Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mistasinasta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
So, I'm on a new MacBook Pro at work - came with OS X.4 and an upgrade install disc to Leopard...

Safari 3 will NOT save any of my passwords. I continually choose "yes" every time I visit the sites that I want to use this feature for (i.e. project management panel at work), but no luck. Well, not EXACTLY true, on a (very) RARE occasion - Safari will save a username, but still NOT the accompanying password.

I've found 2 threads on this same issue on Apple's Support Knowledgebase, there's still no solution from them on this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6430306

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6409037

Is anyone else out there having this issue? If so, I'm urging you to post on the thread so Apple will resolve this. I'm in the web design biz, so I am frequenty visiting sites that require login credentials. I'd switch to another browser, but, well - no I won't. I love Safari too much. Hey Apple - can I get a fix ova' here???

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Open Keychain Access. Click on the Internet category (bottom left pane), then open a few keychain items by double-clicking, then click on 'Show Password'. Do you see the password? Try a few and make sure that you're able to view your passwords.

Have you got .Mac Keychain sync'ing turned on?

mistasinasta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Didn't work :(

Open Keychain Access. Click on the Internet category (bottom left pane), then open a few keychain items by double-clicking, then click on 'Show Password'. Do you see the password? Try a few and make sure that you're able to view your passwords.

Have you got .Mac Keychain sync'ing turned on?

After entering my "login" Keychain password, yes, the passwords are there, but they still don't appear in the corresponding forms online. This is quite baffling.

I don't use .Mac so Keychain syncing out of the question.

Any other suggestions?

erikpmort

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
is it possible that some sites just will not allow you to store passwords? It seems this way for some more secure websites... it is a bother though.

judithdl

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
I've read everything you've said and other sites have told me to do, and safari refuses to save my passwords. This is getting frustrating because I would love to use safari, but not if won't save my passwords.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
is it possible that some sites just will not allow you to store passwords? It seems this way for some more secure websites... it is a bother though.

Yes, but in those cases, the web page doesn't bring up a "save password" button, does it?

Reset Safari.... has a "Remove saved names and passwords" option. Was that invoked before this problem came up, or is the problem repeating itself multiple time from the same page with no Reset in between?

You could try the safari.plist file shuffle routine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.