Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I have a unlocked 1.1.2 iPhone that stopped responding to touch an hour ago.
I got a tmobile pay as you go sim card about a week ago, and everything has been working good with that. I didn't drop it or anything like that to make it stop working.

I know that it sometimes stops responding to touch, I sleep it and slide to unlock and it works again.

What I need to know is if there is anything I can do right now to get it working again? If not, I need to back up my notes over ssh if possible, then restore to 1.1.2. (and if that dosen't fix it, I know its bad.)

Thanks for suggestions in advance!

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Can I just get the 1.1.2 firmware and restore it?

Do I need to get the 1.1.1, jailbreakme, octoprep, then upgrade to 1.1.2?

I haven't done this in a while, so any tips would be appreciated...

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
Can I just get the 1.1.2 firmware and restore it?

Do I need to get the 1.1.1, jailbreakme, octoprep, then upgrade to 1.1.2?

I haven't done this in a while, so any tips would be appreciated...

you need to restore and downgrade to 1.1.1 to jailbreak again sadly. Pisses me off everytime something is wrong with the phone so you need to restore. Ya just backup everything and go ahead :)

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I dont have 60 dollars a month...

I only put down $10 for the sim card and put 30 minutes on it. It works for me.

Ill try restoring to 1.1.1 now then.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I just restored it to 1.1.1, ran iNdependence once, and now Im at the Activate iPhone screen, ready to jailbreakme.com.

Problem is, I cant slide for emergency. The touch still doesn't work...

Now what do I do? Should I call Apple? Take it into the store?

I can say it stopped working, so I restored it, and now it still doesn't work, and this is where I am now...

Brunz

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Bottom touch screen does not work

Hi,

I got the same problem with the bottom end of my screen.

did you got it fixed?

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I took it to the Apple store, and they said I need to have an active AT&T account for service on it.

I don't have my sim card (I lost it, dammit) so I need to get a replacement sim from the AT&T store, register in itunes, take it to the Apple store for service, get a fixed phone, cancel the AT&T plan, jailbreak and unlock new phone...

Still waiting on going to get a replacement sim card.

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
I dont have 60 dollars a month...

I only put down $10 for the sim card and put 30 minutes on it. It works for me.

Ill try restoring to 1.1.1 now then.

Cant afford 60 bucks a month but can front 400-600 for a phone? Maybe an iphone wasn't the best financial decision? I am not trying to be a jerk here, but I wonder what some people sacrifice to have an iphone sometimes.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I am 16 years old, and don't need a phone unless I am driving or at college. Basically for emergencies, and 10 cent texts to whoever I need to communicate with.

We do have a family phone that my brothers and I share, and thats what I've been using. With 20 dollars to get a pay as you go card, it will last me a few months and then I can pay 10 dollars again. (then I don't have to carry a cell phone and an iPod with me).

I would rather save 2 years (Total of $1440), use my iPhone, and get something like a new MBP.

Sorry about going off topic, but Im still saving up $25 for that replacement sim card though.

Brunz

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
I took it to the Apple store, and they said I need to have an active AT&T account for service on it.

I don't have my sim card (I lost it, dammit) so I need to get a replacement sim from the AT&T store, register in itunes, take it to the Apple store for service, get a fixed phone, cancel the AT&T plan, jailbreak and unlock new phone...

Still waiting on going to get a replacement sim card.

How much does it cost to activate the iphone and then cancel the activateion and the service to AT&T?

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
The whole shenanigan cost me $0.00.

I went to the AT&T store, and the guy gave me a sim card (punch out credit card type thing) for free, I registered it sitting at the genius bar, handed him my broken (and now registered with phone number phone), and I got a shiney new refurb iPhone! I just called AT&T, and canceled for free (within the first 3 days).

So, now I have a factory activated 1.1.3 iPhone. How do I go about unlocking and getting installer.app on there the easiest way?

Does anyone recommend waiting for the SDK update so I can go into it with a virgin iPhone?

Thanks!

Edit: already trying this out - http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/Unlock_Activate_Jailbreak_113_iPhone

Double Edit: Ok, its activated and jailbroken with installer.app, now I don't know what booloader it has (I cant find hw info in installer)

I have a week 05 iPhone (apparently), but Im not sure because its a refurb... Is there any easy ways to tell?

Tripeley Edit: It works! I now have an unlocked 1.1.3 shiney new iPhone! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.