Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
My research about which display to buy for my Mac Pro has left me more confused. What would be the best all around LCD display (22"-24") for 3D modeling, Photoshop, DVD movies and gaming without breaking the bank?
Is there one display that would do all of these reasonably well, or will I have to make a major compromise, because I can't afford to buy more than one to fulfill specific requirements? At the very least, which brands/displays should I avoid like altogether?

Thanks

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
How much are you willing to spend? The Dell 2407WFP is a good monitor and frequently on sale for $500-$600.
If you can ramp up your spending a bit I would check out the NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
How much are you willing to spend? The Dell 2407WFP is a good monitor and frequently on sale for $500-$600.
If you can ramp up your spending a bit I would check out the NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi

Thanks for the reply. $500-$600 is about the range I'm looking at, but I'll look into the NEC nonetheless.

Thanks again.

Jecko024

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
sort of off topic, but not really --- are the Apple displays worth the money, because I keep seeing more and more people using dell monitors rather than the apple ones........

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
sort of off topic, but not really --- are the Apple displays worth the money, because I keep seeing more and more people using dell monitors rather than the apple ones........

Well that's what I wondered because they are very pretty but really expensive and you hear of dead pixel issues so I'd like people's best monitor options for 3D etc as per the OP too and in that price range. I'd prefer a widescreen though, and the PC versions I've seen have all been very square.

suprajoe

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I just got an 22" Acer AL2216W from NewEgg so I could have a second screen for my MacBook Pro and it is awesome. Cost me $239.99 and free shipping. Best "bang for buck" I found.

mojopixel

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2007
Somewhere in Time
Hi, I'm also looking for a good 24" monitor. Here's what I've found so far.....

Eizo S2431W-GY

Samsung SM-245B

Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP - this is a 20" but uses a S-IPS panel

Samsung SM-245B

Samsung SM-245T

whadya think? :)

Jecko024

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
I actually use a 22" samsung I got from Dell, and love it, its the SyncMaster 226BW

bijou

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Yes, I think the Mac displays are worth the money. They hold their value well and will serve your purpose for a long time to come.

Unfortunately my budget wouldn't allow that expense so went with a Dell 2407 wfp-HC, and haven't regretted it at all. My work comprises graphics and photo work, as well as video editing.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
We use HP LP2465's at work and like them. They are bright, have good color, and handle motion well. I believe they can be found in your price range.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
If you're including Dell in your laundry list, I would suggest waiting until they release the 2408. It it or will be leagues better than its predecessor. I have the 2407 and recently bought the 3008. In addition to the looks of it, the build quality is so much better. 2707/3008 both have laser cut metallic bezel and the stand is made of glass which gives it a very professional look and industrial feel.

The ACDs are nice but construction wise, they're don't feel intact for some reason. The Dell on the other hand feels heavy and rock solid like the Mac Pro. It's almost 40lbs (the 3008WFP).

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Thanks for the replies, those sound like some good suggestions. I personally can't justify the price of the ACD, especially the 20", $700 is a lot for that size. I thought I read here that the ACD was not TFT, but the Apple website says it is. If someone here can tell me why the ACD is worth the money when I can get so much more real estate for $300 less, maybe I'll give in and buy one. So, go on, sell me on the ACD!

dcnblues

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
If you're including Dell in your laundry list, I would suggest waiting until they release the 2408. It it or will be leagues better than its predecessor. I have the 2407 and recently bought the 3008. In addition to the looks of it, the build quality is so much better. 2707/3008 both have laser cut metallic bezel and the stand is made of glass which gives it a very professional look and industrial feel.

The ACDs are nice but construction wise, they're don't feel intact for some reason. The Dell on the other hand feels heavy and rock solid like the Mac Pro. It's almost 40lbs (the 3008WFP).

I've been researching this for a while, and while I want a 30," I think I'll wait for the next gen ACD, and that could be a while. To hold me over, and to make a second side monitor once I get the big one, I've pretty much decided on the 2408. The problem is that my new Mac Pro is scheduled for delivery on 2/26, and Dell pulled the damm thing. They just released a handfull of new 22" screens, but none of them are full 1080 screen resolution.

I sure hope the 2408 comes out in the next three weeks...:(

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006

The Apple 23" is actually a great monitor for the money.

Dell's make good panel and you are seeing people use the 24" as it has a high gamut for less money than the apple. The apple uses a slight better panel in terms of consistency.

The apple's gamut is more targeted towards SWOP use.

dex blaze

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
30" cinema display vs. nec lcd2690wuxi2

which one would go better with mac pro for professional color management (retouching and design)?

iVirusYx

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
I have almost the same question. I just bought an new MacPro because my old PC is broken. Now I am looking for a Display, i almost bought a 24" cinema display, but then i saw the new iMac and asked myself if they will release a 27" cinema display with isight etc?

What do you believe? Or do you know a cheaper alternativ?

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
You can get a beautiful Apple HD Cinema display for the price of Dell if you are patient and nimble. I am in love with Apple Cinema displays, they're just so sleek and beautiful... I have a Dell monitor here at work 1920x1200 but it's just OK.

At home I have a 30" Apple HD display and a 23" Apple HD Display... I paid $570 for the 30" and $350 for the 23"- craigslist baby. No dead pixels on either, both monitors are in excellent physical condition and perfect working order... I just had to stalk craigslist for a few weeks until I saw exactly what I wanted for a great price, then I pounced on them. :)

fortemd

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Waiting for new cinema displays

I'm currently using the Dell 24, but like certain other things, its never big enough and I'm not happy with the contrast ratio or heat output. Don't get me wrong, it's been a solid performer with Photoshop, Premiere, etc. Its just time to move on.

I too am waiting for a new cinema display for my new Mac Pro. I'll be disappointed if we don't see a new LED LCD 27" or 30" cinema display for the holiday season. I expect to pay out-of-the-nose for it though.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I'll be disappointed if we don't see a new LED LCD 27" or 30" cinema display for the holiday season. I expect to pay out-of-the-nose for it though.

Prepare to be disappointed. I don't expect to hear anything until AAPL's next event (i.e. macworld, CES next year). There's no reason to release a brand new cinema display without a little fanfare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.