Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I went to the Apple store in SF today and they had about 6 Airs out. I did notice they seemed pretty snappy. I looked at the profiler and they are all the 1.8 ssd model. It seemed snappy at opening and closing programs due to the SSD drive but for the extra 1300 no thanks. It was only formated to 53gb. I am sure apple made all the displays the faster model to help sales.

They have not done anything dishonest as the tags next to the demo list both models and the sales person will tell you it is the faster model.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
yea not really sure what the sneaky part is

as a biz u don't really want to show off your slowest model.. you always want to put up the best

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, nothing new there. I always marvelled at how fast the Mac Pros were at the Apple Store, then looked at the spec tag... yikes!

Given that hard drive replacement isn't HUGELY daunting, I expect we'll see more and more third party solutions as time goes.

And I wonder how long it'll be before someone outfits a MacBook Pro with an SSD drive. (Or, in the space of a single 2.5" drive enclosure, fit in both an SSD card for OS and application storage, and a 1.8" drive for data...)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
You would think they would put a couple of the slower ones out for comparison.

jblodgett

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2005
Sort of like when you go to the car dealership - and all the cars with no bells and no whistles are sitting on the showroom floor.

:rolleyes:

Jon Morgan

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
I just got back to my desk from a walk down to the Stockton Street store and despite being incredibly annoyed that they told me they did have a few in stock but they sold very quickly, I can confirm that at least one of the demo models is a 1.6 - I know because I was using it, and very zippy it was too.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
The boston cambridge store has two of the 1.6ghz versions and only one of the 1.8ghz's on display so I don't think they're being very sneaky.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Obviously it is going to vary from store to store. But I do not see it sneaky to put the fastest ones on display. Maybe they knew not a lot of people would buy the SSD option and decided to put them on display thus leaving more of the 1.6GHz models available.

Aside from that, it just seems like good marketing to me. Like jblodgett said, you don't put the low end stuff out when you're looking to sell a product. It's not as if the Apple store is advertising the the display SSD 1.8GHz models as the 1.6GHz models.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Maybe they should have it next to a 12" PowerBook so it seems really fast. ;)

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I went to the Apple store in SF today and they had about 6 Airs out. I did notice they seemed pretty snappy. I looked at the profiler and they are all the 1.8 ssd model. It seemed snappy at opening and closing programs due to the SSD drive but for the extra 1300 no thanks. It was only formated to 53gb. I am sure apple made all the displays the faster model to help sales.

They have not done anything dishonest as the tags next to the demo list both models and the sales person will tell you it is the faster model.

Thats not sneaky, what would be sneaky is if they put out the 1.8/SSD and claimed it was the 1.6/HDD .. That would be sneaky.

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hm, it's not too sneaky. It's not as bad as what they do to the poor Mac mini. Next time you go to an Apple store, try to find it. ;)

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I am very, very sneaky, sir...

adam_sandler1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.