Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Given the unconventional USB port on the MBA and the fact that at least one USB EVDO modem has been reported not to fit (by gizmodo). I thought it might be nice to start a thread for modems that do work.

If you have a working 3G modem solution, please post in here.

I don't have my MBA yet (it's in the Air!) but when I get it, I will test it with a Verizon/Novatel 740 and a USB adapter.

Obviously a USB extension cable will work on just about anything but curious about less clunk solutions.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Use a very small extender cable and be done with it. Why be a drama queen ?

Nearly all the 3G modems the mobile companies in the Ireland & UK are all based on the Huewaii E220 USB modem and all use usb cable to attach the dongle and will work no problem.

REL005723.img

datamodem_head.jpg

596x64_bbbanner.jpg

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
There are plenty of 3G phones that have bluetooth modem capabilities. My Samsung Blackjack is one of those. On the EVDO side with Sprint in the USA, they are very tethering friendly.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
did not know that. New question,

WHY on earth would you connect that directly to a usb port? thats just asking for something to apply light pressure to it and break a usb port.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
did not know that. New question,

WHY on earth would you connect that directly to a usb port? thats just asking for something to apply light pressure to it and break a usb port.

No joke--- I lost one of the USB ports on my 12" PB when some woman next to me in an airport waiting area picked up a screaming toddler and the kid's heels side-swiped my modem sticking out of the left side.

I always use a short extender cable.

JT

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
Just about any USB adaptor will work, in fact most of them include a usb extension cable and I've even seen some that are designed to hang on the top of the back of the display.

Who really wants that thing hanging out the side of the laptop anyways?

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
All the cards work with an extension cable, which is probably a better way to go, even on a normal laptop... huge inflexible dongle coming out of your machine = asking for snap, crackle and pop. I broke the USB port on a Dell once (my cousin's) cause I left a USB flash drive in it, then forgot, and picked it up funny.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I ordered this extension from Belkin.

I'm hoping this will allow me to turn the modem (my U727) back parallel to the edge of the MBA. Check out the video of on that page of how it works with an MBP.

I think that looks better than it sticking out perpendicular anyway. I'll take a picture on the MBA if I can get my hands on an MBA!

I'm also going to see how this works in my bag. Hopefully when we travel I can just keep it in my bag or near the hotel window so my wife can share the connection as well.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I like the UM150 USB EVDO Rev A modem

I was offered a UM150 free as a replacement for my USB720 USB EVDO Rev A modem. The UM150 has a articulating USB connector. Not only does it save your USB port from being "torqued" but it allows you to have the modem sitting vertically instead of sticking out horizontally where it can get bumped.

It also comes with an chrome antenna that extends out like a car's radio antenna. I not only use it on Mac laptops, but it also works on Mac desktops.

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008

I'm hoping this will allow me to turn the modem (my U727) back parallel to the edge of the MBA. Check out the video of on that page of how it works with an MBP.

I think that looks better than it sticking out perpendicular anyway. I'll take a picture on the MBA if I can get my hands on an MBA!

I'm also going to see how this works in my bag. Hopefully when we travel I can just keep it in my bag or near the hotel window so my wife can share the connection as well.

I have a handful of those Belkin connectors. The modem is heavy enough to cause some of them to flop around a little left and right. I still like em though. :)

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I use an extension cable because I do not like the thing sticking out...

I do wish apple would have offered an intergrated solution for this awhile ago.

As dumb as it sounds, the main thing that keeps me away from this computer...

BritinNC

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
NC
Anyone got 'Back to my Mac' working on mobile broadband?

The router solution looks interesting. The one question I have for everyone here is whether anyone can tell me whether back to my mac works over the EVDO network. I have found the Back to my Mac is a little temperamental at best, I can use it when I'm in a 'clean' environment such as someone else's house, but it doesn't work when I'm at my client's office even though they claim they are not stopping any ports on the 'guest' network I use. Since I don't know what it is that prevents it from working I was wondering if anyone who uses mobile broadband and leopard has confirmed this feature works or not.

Thanks in advance

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
The router solution looks interesting. The one question I have for everyone here is whether anyone can tell me whether back to my mac works over the EVDO network. I have found the Back to my Mac is a little temperamental at best, I can use it when I'm in a 'clean' environment such as someone else's house, but it doesn't work when I'm at my client's office even though they claim they are not stopping any ports on the 'guest' network I use. Since I don't know what it is that prevents it from working I was wondering if anyone who uses mobile broadband and leopard has confirmed this feature works or not.

Thanks in advance

I'd be very interested in hearing about this too. Given the small size of the MBA's on board storage, I'm planning to rely on "back to my mac" a fair bit. Probably over EVDO most of the time (not enough 802.11 out there to rely on it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.