Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Hey guys, i was just thinking about the future of Apple... remember HOW big of a deal Mac OS X was? At the time it came out it completely OBLITERATED competition in style and usability. At least in my opinion it did.

We all know EVENTUALLY (even thouhg apple confirmed OS X will continue on for about another 10 years) that apple will move onto Mac OS XI (11)... unless some crazy unexpected occurs... that causes apple to be no more... but way things are looking apple will be getting stronger before they get weaker again.

So what im getting at is.... I can bet ya (unless apple's strategy drastically changes) that when Mac OS XI comes out, it's gonna hit the competition HARD. By that i mean it's gonna find an entirely new way to revolutionize computers, cause thats just the way apple is.

What i was thinking about is how/what could apple possibly do? I'm thining future is mutli-touch controls. By this i mean, macbooks have NO trackpad but continue to use a keyboard (cause... NOTHING can replace the keyboard) Desktops, only come with a keyboard. OF course this would require an advanced tablet computer and not appeal to everyone... so maybe it'd still have support for a mouse?

Another point Id like to point out... is in 10 years.. Apple could be HUGE, they gained a whole market share percent (maybe more, i cant quite remember) this year... next year they gain 2%... year afterwards 4%? so on and on. I honestly never see apple getting over 50% marketshare (i actually pray to god that apple NEVER does) but i mean, by Mac OS XI apple could be huge... and who knows where microsoft could be... for fricks sake I wouldn't doubt Google dominating the markets in the long future.

Anyways I think i brought a few topics up for a good discussion, so i'd like to hear what you guys think Mac OS XI could be like... and also what you think apple/the industry will be like in the long future (talking about 10 or so years)

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I too find this topic interesting. I've always wondered where we will be in a few years. It sometimes doesn't seems like technology could improve any further. It's as if we are reaching the end of a time line or something. Before, Apple would jump way ahead of the competition, but with Vista's new security, it seems that Microsoft is catching up while Apple is just working on the nit picky stuff. An example would be how Leopard was not as big of an update over Tiger that Tiger was over Panther. Leopard mainly added nice, but non-essential changes like Cover Flow, Stacks and Spaces.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Tom Cruise had the answer...

Attachments

• minority_report3.jpg
    minority_report3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 117

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I think we'd have to see some change in human interface devices or a big change in computer performance abilities for an OS to be more modern and usable than OSX.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It's an interesting question.

On the aviation front concerning the future, I enjoy the movie, "The Final Countdown." The movie presents a very nice contrast in 40 years of military aviation changes.

In the area of computers, we see on Star Trek TNG where everyone interfaces with the computer in interesting ways. Star Wars, Alien, Minority Report, etc. are all examples of what might be.

Having been in the world of computers since the mid 70's I have seen many ideas come to change and others simply fall away. One of those that fell away was voice recognition. Years ago it seemed to be touted at the end all interface. Personally, I could never imagine an office filled with folks talking to their computer to control it. The pen interface was another one. Somehow the simple keyboard has survived and continues to survive for the time being. Who knows, we may see virtual keyboards become common.

I think one thing is for certain. And that hardware will continue to improve, and software will lag behind. ;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I think we'd have to see some change in human interface devices or a big change in computer performance abilities for an OS to be more modern and usable than OSX.

yeah, you're probably right. mainly the software is going to have be written better for all these cores and all this ram in the machines coming out

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I too find this topic interesting. I've always wondered where we will be in a few years. It sometimes doesn't seems like technology could improve any further. It's as if we are reaching the end of a time line or something. Before, Apple would jump way ahead of the competition, but with Vista's new security, it seems that Microsoft is catching up while Apple is just working on the nit picky stuff. An example would be how Leopard was not as big of an update over Tiger that Tiger was over Panther. Leopard mainly added nice, but non-essential changes like Cover Flow, Stacks and Spaces.

and what did tiger add to panther....spotlight dashboard lol

i think you are underestimating the upgrades

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
yeah, you're probably right. mainly the software is going to have be written better for all these cores and all this ram in the machines coming out

correct me if im wrong, but isnt one of the features in leopard, is the fact apple said that leopard is able to work with multiple cores more efficiently then any other OS right now?

Honestly, i dont disagree that software will be bhind hardware... but I think apple is the only company thats doing a decent job keeping up with advanced hardware.

5 years from now microsofts new OS will be able to work with mutlitple cores.. but by then, computers could be coming standard with 32 cores, and 16Gb of RAM. (maybe that an exageration... maybe its not)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Honestly, i dont disagree that software will be bhind hardware...
If the past is any indication of the future, this will continue to be true.

Hardware capability changes so quickly that it is hard for the OS guys, let alone the software developers, to take advantage of the changes.

Apple's OS X model has been a good one for them.

Microsoft has the legacy x86 issue to deal with, along with their developers.

It will be interesting to see if Intel goes a different direction than x86 in the future. However, I doubt that they will ever drop support for it.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
If the past is any indication of the future, this will continue to be true.

Hardware capability changes so quickly that it is hard for the OS guys, let alone the software developers, to take advantage of the changes.

Apple's OS X model has been a good one for them.

Microsoft has the legacy x86 issue to deal with, along with their developers.

It will be interesting to see if Intel goes a different direction than x86 in the future. However, I doubt that they will ever drop support for it.

Don't mind me asking please but I'm curious, what is this x86 legacy microsoft has to deal with? I've never heard of a such thing. Sorry to be a noon :p

One thing I shoulda said earlier is: apple will always stay ahead in software for one simple reason
Every 1 year (or so, leopards case was 2 years) apple releases n upgrade with a few new features.

Every five years microsoft releases an upgrade with about as many new features as apple would've released in total in those five years.

Apples plan is perfect except at $129 an upgrade we pay more for yearly upgrades. Apple needs to lower their price on 10.x upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.