Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Erica Sadun over at TUAW has found evidence in the latest iPhone firmware that Apple had built in table support for to-do tasks.

CREATE TABLE Task (ROWID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT, summary TEXT, priority INTEGER, due_date INTEGER, completion_date INTEGER, calendar_id INTEGER);

Erica notes that as of now, the support is left unused, as the firmware does not have the capability to sync or create to-dos. However, the find may indicate that Apple is planning an update to support the feature in the future.

Article Link

Cronikeys

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I'm excited about the end to the countless GTD webapps ha ha...

Why is this feature taking so long? Aren't todo lists the "hello world" of database programming?
I hope a few new official apple native apps are on their way! iChat? Back to Mac? Wifi streaming? Voice recording/dialing?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I'm excited about the end to the countless GTD webapps ha ha...

Why is this feature taking so long? Aren't todo lists the "hello world" of database programming?
I hope a few new official apple native apps are on their way! iChat? Back to Mac? Wifi streaming? Voice recording/dialing?

Apple is taking things slowly with the iphone. If they threw in memo syncing, todos, and all the other mainstay business apps on day one, Apple would be seriously compared with Palm, Blackberry and other hardcore business phones. Just like they did with the original ipod with video that wasn't really a video player, the iphone is just an ipod with a phone. I'm guessing that when the SDK comes out and Notes and Exchange support become available, Apple will add support for Notes, todos, and many other tools that business users need. Can't wait till the end of the month.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Apple is taking things slowly with the iphone. If they threw in memo syncing, todos, and all the other mainstay business apps on day one, Apple would be seriously compared with Palm, Blackberry and other hardcore business phones. Just like they did with the original ipod with video that wasn't really a video player, the iphone is just an ipod with a phone. I'm guessing that when the SDK comes out and Notes and Exchange support become available, Apple will add support for Notes, todos, and many other tools that business users need. Can't wait till the end of the month.

They are taking things slowly, but when they come out, they are damned sure going to make sure they work 100% like its supposed to. A little waiting very rarely hurts.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well, its probably slightly more complicated. From those strings, they're tying things in with the Calendar. Perhaps they are are designing a real slick, easy interface with built in items and ways to integrate it with the operating system so pop up notices appear if things go past due. Still, probably not that complicated, but when you have things like Safari and the iPod crashing randomly, along with trying to further lock down the firmware basebands to protect their profit sharing with AT&T and others, along with providing security for the new, 3rd party apps and even putting together an easy to use SDK, I doubt this is their top priority.

My theory is these are probably hooks for the SDK so someone can make their own to-do list app. I haven't programmed anything for the iPhone, but perhaps before there weren't the same hooks into the Calendar that there were for Google Maps, etc, for 3rd party programs--or at least an easy, clean way to do it.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
They are taking things slowly, but when they come out, they are damned sure going to make sure they work 100% like its supposed to. A little waiting very rarely hurts.

That is the way I prefer it. People have complained since day one about how slow Apple has put new things on the iPhone, but I don't really mind. I would much rather wait for something instead of getting it and having it suck.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005

Yeah, but come on, task support? This is basic stuff. I'm absolutely shocked that the iPhone shipped without, and still lacks, this basic feature. The fact that my "smart phone" will not show me my to-dos for the day is absurd. I don't think any of us should be giving Apple a pass for this glaring omission.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
It will be a feature of a major iPhone software update, where JObs will stand on stage giving a presentation about how cool syncing To-Do's etc.. are..

I mean, yeah, I am amazed that this feature is not even in and really miss it from all my other "smart phones" i had previously.

Come on Apple, forget the jiggle icons and work on useful functionality!!! :D

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My favorite to-do list work around so far is Google. I input everything I have to do each day into my Google Calendar. Then I have it set up to email me my itinerary for the day. It is sitting in my inbox every morning (or at least it should be...I suffer from a bug where my iPhone doesn't automatically check for email on some days?). Anyway...I just wish I could check it off as I go. I added a little webapp the other day called noter which does this...but I wish it could import info from the web. I hope that the Apple version...if there is one...or whatever comes out will allow syncing with Google Calendar so I don't have to type them all on my iPhone every day.

