best of all it's open source!

But this is still emulation though. There is NO way to get windows to run natively on a PPC Mac.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Read the original post ;)

Argh, I'm running on a 400 MHZ G4 sawtooth running OS 10.3.9 panther in 1024 x 768 over here, it's so frustrating! Things are super slow to load and I wind up missing a bunch of stuff, and then editing takes forever and a day so I can't just make a quick edit before people read my comment. Argh, I hadn't realized how slow this old guy was until I came back to him after using my AlBook 1 ghz with leopard. Sheesh! :(

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Yeah, but I saw someone hack PANTHER on a PC, and of corse thats 100% PPC Based. It's just dumb that XP is full of x86 support crap. I totally forgut that PPC doesn't support x86.

yeah there's was to do this with something like pearPC

which is an EMULATION application, it simulates PPC architecture and because it's jumping through 8 billion hoops just to run the os, the system runs horribly.

there are ways to "trick" your PPC into thinking it's an x86 processor but it wouldn't run very well

what is on XP that is so necessary anyway?

what everyone in this thread is also overlooking is that your mac boots from an entirely different firmware than a pc.
your powermac uses 'open firmware' and newer intel computers use EFI. The issue with this is actually if you take a brand new mac pro and pop a windows disk in and try and install JUST windows, you're going to run into some problems.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
there are ways to "trick" your PPC into thinking it's an x86 processor but it wouldn't run very well

No, there aren't ways to do that. a PowerPC processor WILL NOT run x86 code without emulation. There's no way to trick it. There's no way to run XP natively. Why this thread needs to continue on when the answer is so very clear and not really up for debate is beyond me.....

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Some of you people just don't get it do you? This sort of thing (processor swapping an PPC for an X86??? Windows Native on a PPC???) is just wrong, beside the semantics of it, it just isn't possible.
I know FelixMC you're only offering a simple idea, but it really just makes no sense. It's like using diesel in a gas engine, you can't just change one thing, the entire hardware has to be different.

I'm 99% sure that FelixMC was being sarcastic.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Yeah, but I saw someone hack PANTHER on a PC, and of corse thats 100% PPC Based.

Nope - the first gen x86 Macs shipped with an Intel version of Panther - which is what you've seen 'hacked' onto PCs (or possibly, as another poster suggested, PearPC which was a PPC emulator for x86 and glacially slow....)

Either way, if you want to run XP on Mac without using VPC or the like, you will need an Intel-based Mac. Period.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Nope - the first gen x86 Macs shipped with an Intel version of Panther - which is what you've seen 'hacked' onto PCs (or possibly, as another poster suggested, PearPC which was a PPC emulator for x86 and glacially slow....)

The first Intel Macs were Tiger. IIRC, Tiger came out a couple months before the WWDC when the switch was announced

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I'm a 15 year old as well, and hell you're right!! :D

AMEN!!!:apple::apple::apple:

This guy's a tad loony, isn't he?

Yep.

He is 15, what did you expect !!

Some 15 year olds think money grows on trees, just ask their parents!! :D

I may be 15, but I'm a Mac Genius. I've used a Mac since I was three (Power Macintosh 5200/75 LC in '95), but I also claim that I don't know everything about Macintosh Computers, and all my life, I never even think or hesitate about money growing on trees. Like the Terminator said: "ON AUGUST 4, 1997, SKYNET WAS LEARNING AT A GEOMETRIC RATE", That's how I want to learn when it comes to Macs........(and cars).

So your Mac is a piece of crap then? Macs are PCs. PC stands for Personal Computer. Last time I checked, a Mac is a personal computer.

Anyways, it is absolutely in no way possible, not with any amount of technical knowledge, not with any amount of money, not with any amount of anything to get Windows XP running on a PPC Mac outside of Virtual Machine. It just is not, in any way, possible. 2 completely different, incompatible processor architectures. You can beg and plead all you want on internet forums, it is just not going to happen. Ever.

Um, no, it's not dumb that "XP is full of x86 support crap." x86 is the most common type of processor in PCs and has been for ages, it only makes sense Microsoft would write Windows to run on x86. Apple are the idiots for not adopting x86 sooner.

1. I know macs are PC's you loon. I meant "Anti-Macs".
2. Ever heard of the slogan "Think Different"? Which is why Apple didn't have x86
3. Anything is possible as long as you put your mind into it.

Have you tried waving your Sword of Magic at it?

....NO

Well looks like no hope folks. GOODBYE UNFAITHFUL!!!:mad:

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007

Either way, if you want to run XP on Mac without using VPC or the like, you will need an Intel-based Mac. Period.

No they did not. Panther is 100% PPC. They came with Tiger.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Hey guys is there anyway I can get my Nintendo 64 to "think" it's an XBox 360 so I can play Halo 3? Thanks.

Accylad

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
Accrington
My Ibook G4 lol;);)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 161

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
No, there aren't ways to do that. a PowerPC processor WILL NOT run x86 code without emulation. There's no way to trick it. There's no way to run XP natively. Why this thread needs to continue on when the answer is so very clear and not really up for debate is beyond me.....

for the record emulation is what i was talking about, my wording was just terrible, my apologies

i bet we can get this kid to drop the money on a nice x86 and try and shove it in there if we keep this thread going tho

FelixMC

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
If you THINK it's possible why spend your time on here talking
about it,when you should be doing it and proving people wrong
Im sorry but i for one dont think it's possible without a intel mac
It is possible.. If he had access to the Windows XP source code and some extensive programming skills, he could reprogram windows XP to work with the PPC processor..:p
Of course, it might not be probable, but if he sets his mind to it, it's possible;)

Neil321

macrumors 68040
It is possible.. If he had access to the Windows XP source code and some extensive programming skills, he could reprogram windows XP to work with the PPC processor..:p
Of course, it might not be probable, but if he sets his mind to it, it's possible;)

ok maybe i worded it wrong but what are the chances of this,the
source code i mean without that it's impossible

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I may be 15, but I'm a Mac Genius. I've used a Mac since I was three (Power Macintosh 5200/75 LC in '95), but I also claim that I don't know everything about Macintosh Computers, and all my life, I never even think or hesitate about money growing on trees. Like the Terminator said: "ON AUGUST 4, 1997, SKYNET WAS LEARNING AT A GEOMETRIC RATE", That's how I want to learn when it comes to Macs........(and cars).
You claim to be a Mac genius, yet you don't seem to be willing to accept the fact that this is technically impossible and never will be possible.

1. I know macs are PC's you loon. I meant "Anti-Macs".
2. Ever heard of the slogan "Think Different"? Which is why Apple didn't have x86
3. Anything is possible as long as you put your mind into it.

1. HAHAHA. I'm the loon?
2. Yes, I've heard of the slogan, and thinking different when it came to the CPU architecture was perhaps the biggest mistake Apple made. Just because you can "think different" doesn't mean you should.
3. No, not anything is possible. It is not possible to run Windows on a PPC Mac without emulation. It never has been possible, it never will be possible. Put your mind to it all you want, it is just not possible. Unless you got the XP source code. And since that's also impossible, then running Windows on a PPC Mac is impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.