The most exciting part of the SDK for me is the apps Google will make for it. You know they will make a better Calendar, Gmail app, along with RSS feeders and Docs. Maybe even their own finder like Google desktop search or whatever its called.

tadunne

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Birmingham UK

I'm guessing they will release a Business package (as a separate paid for download?) for the iphone that give the mail and calendar app exchange support/caldev and the calendar needs to have the ability to schedule meetings etc..
It would be cool to have a cut down iwork so some basic editing of documents can happen?

I hope by the time the 3G phone come out they greatly enhance the phone side of things with bluetooth file sharing, mms etc..

pogwilson@ntlwo

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2007
London, UK
A To Do list for Apple

1. add To Do support to the iPhone
2. add notes syncing to the iPhone
3. add cut and paste to the iPhone

See how useful simple to do lists can be ;)

andyone

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Are you kidding? The iPhone does not support ToDos? This is ridiculous. EVERY phone that ever came out in the last 3 years supports that.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Are you kidding? The iPhone does not support ToDos? This is ridiculous. EVERY phone that ever came out in the last 3 years supports that.

Really? I've owned several phones in the last 3 years, and have yet to see ToDo lists. This claim seems a bit sensational.

Besides, wait a month. The SDK release will produce a dozen ToDoers in the first week.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Really? I've owned several phones in the last 3 years, and have yet to see ToDo lists. This claim seems a bit sensational.
Both my Sony Ericssons, even older than 3 years.. And two Nokias have todos out of the box.. Certainly also everything running Palmos or Symbian (or Windows Mobile!) does have it, or could easily have it added if they somehow forgot to include it to begin with.

It does seem a pretty bizarre omission, as phones are one of the best places to put them! :confused:

andyone

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Correction, I meant every smart phone. For example the SE K700. It came out 2004, cost about 29€ with my 5€ plan, and works better with the OS X calendar than the iPhone which is 10 times as expensive...

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005

Besides, wait a month. The SDK release will produce a dozen ToDoers in the first week.

My nokia 6230i does, as do the 2 sony ericsson phones i owned before it. These aren't even "smart" phones!

moatas

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007

I really miss this feature as well. I do use "remember the milk" at times, but mostly just use the notes feature maintininf a task per line and deleting the line when I am done. Simplistic, but works for now.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I get by with just notes... If I'm running to Target I just make a list in my Notes and when I get something I delete it.

How's that for a 3rd party app?;)

What would be the big advantage of a to-do list? Being able to put checks beside them?

ifonline

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Braselton, Georgia
I get by with just notes... If I'm running to Target I just make a list in my Notes and when I get something I delete it.

How's that for a 3rd party app?;)

What would be the big advantage of a to-do list? Being able to put checks beside them?

The convenience of saved lists, like grocery lists, where you go to market, check off your items, and when done, reset the list so you can do it again in a week. Organization, especially with indented lists, is also a nice plus to a proper todo app.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I hope this is true. I rely heavily on task lists etc. Also, I wish iCal had an option for repeating tasks.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
the SDK for iPhone is released (or nearly so) and new apps will flow like widgets. ToDo apps are an obvious early product.(free or for $$)

Flail

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I have been thinking it would be exciting if there was the option of linking to-do's with Google Maps. That way you could make more of an itinerary. For instance, a map of, in my case, Sarasota pops up and I see flags that show that I need to start across town at Sam's and get blah-de-blah, move on to Target for this-and-that, swing by Dark Side for reading material and finally stop at Borders for coffee and DVDs. This would help with my foggy garbage dump of a memory, especially if I could just swipe an item and it would disappear from my list, leaving stuff for that location that I need to get next time I'm there.

If I had any ability to program, I'd make it. Then I'd just have to get the darn iPhone to use it on :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.